First Half Marathon (Read 849 times)

RunningHammer

Hi all I'm running my first half marathon tomorrow, and have a question on tactics. The course is fairly flat and good for PB's apparently, so i want to go for a fast time. It'll be 2 miles further than my longest distance ran so far though. My current thoughts are really just to not start off too fast, speed up for the middle section and wait and see what i've got left for the last few miles. For preparation i'm resting today and have been carb-loading for the last few days. Does anyone else have any other thoughts? Cheers Davey
      Here's a good half strategy: break the race into three parts (a) 5 miles, (b) 5 miles, and (c) 5K (3 miles). For the first five miles, start slow and steady -- try to get into a rhythm and avoid going out too fast or too slow. For the second five miles, focus on form and keeping the pace. Since you've never run the full distance in training, I can't recommend speeding up yet; it might work out, but it might not. Last 5K is when you go by how you feel. Feel strong - kick it up a gear. Feel winded - just try to hold the pace to the finish line.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

mikeymike

If this is your longest run ever then I would strongly suggest you go out conservatively, making your goal to get to the 15k mark feeling strong, then see what you've got left. No matter what it will be a new PR for you, so enjoy it. Good luck!

Runners run

JakeKnight

The only mistake you could make would be going out too fast. And you wouldn't be the first to do it! The good news is that even if you do, at half marathon distance you'll probably at least finish. The bad news is - it'll be miserable, and slow. I'd start a good 20-30 seconds slower than goal pace and pick it up slowly over the first few miles. Above all else - have fun! If this time is slow, it'll just be a starting point for future efforts. Good luck!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You've already gotten great advice, so I will just add to HAVE FUN! It's already been almost a month since my own first HM and I had a really great time (mostly...at least until the lonely last few miles when I was starting to hurt a little and just wanted to be done). I can't wait to do it again next year! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RunningHammer

Excellent advice thanks all - must admit i do still find it hard to start out as slow as i need to but i'm beginning to get the hang of it! Wink I'm gunning for 1:50 but i've not slept well the last couple of nights and that's usually a killer for me - so i'll probably wind up doing 2:00+ or so. The weather forecast is ok, so hoping it will be fun! Cheers D
              RunningHammer

Great day out, and i managed a PB too ! Tongue (okay so being as it was my first HM any time was going to be a PB!!) I started out slow (not as slow as planned mind), and kind of followed the advice above as best i could, and resulted in a time of 1:55 ! Which is what i thought i was capable of based on my 10mile race speed and using the values given by the McMillan calculator. Pleased with that, lovely day out, weather was glorious and it was a nice event organised by the local running club, who marshalled the course too. Very friendly and supportive. I really enjoyed it, but i noticed the stepup in distance to 13.1 miles. It has given me an inkling of what i've let myself in for if my application for next years London Marathon is approved!! Shocked
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yay, Davey, you did it! Your experience sounds a lot like my first. Now I am geeked to someday train for my first full marathon (which will probably be in 2 years, as I don't have the time now to commit to the training for a full in the next year). Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Congrats on your first HM!!! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Great job. I think anytime you can meet your McMillan prediction for a half or a full marathon, it proves that you were well trained and ran a good race.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

RunningHammer

Yay, Davey, you did it! Your experience sounds a lot like my first. Now I am geeked to someday train for my first full marathon (which will probably be in 2 years, as I don't have the time now to commit to the training for a full in the next year). Big grin k
                        Cheers kirsten, yeah i know what you mean - i have a programme ready to start for the marathon as soon as i've recovered from this race, and it's a lot of time to commit isn't it...some VERY early mornings in store for me...and the training's all in the winter!!!
                          Have fun with it. Big grin

Now that was a bath...

Congratulations on your achievement!!!! I am taking note of all these great tips too. Hey - I'm a Gooner - lived in Highbury Islington and Angel Islington for years. I miss the footy. Here in New Zealand it's all about the rugby. Sigh. Claire xxx
                          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                            RunningHammer

Thanks Claire - are you from North London then? I'm from Walthamstow originally, living on the south coast now. Did you see the recent result between West Ham and Arsenal? Wink I bet you get plenty of rugby banter too being from England !! Cheers Davey
                                Congrats on your first Half-Mary! Well done on the time, too. What were the course and crowds like?
                                My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48