Elevation Gain and Loss (Read 1886 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Any chance a couple of fields could be added to input these values.  Is really valuable information especially on hillier runs.

MTA: I know that GPS read provides this information but would like to see it on the main page with the other values (page, HR max, HR avg, etc. ).   So figured me manually entering would be easier than pulling from GPS data..??

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

Feeling the growl again

GPS elevation data is worthless.  Too much error.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kenotic Runner

GPS isn't worthless. This morning's run started around 7,400 ft above sea-level, turn around point on the summit was around 9,100 ft elevation. This summer I'm needing to track week's total elevation gains in ways similar to tracking the week's total horizontal distance too. Personally, I'd love a way to track via RA. Mostly the run's highpoint minus the lowpoint. It would be really cool if there were a smoothing threshold in the calculation. GPS elevation isn't accurate for hills, but it is useful for mountain trail running.
        eric :)

This can definitely be added.  Before it can be done, I need to do some modifications to the editor page first.
          Kenotic Runner

That would be great!!!

Right now I'm (poorly) manually keeping track of week's total elevation gains.  Would love to be able to graph "Elevation Gain (High - Low)" and "Elevation Gain (Cumulative)" as a Y-Axis items similar to the other items.

Eric, your work is stellar.  This is about the only feature "missing" for me, for what I do.

Imminent Catastrophe

I wouldn't say that GPS elevation is worthless. It has a large error bar for smaller hills but like Kenotic said it's still useful for larger elevation changes, especially if you use the smoothing function. I can generally get the elevation error down to 50 ft or so. Eric--is there a way to use Google elevation data like you can with the maps?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

What do you mean use "Google elevation data"?
                dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I think he means that when you map out the course with the google map feature in courses there is a squiggly line that you can click and it gives you the elevation profile with total up hill and total down hill and net change. 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Kenotic Runner

Nice idea, Perfesser.

Here's a site I personally sometimes use to get elevation profiles when planning runs:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Note the "Elevation: off | small | large" capability.

They're picking up X, Y, and Z coordinates off the Google API it appears.

Rather than using the elevation data off the GPS, it seems it would be much more accurate to use the X, Y coordinates off the GPS to then pick up the elevation for those X, Y coordinates from the Google API.

Here's a favorite Colorado Springs run you can test with:

http://www.stepwhere.com/maps/route/Manitou-Incline-return-on-Barr-Trail

You can Share/Download the GPX file.

Many of the athletes at the Olympic Training Center here train on this beat.  I've Apolo Anton Ohno hops up 1,000 vertical feet on one leg and then hops up the other 1,000 vertical feet on the other leg.

Kenotic Runner,
                      I believe Perfessor was referring to elevation data collected by GPS units.  This is different from manually created maps.  Either way, try clicking    on the map's toolbar.  That'll display the elevation profile.  RA has the most feature packed map editor for years now.  The next release will have a few more features to make it even better.  Maybe then you'll use it more often Wink
                      Kenotic Runner

Eric, sorry I've used another map.

Any thoughts on using the Google data for elevation rather than the GPS's?

Imminent Catastrophe

Eric,

Here's what I meant:

If you map the course from a Forerunner and upload it to RA it will initially display the raw GPS elevation, which is very rough. Then if you uncheck the elevation profile, then check it back on again, it will display the Google elevation profile (much more accurate). 

I'm not a techie but could you use the resulting Garmin elevation data for these calculations? 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

xhristopher

If you map the course from a Forerunner and upload it to RA it will initially display the raw GPS elevation, which is very rough. Then if you uncheck the elevation profile, then check it back on again, it will display the Google elevation profile (much more accurate). 

Thanks for the tip/hack. Now I recognize the elevation profile on my runs (and rides).

Russ,
                              The Garmin elevation data is practically useless.  During testing, I encountered many instances where the device elevation is completely different from the reference elevation data.  Bad data is worse than no data.  I will add elevation correction in a future release.

Imminent Catastrophe

No, I am referring to Google (or USGS or whatever the maps use) elevation data, not Garmin. I'm well aware of the limitations of the Garmin (GPS-derived) elevation data. I was saying perhaps you could derive elevation from Google for better accuracy, and use this to calculate gain/loss.