Mens Olympic 10k (spoiler) (Read 532 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Geez, Ethiopia is the new Kenya. Looks like the USA still has a ways to go to be competitive at this distance.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

missy1102

Geez, Ethiopia is the new Kenya. Looks like the USA still has a ways to go to be competitive at this distance.
      at least the u.s. men weren't lapped Shocked (or NBC didn't show it if they were)
        I don't think there is much money in it other than a shoe sponsor, in the U.S. there aren't many people getting up and worrying about their 10K times, but they might play basketball in a pickup game, have their kids play in a camp, or go to a game. Until the interest grows more like soccer, you won't see us winning these events thats why I like Jeremy Warnier, but yet he isn't getting much attention either.

Ham & Egger

From Letsrun: "The sentimental choice for a medal may be the Great One, Haile Gebrselassie, in what will presumably be his international swan song in the event. Geb has won six outdoor and four indoor global track titles, has set 18 world records on the track and 7 additional world bests on the road in his unrivaled career, his latest global mark coming on Sept. 30th, 2007 in Berlin, when he averaged 4:44.75 per mile (2:56.94 per kilometer) to run 2:04:26 for the marathon. His last global championship came in the Sydney Olympics; he passed the Olympic 10,000m crown to countryman Bekele four years ago in Athens, finishing 5th in that race, and his chances for a medal are marginal but remain alive." Ethiopia may have the greatest distance runner in history, but very few people in this country know him...it's a crying shame.
          www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com

Ham & Egger

And lest us forget the women's 10k champion and her fiercest rival...Ethiopa is not the new Kenya--they've kind of owned this distance.

Imminent Catastrophe

And lest us forget the women's 10k champion and her fiercest rival...Ethiopa is not the new Kenya--they've kind of owned this distance.
              You're right of course, it's just that most people (in the USA, at least) think all the middle- and long-distance champs are from Kenya, and Ethiopia has gotten little credit.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ham & Egger

I don't think there is much money in it other than a shoe sponsor, in the U.S. there aren't many people getting up and worrying about their 10K times, but they might play basketball in a pickup game, have their kids play in a camp, or go to a game. Until the interest grows more like soccer, you won't see us winning these events thats why I like Jeremy Warnier, but yet he isn't getting much attention either.
                I'm not asking this to be contrary, but more just a wondering aloud. We may not dominate the distances, but we certainly dominate the sprints. Yet, I'm not certain we have tons of kids clamoring to do the 400 either. Both sprinting and distance are not on the mainstream map so to speak, in other words. If this is indeed the case, we do we dominate sprints (I know, the Jamaicans do as well, but just saying)... Perfesser: Side not, didn't mean to sound to snarky. It's just sad to me that one of the greatest runners of this era is relatively little known among us, while other runners with lesser pedigree get more press. O

Future running partner.

Bekele runs a 53s final quarter, sets an OR, with lots left in the tank! Holy Crap! This guy could probably win the 1500 with that kind of speed, and he probably will win the 5000. Nice run by Rupp as well. Shalane definately deserves some props for her bronze and AR!