General Discussion about various 24-Hour Races. What are your favorites? (Read 890 times)

--- I have done only one 24-hour race, the Hampton VA 24-Hour Run for Cancer iin Apr 2012, but I loved this race.  (Correction, Loved it through mile 30, hated it by mile 40 and felt I would never do one again, then 2 days later I loved it again and can't wait for the 2013 race).

But this is just a general discussion with the main focus being what 24-hour races have you run, and which do you feel were the best??

I am considering the Peanut Island-24, and also I have put the North Coast-24 Fall race on my schedule.  Other races I have looked at are the Dumass events races (24 hours of HOSTELity and the Merrill Mile 24-hour race in GA). 

Anyone have any other 24-hour races that they would do (or would not do) again? 

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Purdey

Self anointed title

Sri Chinmoy 24hr, Tooting Bec.  Fantastic field - usually has several over 140 mi and a few over 150 mi.

I'm sure that DoppleBock and WrigleyGirl can give you more.

I believe there's something called 3 Days at the Fair, or something.  HasherRick is your man for that.

Samurai in Training

I just moved to your neck of the woods.  It is good to know that there is a 24 hour race in Hampton.  I wouldn't be ready for April, but maybe in 2014.

I've run the North Coast 24 Hour race in 2011 and loved it.  It was a great race and is often a Championship race so you can meet some pretty big names in the sport.  The first year I visited and watched the race I got to meet and speak with Scott Jurek.  Each year I have a large number of friends that run the race.

delicate flower

I have done four 24 hour mountain bike relay races.  Finished second once in the two man division.  I have yet to experience that level of TIRED again and lack the vocabulary to adequately describe it. 

I know it's not running but I JUST WANTED TO PARTICIPATE! 

<3

toyger

I ran the 12 hour option at North Coast this past year and loved it. In 2013, I'm signing up for the NJ Trails Series--3 Days at the Fair 24 hour run in May and just registered for NC24 in September.

Jen

toyger

p.s., I recently moved to Richmond, VA in 2011. I've heard about the VA run for cancer and was thinking about signing up for it in 2013, but it's too close to 3 Days at the Fair. Maybe 2014!

Jen

Purdey

Self anointed title

And for those whose world doesn't begin and end at the US border.... there are some amazing 24hr races in other parts of the world.

This weekend there is a top class field for a 24hr race on the track at the Bislett stadium in Oslo.  I have a friend or two running there.

This is the webcam page:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bislett-24-timers

toyger

And for those whose world doesn't begin and end at the US border.... there are some amazing 24hr races in other parts of the world.

This weekend there is a top class field for a 24hr race on the track at the Bislett stadium in Oslo.  I have a friend or two running there.

This is the webcam page:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bislett-24-timers

Very cool! Thanks, Purdey!

Jen

DoppleBock

NorthCoast - Fall 24 x 2 (.9 mile paved loop)

Badgerland Striders Track 24 x1 (400 meter HS rubberized track)

Brive France 24 x1 (1250 meter mixed loop - Pavement, gravel & Cobblestone)

FANS24 x 3 (4 kilometer paved loop with a dirt/grass option 95% of loop)

Soon I will do the Desert Solstice 24 (Dec 15-16)

I like the distance at FANS24 - Long enough to spread people out and have a more Meaty lap, but short enough to get at your stuff plenty of times.

Ultra-Centric has more elevation change than you would think, but not too much, the issue is more with the quality of the pavement.

San Francisco 1 day is @ 1 mile smooth dirt loop

Freedom Park is a paved loop - Can get cold end of Dec in NC

The organization at NC24, BLS24 track and FANS24 is all top notch.  That is not always the case.

I think a great race to try would be 3 days at Fair - Definately top notch RD.

Oct 2013 - 24 the hard way is US National Championship Race.

Sometimes it depends on what you want to get out of the race - I am there to destroy myself in getting as many miles as I can.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Sometimes it depends on what you want to get out of the race - I am there to destroy myself in getting as many miles as I can.

-- Me as well.  I am new to the whole 24-hour and ultra thing, but my goal is to train myself to do as many miles as possible.  I tried the Hampton 24-Hour race here in VA and planned on doing 50 miles for my first race, but only got 40 before my legs just completely locked up on me + I could not even walk it out any more.   But... My running history is only 1.5 years of running, and my weekly mileage prior to that race was probably somewhere near only 20 miles a week.  My MPW now is 30-40, and this week I will touch 50 + Miles, and I will try to keep it in the 40-50 MPW through the winter and leading up towards the next race in April 2013.  Goal for the 2013 Hanpton race is to complete 50 to 60 miles.

