More accurate? Garmin 305 or my Honda Accord? (Read 1455 times)

A Saucy Wench

Drive it twice, or three times in the Honda -- see how close the results are to each other. Run it twice, three times with the Garmin -- see how close the results are to each other. From this test of repeatibility you can decide which is more accurate. Or...or even better -- put the Garmin on the dash of your car and have them compete with each other.
    No, this is only a test of repeatability (precision), not accuracy. When my bathroom scale was broken it repeatedly said I weighed 220 lbs. Fortunately this was nowhere near accurate.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Nev

Garmin. Your car is calibrated for the average tire diameter. Different size (or worn) tires (tyres, for you Brits) will give different readings. Plus, 1.6 vs. 1.53 is hardly significant. Run 100 miles and compare, then you'll have something to talk about.
      10/10 your car is only measuring revolutions of the output shaft from the gearbox and has to assume the circufeerence of the wheel (and tyre) to convert to distance travelled. Life is too short, go with the Garmin for ease of use - its close enough to make no real difference and you dont have to drive all your routes before you run them (which will prove to be a pain when you run off road). Nev

an amazing likeness

No, this is only a test of repeatability (precision), not accuracy. When my bathroom scale was broken it repeatedly said I weighed 220 lbs. Fortunately this was nowhere near accurate.
        Very fair clarification on accuracy and repeatability, Ennay. Thank you for jumping in and pointing it out. It was the beer talking.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

rdmsgirl

Marie

I'm not sure what year your Accord is, but I received a letter just last week stating that there have been issues with the odometers on some Accords - they measure higher than actual mileage, affecting many people who had to pay extra on added mileage for their leased vehicles. I don't have the letter in front of me, but I believe it affects 2000-2007 models. Just something to think about. Smile

Maniac

The classic validity vs. reliability debate. Can something be reliable, but not valid? Absolutely.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Menace to Sobriety

The Honda is probably more repeatable. If you always run on flat open ground, the accuracy is probably the same as close as you can measure. Of course, if you ever run under trees, bridges, tunnels, near relatively tall buildings, like in a city, up or down steep hills or make lots of turns and curves, the Honda wins, hands down.(Assuming you're not ridin' on 22" blades, which will throw off the odometer)

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.