Training plan comparison (Read 866 times)

Have you guys seen this?

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

Although it seems a little biased towards one training program, I like how it summarizes the plans.

I followed two very different plans and took 15 minutes off my marathon (April), then 5 minutes off the next with my next marathon (October), but I really want to get under 3:30.  I think I'll try a hybrid approach, I learn a lot (mostly about my weaknesses) with each one.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks. I found it interesting. I  tweaked the Pfitzinger 55 plan. Could not do the MP runs or speed work  twice a week. Cut speed workouts to 3 times every 14 days. Did one 10 mile MP run on the track early in the plan.MP was a problem ( mentally).

This time around plan to get mileage up to 60mpw from the 45mpw. 3:29:59 in 2012(3:37:38). Will start training in January. I am training for a 50 miler in December. Recovery for last 3 weeks in the month. Will not attempt it in Boston.Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

yeah I had done the weekly tempo, interval and long runs, without any hint of injury, but the other program with the 3x10+ miles a week

was a real struggle for me in the beginning.  In the end of training #2 I couldn't get close to the tempo work I had done with #1, but had a better marathon time. 

I really need to do some core and upper body work, I want to look good in these Boston photos!  I've done April marathons and that training through the snow and/or lots of treadmill gets old. 

I wonder whether some cross training would be a good idea.

heather85

Have you guys seen this?

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

Although it seems a little biased towards one training program, I like how it summarizes the plans.

I followed two very different plans and took 15 minutes off my marathon (April), then 5 minutes off the next with my next marathon (October), but I really want to get under 3:30.  I think I'll try a hybrid approach, I learn a lot (mostly about my weaknesses) with each one.

I thought the comparison wasn't very good,personally.

Then, I don't like FIRST and am shocked to see Advanced Marathoning rated so low because I hear nothingbut good things.

Of course, I'm surprised Smartcoach got anything.  I tested it out before and it was just awful. That, better than Pfizinger?Really?

Daniels was amazing for me, though it wasn't a specific plan. I've read books behind Daniels, FIRST, Pfitzinger, Higdon, Galloway -and liked Daniels and Pfizinger the best.  

xor

Smart Coach is super duper scary and suffers weird amplified "garbage in, garbage out" effects.  It will happily spit out a 2-day-a-week marathon training schedule for you.  I'm assuming if Smart Coach rated well, then either the rater gave it exxxxxactly the right info to poop out an ok plan ("a broken watch is still correct twice a day") or this is something generated by a person wanting to make RW look good.

Bob Bob and Bob

Anyone know if similar comparisons exist for HM training plans?