-- My eventual goal is to be able to get to one of these 24-hour races and complete 100 miles and achieve belt buckle status in the races that have them.  But I realize that is a goal that is years off, and may even be an impossible goal.  Not certain yet and time will have to tell as I build mileeage and endurance. 

-- I will now ask a question that is probably not answerable, but considering my newness to long distance running, and the fact that my first attempt in Apr 2012 (when woefully underprepared) was 40 miles, and the fact that my 5K time PR's are currently 22:30ish, not the 18's and really fast speeds that others put up....  Do you think it pretty feasible that with 3-4 years of training + gradual increase in MPW to the 60+ MPW range, that I can make it someday to being able to getting 100 miles done in a 24-hour race?  (Other stats, age 40, 160 lbs, Fastest one miler was a 6:45, 10K race pace for me on a PR attempt is almost exactly 8:00/mile, Half-Marathon PR pace is about an 8:30 Mile)

-- Sorry for the long post, but I have these 24-hour races and ultras on the brain + like to get alot of opinions on what most folks with not the fastest speeds, but who do have the commitment to building up the miles, eventually end up being able to achieve as far as max distance they can achieve in a 24-hour race.  (What percentage of people with comparable speeds in a 5K at age 40 who had no prior running history end up reaching that goal would you say?)

Again, sorry for that long post, and thanks everyone so far for the information!  I assure you future posts will not be this long. (maybe). Big grin  Thanks :-)   (Also, any links to superb training for 24-hour races or great Race Reports would be something I'd love to read as well)

Samurai in Training

-- I will now ask a question that is probably not answerable, but considering my newness to long distance running, and the fact that my first attempt in Apr 2012 (when woefully underprepared) was 40 miles, and the fact that my 5K time PR's are currently 22:30ish, not the 18's and really fast speeds that others put up....  Do you think it pretty feasible that with 3-4 years of training + gradual increase in MPW to the 60+ MPW range, that I can make it someday to being able to getting 100 miles done in a 24-hour race? 

-- Sorry for the long post, but I have these 24-hour races and ultras on the brain + like to get alot of opinions on what most folks with not the fastest speeds, but who do have the commitment to building up the miles, eventually end up being able to achieve as far as max distance they can achieve in a 24-hour race.  (What percentage of people with comparable speeds in a 5K at age 40 who had no prior running history end up reaching that goal woudl you say?)

Again, sorry for that long post, and thanks everyone so far for the information!  I assure you future posts will not be this long. (maybe). Big grin  Thanks :-) 

Absolutely.  100 miles is achievable in that time frame.  If you can keep playing it smart, you can continue to build up the mileage and get 100 in 24 hours.  Here is my race report from 2011.  I had a broken pelvis and still came back with 100 miles in my first Ultra.

I ran 40 miles on my 40th birthday and did my the 24 hours race a little over a year later.  My 5k race times before I started training for the 24 hour race was averaging in the mid 19s.  After all the slow long runs I was getting about 22 or 23 5k times.  You have to prepare yourself mentally to get slower.  

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I crewed at NC24 in September. Despite my preference for shorter races, e.g. 5K and under, I was intrigued enough by the race and impressed enough by the RD and race organization that I will be back next year for my first venture into the ultra world with the 12-hour option.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Samurai in Training

I crewed at NC24 in September. Despite my preference for shorter races, e.g. 5K and under, I was intrigued enough by the race and impressed enough by the RD and race organization that I will be back next year for my first venture into the ultra world with the 12-hour option.

No WAY!!!  This is amazing news.  I may have to venture back to Cleveland for another go at it.

Eddiemoto, how in the world did you kick out 100 miles with a broken pelvis!  -- I am heading next to read your Race Report on that one. :-)

Also, how many MPW were you running prior to doing that first 100 mile ultra??

WC runner, one of the most Respected runners at RWOL,  good to see you over here :-) (Or have you been over here for some time?) If you are doing the 2012 fall NC-24, I will be at that one. (Not going to do spring because that conflicts with the Hampton race around the same time).   

But... My running history is only 1.5 years of running, and my weekly mileage prior to that race was probably somewhere near only 20 miles a week.  

That is astonishing to me! I thought you might have done 100+ MPW and have ran 10 years.

A 24-hour race to me sounds like suicidal, but of course anything is possible when you put a mind on it firmly, such as Eddie Izzard completed 43 marathons in 51 days after training for only 5 weeks. He ran one marathon a day, 6 days a week for 7 weeks straight and raised over £1million.

MTA: add Eddie Izzard story.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)