2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

gusgordon

Scratch my name from the list.

Fractured 5th metatarsal on this mornings run. Rolled/sprained my ankle and hit the ground hard on the *&&^%$#@ sidewalk.

Ouch.  Sorry to hear that.

Fractured 5th metatarsal on this mornings run. Rolled/sprained my ankle and hit the ground hard on the *&&^%$#@ sidewalk.

Well, crap!  Heal fast, man.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

ooph.  best of luck in your recovery.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

DoppleBock

Sorry Oldman

Damn this thread fell so far down the list that I accidently posted in the 3:30 thread

How are the rest of you all doing?  How is training going?

I think I am right at 3 hour shape - I need to get 15-20 more seconds of fitness to leave no doubt in case of poor conditions.  Still running early season base building workouts.  Boston is not the goal, so no attempt to peak for it.

Here it rained a bunch and then froze hard ~ We will have bad ice for a few weeks.  I will likely continue with more runs that I would like on TM.  The probelme with TM is 2 fold:  1)  It takes 3-4 weeks to get your road legs after the TM and 2)  TM work out speeds are not the same a road workout speeds.  If they were I would writing I was in 2:55 shape right now.

Current training remains 3 fold

1)  Glorified striders to try and resurect some leg speed = 12-15x1 minute fast or 12x1.5 minutes fast with 2 minutes recovery.

2)  Easy LAT workout = 20-25 minutes @ T or 5-6x1 mile at T or T-5-10 seconds

3)  8-12 miles @ MP (I have done 8,9,10 so far)

Since goal races are in August, I would like to continue to bring myself along patiently and slowly.

Mileage remains in the middle of the 80-110 goal range.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Right on Hereford...

Ok, I'll post an update...

Boston training is going pretty well. Did my first 20-miler of this session on Sunday. Didn't feel all that great, but got it done. Coach has us doing workouts on Wednesdays and Saturdays, so the Sunday long run is always a "time on feet" easy pace run. But, an "easy" 20 following a big Saturday workout never feels easy.

Slowly ramping up mileage. 70 last week and shooting for 75 this week, then I'll step down next week. Signed up for the Augusta (Georgia) Half on Sunday Feb 24, so I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of shape I'm really in. Would love to get a half marathon PR, since that hasn't happened in 4 years!

F Winter and Nemo. Angry

aretequest

I guess I will provide an update as well.   After holding flat at 45 MPW for about a month, I finally found my groove and stepped up my training for Boston.  I have decided to use Hansons and would love to hear from any ex Pfitzers doing the same.   So far I am really enjoying the ride.   My weekly tempo segment is up to 8M and I just finished my final speed work session of the cycle yesterday.  I did most of the speed on the mill at about 9.9 MPH.   My tempos have been 6:50-6:55/M.   My long runs are up to 17M at a little over 8 min/mile.   I will start doing a bit more fast finishes so these will probably come down to the 7:50s, I would guess.   Hope to peak my mileage into the 70s...but am taking it slow so I can make sure and hit my quality workout paces.  Last week was just under 60M.

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether or not I'm on track...which typically means that I'm not on track.

The Pros:

New 15k PR of 56:42 the other weekend.

Track work's been good (3x Mile at 5:24 +/-2 sec with 3:30 rest followed by 6x 400m at ~78sec with 90sec rest).

MP (6:40) and Tempo (6:20) runs (mostly ~5 miles each but up to ~9 on one Tempo) have been easy and smooth.

The Cons:

I've missed ~50% of my hill workouts for various reasons.

I've only made it up to just over 16 miles on my long run.

I haven't gone over 60 miles in a week yet.

I'm ~13 weeks out right now so this thing could really go either way.

DoppleBock

From you 15k time ~ If your goal is to just break 3, I do not understand how you are not sure you are on track?

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether or not I'm on track...which typically means that I'm not on track.

The Pros:

New 15k PR of 56:42 the other weekend.

Track work's been good (3x Mile at 5:24 +/-2 sec with 3:30 rest followed by 6x 400m at ~78sec with 90sec rest).

MP (6:40) and Tempo (6:20) runs (mostly ~5 miles each but up to ~9 on one Tempo) have been easy and smooth.

The Cons:

I've missed ~50% of my hill workouts for various reasons.

I've only made it up to just over 16 miles on my long run.

I haven't gone over 60 miles in a week yet.

I'm ~13 weeks out right now so this thing could really go either way.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

gusgordon

I'm mid-way into my 10th week of not running.  Grr.  Sacroiliac joint dysfunction.  PT is going nowhere after 6 weeks.

bhearn

I have decided to use Hansons and would love to hear from any ex Pfitzers doing the same.  

That would be me. In principle. Training is not so great so far. Pulled my hamstring just before last goal marathon, Thanksgiving, and it's still not 100%. So the miles have been low, and the speedwork has been dialed back. Then, I ran a 100 miler a week and a half ago. Got through it OK, actually could hardly tell I'd run it a couple days later. But the hamstring is still there, and now the right knee is acting up again a bit -- that sidelined me the entire summer in '11, so I'm going to be careful here.

Cautiously optimistic I will still get into sub-3 shape for Boston, but the original goal of 2:55... well, we'll see. I have a ways to go. Things will have to start going right.

From you 15k time ~ If your goal is to just break 3, I do not understand how you are not sure you are on track?

Basically, I think I've got the speed to run 2:50-2:55 if I can just do my long runs between now and the race, but I've been really bad about actually going long (and I lose my next two weekends to flights to and from Korea) so I'm worried about crashing around mile 20 and having to death march it in (which usually happens to me because I've never actually run >20 miles in a day other than during a marathon).

kcam

Basically, I think I've got the speed to run 2:50-2:55 if I can just do my long runs between now and the race, but I've been really bad about actually going long (and I lose my next two weekends to flights to and from Korea) so I'm worried about crashing around mile 20 and having to death march it in (which usually happens to me because I've never actually run >20 miles in a day other than during a marathon).

You've EASILY got the speed for 2:50 you just need to get fit to do it.   I don't believe you necessarily need 20 milers to run a good marathon but if you don't run them you better make sure your overall volume is high.  If you aren't going to be able to hit all your long runs then I would make it a priority to add mileage whenever and however I could in the meantime.  Replace those days off with very easy days of running.  Good luck.

I've been really bad about actually going long (and I lose my next two weekends to flights to and from Korea)

Who said the long runs have to be on the weekends?  You could stretch some of those mid-week runs to a medium-long or even a long run.  Double up if you can and don't be set in that you have to hit an interval, tempo and long run during the week.  Go for one of the interval/tempo type runs and try to get that longer effort in during the week.

lagwagon

Training went well this week.

Strong 10 miles on Monday with 5mi tempo @ 6:20 pace, a couple nice medium long runs, and a solid 21 mi today unexpectedly with the last 5mi around MP (6:50s).  I think the relative rest last week was helpful, and I'm happy to get a quality week in before heavy business travel the rest of the month.

I have a question...the training program I'm doing (Pfitz) has ~8x100m strides every week.  Does anyone do you do these on the treadmill?  I've tried ramping up to ~10mph and running for ~.1mi, but I always seem to have a sore / tweaked muscle the day after.  Any tips?