Sports Performance of the Year? (Read 1283 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

47:24 47.24 46:06 46.06
    Fixed. Normally, I'd let something this trivial go, but since it's Sparty the Gorilla, I can't resist. In timekeeping, we use the semicolon ( : ) to separate hour from minutes, and minutes from seconds. We use the decimal point (.) to separate decimal-based fractions of a second, at least in the United States. Decimal points -- coming soon to a stopwatch near you.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

Normally, I'd let something this trivial go
      No, you wouldn't. Normally, you'd provide page-length algebraic equations explaining the historical antecedents of my grammatical error. I refuse to use the phrase "pedantic dick" twice in one day. You'll have to wait until tomorrow. Here's some irony: I actually had it right (since I copied and pasted) and then changed it because it didn't look right. And now for my sweet, sweet revenge. Look what you did:
      Normally, I'd let something this trivial go, but since it's Sparty the Gorilla, I can't resist. In timekeeping, we use the semicolon ( : ) to separate hour, minutes, and seconds. We use the decimal point (.) to separate decimal-based fractions of a second, at least in the United States.
      They don't teach you the difference between colons and semicolons at U of M? Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .... I win.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Menace to Sobriety

Also because he was behind when he started the last leg he was drafting for the first lap which makes it a little easier. Typically when you are breaking a WR in a normal race you aren't drafting cause you are in the lead.
        How do you draft in a pool, when you're in another lane? I thought to gain any draft advantage you would have to be directly behind someone, and close enough to not get caught his turbulence. I would think the opposite, that the backwash flow coming from the swimmer in front and to the side of you would make it tougher, not easier to catch up.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Mishka-old log

There certainly is a drafting effect in the pool. The lane lines partially offset the full benefit, but the effect is definitely there. The swimmer in the adjacent lane, as he moves through the water, actually causes a current that travels with him. The benefit of the current more than compensates for the turbulence the trailing swimmer must overcome. The ultimate proof is in the racing. Watch closely in the video...or a video of any swimming race, and you'll see the trailing swimmer swims as closely as possible to the lane line of the swimmer they are following.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

And now for my sweet, sweet revenge. Look what you did: They don't teach you the difference between colons and semicolons at U of M? Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .... I win.
            Okay, you got me. That was a good one, too. My mouth was open.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

kcam

Still can't get over that race last night. The French coach got it exactly right: "Alain is wounded," said Claude Fauquet, France's team director. "But I don't think that Alain lost the race. It's Lezak who won it."
              JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Still can't get over that race last night. The French coach got it exactly right: "Alain is wounded," said Claude Fauquet, France's team director. "But I don't think that Alain lost the race. It's Lezak who won it."
                Ok according to wiki: the previous 100m Free record was 47.50. Eamon Sullivan eclipsed that with a “starting” leg of 47.24! For comparison Michael Phelps, who some people have called the greatest swimmer ever swam a 47.51. That was fast(.01 off the old world record) but no where near the 47.02 leg that Garrett Weber-Gale turned in later in the race! Then finally there is Mr. Lezak who turned in an unbelievable 46.06. Think about this. No one had ever broken 47.00 before yesterday and Lezak almost broke 46! He swam 3% faster than the previous world record! That would be like Tyson Gay running a 9.4284 in the 100 meters. Or maybe someone running a 3:36 mile. Or even someone running a sub 2:01 marathon! If I didn’t see it with my own eyes I wouldn’t have believed it! One counter point in favor of Jamie Donaldson as performance of the year is that she broke the women’s record for Bad water by 3.8783%! The women’s record was also considered “Unbreakable” before Jamie came along.

Why is it sideways?

!
                  protoplasm72

Actually people have broken 47 before in relay splits. I think the WR was around 46.75 for a relay split. He kind of had the perfect storm of conditions... gold medal on the line, trash talking frenchy getting you pumped up, and a WR holder to draft off of. Still an amazing swim and he broke the record by a lot. It's kind of like Tyson's wind assisted WR in the 100m at the trials but with a hurricane at his back instead.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

kcam

It's kind of like Tyson's wind assisted WR in the 100m at the trials but with a hurricane at his back instead.
                      In my mind it's nothing like Tyson's wind-assisted WR at the trials. There was nothing on the line there, this guy put it together when it mattered. It's not so much the time, it's the fact that when the WR holder hits the water ahead of you, you do NOT beat him. It's just not done. Let's hope Tyson can do something similar. Which would be him coming from 1-2m back to lean into the tape just ahead of Bolt - in a new WR (with the top 5 sprinters eclipsing the old WR). Go Tyson!
                      protoplasm72

I was referring to the favorable physical conditions not the pressure of the situation. They didn't count as official WR's because of those conditions.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

protoplasm72

I tried to find the splits for that race for the top 2 teams... and I can't seam to find them... (sorry for the highjack)
                          Splits

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Actually people have broken 47 before in relay splits. I think the WR was around 46.75 for a relay split. He kind of had the perfect storm of conditions... gold medal on the line, trash talking frenchy getting you pumped up, and a WR holder to draft off of. Still an amazing swim and he broke the record by a lot. It's kind of like Tyson's wind assisted WR in the 100m at the trials but with a hurricane at his back instead.
                            I thought they said on the coverage that no one had even done a sub 47 "SPLIT". I checked and only two of the French athlete's got below a 47 split yesterday and they were upper 46's. Anyway, he absolutely killed it out there and that was the most exciting finish I have ever seen!
                            JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I still can't believe that even the 8th place team was within 5 seconds of the 1st place team. The 8th place team was not far off of the world record! Has that ever happened before?
                              kcam

Awright, I swear this'll be my last post on the Lezak swim. Viddy this my bruthas ... Bullet Bob Hayes (Go Cowboys!) in '64 Tokyo 4X100M relay. He runs the anchor leg and just blows away the field from 5 or 10M behind (starts with the ho-hum 100m final). Lezak's anchor belongs in the same class as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9HrKZfhbCc&feature=related