Mizuno.... (Read 3866 times)

EricR

I can't dwell on the fate of the Elixir.  Out of my control.  Will enjoy my small stash of 7's and look forward to running in the 8's.  Then like you said Cbus we'll all see what kind of ride the Sayonara provides.

Docket_Rocket

The only reason (OK, NOT the only reason, Seth) Joking I buy Mizunos is because of the color schemes.  I hate white shoes with a trim of color.

Any shoe with bright red on it is going to be a "little loud" compared to a neutral color scheme.  But they (12s) don't bother me at all.  It's the multiple loud colors on the same shoe with nothing balancing that is over the top.  Sure, people are always going to have your eyes drawn to the shoe...but that's not necessarily a good thing.  Just like being the guy with the lampshade on your head at the party so everybody sees you is not always a good thing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I agree.  The Elixirs have always felt to me like no other shoe I have ever run in.  I'm very sad they are taking him away; I don't think there is anything like them.

It's a struggle sometimes, when shoes start to cannibalize eachother, and we see that right now with Wave Rider and Precision next to eachother... there really is not enough substantial differences between the 2 shoes, to allow them to coexists... so our footwear team realized they needed to step their game up, and make an even better option... and just doing a slightly better "Precision 14" was not the option.

Seth,

Not to keep picking at this sore spot, but my issue is not with the Precision. It's the Elixir. The Rider and precision may have cannibalized each other, but in my experience, the Inspire and Elixir are totally different. The Elixir is also very different from the Precision. So Mizuno can keep claiming that the Elixir is superfluous, but I just don't think that assessment can be extrapolated from the Rider/Precision situation--the Elixir is a different class. But I guess we'll see. If the Sayonara has a noodley forefoot, then it won't work for me, regardless of what the marketing folks say.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/rs/mizuno-wave-sayonara-sneak-peek/

---------

EricR

Never thought I'd hear myself voice concern over a reduction in offset.  Guess that's just a function of how "perfect" I think the Elixir is for me.  Hopefully, I'll find myself very happy to be wrong.

Never thought I'd hear myself voice concern over a reduction in offset.  Guess that's just a function of how "perfect" I think the Elixir is for me.  Hopefully, I'll find myself very happy to be wrong.

wrong about what?

---------

EricR

Wrong that I should have ever been concerned. sorry
                  Wrong that I should have ever been concerned. sorry

Oh, haha... gotcha.

I'm not huge on heel/toe drops either... in fact, I switched from racing in the Musha because it's a little lower than the Ronin... but whenenver I run in the Launch (yea, I own non-Mizuno shoes too) I never even notice the 10mm vs. 12mm thing.

Plus, with the u4ic midsole being a bit firmer... I'd imagine 10mm of U4ic might feel like the traditional Elixir?

---------

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Right now I'm running in Nike Pegasus 28's. I just started back running in June so these are the only ones I've tried. I like them fine but I'm looking to try something different.

I do 15-20 mpw. I had my gait analyzed and I'm neutral with a normal arch. I'm a heavy guy (though not nearly as heavy as I was in June), 5'10, 205. I was thinking about the Wave Rider or Wave Creation. I'm looking for cushioning and a shoe that can take some pounding without losing it. The Nikes started feeling "mushy" in the heel way sooner than they should have, IMO.

Am I on the right track or would you recommend something different?

Right now I'm running in Nike Pegasus 28's. I just started back running in June so these are the only ones I've tried. I like them fine but I'm looking to try something different.

I was thinking about the Wave Rider or Wave Creation. I'm looking for cushioning and a shoe that can take some pounding without losing it. The Nikes started feeling "mushy" in the heel way sooner than they should have, IMO.

Thanks for the question!!

I think coming from the Pegs, yet looking for a shoe with a bit more firmness (yet still well cushioned) I think the best Mizuno option would for sure be the Wave Rider 16.    The Wave Rider is a touch lighter than Pegasus too... absolutely worth a shot.

---------

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Thanks for the question!!

I think coming from the Pegs, yet looking for a shoe with a bit more firmness (yet still well cushioned) I think the best Mizuno option would for sure be the Wave Rider 16.    The Wave Rider is a touch lighter than Pegasus too... absolutely worth a shot.

Thanks, I'll definitely check them out. How much different is the WR 15? I can get a pair of those for quite a bit less than the 16

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Spend the extra $$$ on the 16. You won't regret it.  Excellent shoe IMO.

Thanks, I'll definitely check them out. How much different is the WR 15? I can get a pair of those for quite a bit less than the 16

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Spend the extra $$$ on the 16. You won't regret it.  Excellent shoe IMO.

+1, though I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.  I've been a Brooks guy for almost all of my running career, but I'm really enjoying my WR16's.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

+1, though I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.  I've been a Brooks guy for almost all of my running career, but I'm really enjoying my WR16's.

now THAT is music to my ears.  Brooks makes awesome shoes, don't get me wrong.... but I'm stoked you're enjoying your Riders.

---------

OK, Mizuno question:

I used a pair of Inspire 6's a couple years ago, and I currently have Wave Rider 15s in the rotation.  I find that the toebox seems to come to more of a point that most other shoes I've used.  The problem is that the swept-back toe upper causes pressure/rubbing at my 3rd-4th toenails and blisters on the tips of those toes.  Sizing up solves that (mostly) but makes the shoe width a little much for comfort.  I like the feel of the Rider 15, but the fit just isn't good enough for me to buy them again.

Interested in the Rider 16, Elixir 7 or 8, and Precision 13/Sayonara, and Creation 14.  How do the uppers compare in the forefoot v. the Rider 15?  Any of them broader across the front edge (like, e.g., the Brooks PureCadence)?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau