PT to help shins heal (Read 889 times)

I went to a PT for BAD shinsplints that I had ignored until I had grape size nodules ..they did a technique called ASTYM on me...worked FABULOUSLY. Hurt like sin.
    I had some small nodules, too (not grape size though). What's ASTYM? And, did they go away immediately? I mean like, finish PT, then go out and start building your mileage back up? I have my last scheduled appt tomorrow, and I hope he'll tell me to go and try out my "new shins" over the weekend. My soreness is just about gone, and I can't feel the lumpiness (scar tissue) that was there before. I want to be cured so bad I can't stand it! MTA: Goggled ASTYM.... I think that is basically what he did to me, except he used his thumbs instead of some sort of "instrument". OUCH! He told me he did a residency in England with a rugby team, and the PT used ome sort of hook looking thing with a ball on the end to break up the scar tissue. That sounds worse than thumbs to me. Tongue I don't know how it could be worse, but sounds like it.

A Saucy Wench

I had some small nodules, too (not grape size though). What's ASTYM? And, did they go away immediately? I mean, like, finish PT, then go out and start building your mileage back up? I have my last scheduled appt tomorrow, and I hope he'll tell me to go and try out my "new shins" over the weekend. My soreness is just about gone, and I can't feel the lumpiness (scar tissue) that was there before. I want to be cured so bad I can't stand it!
      Astym is a technique where they scrape your legs and feet with lucite scraping things. The theory is that "muscle fibers are supposed to lie parallel, like spaghetti in the box, scar tissue is jumbled like spaghetti on the plate" and they comb the fibers so that the scar tissue breaks up and the fibers go the right way. You can tell where you had scar tissue because you bruise there. Nice. Fabulous like you are supposed to KEEP running while they do it. Maybe at reduced mileage if ramping too fast is your cause. And with other PT exercises to address the root cause (in my case chronic tight calves combined with post pregnancy piriformis weakness) But you need to keep the muscles working to realign the fibers or whatever mumbojumbo.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Marathonjunkie

Ice Cream Man

I went to a PT for BAD shinsplints that I had ignored until I had grape size nodules ..they did a technique called ASTYM on me...worked FABULOUSLY. Hurt like sin.
        Is ASTYM an acronym for something and if so what? I have heard the term E-stim thrown around for electrical stimulation. Is it the same thing?
        Some guys will do anything for Ice Cream.
          OOhhhh. I wish they had told me to keep running. Elliptical is as good as I got. Smile Better than nothing at all, I guess. I definately bruised as well. Looked awful. I'll let you know how it goes the next few days. Big grin Thanks

A Saucy Wench

Is ASTYM an acronym for something and if so what? I have heard the term E-stim thrown around for electrical stimulation. Is it the same thing?
            nope no electrical stuff...too bad, I always liked when that was part of my PT Roll eyes http://www.astym.com/

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7