New smartphone (Read 216 times)

helderar

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first smartphone.

I don't want to buy anything expensive but the fact that I run or ride my bike no matter the weather got me wondering if I need the Xperia Go or if any other android will cope with running and cycling.

I'll be using the phone to map my runs/rides, also.

Thank you!

TJoseph

I don't run with my phone, I use my Garmin watch for that.  However, if I did, I would not purchase a waterproof phone.  I would get a waterproof case (or zip lock bag) to put the phone in while I ran.  For Android, I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy S4 if you are buying for a subsidized price with a contract.  If you are buying the phone full price, it is hard to beat the value of the Google/LG Nexus 4.  I bought one of those for a travel phone and love it.

CT JEFF

I recently ran with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2- Yeah, its a beast, but Ive been doing it since November. Well, the rain didnt roll of the windbreaker quite enough and the phone got wet. Yay, I had the protection plan, I "only" have to pay $99 for it to be replaced. Since then, yes, even that big phone fits into a zip lock bag and yes I have ordered a waterproof case.

The commercials for the new Samsung 4 look pretty environment friendly. I am planning on buying a Garmin Watch. $100 instead of worrying about this again. Not perfect, but much smaller and I stopped listening to music on runs a month ago anyway.  - Hope this helps some-

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

helderar

I'm really on a budget and trying to save on buying the smartphone only. I've been looking to Huawei y300 and alcatel one touch star. Then I started thinking if the water, dust and shock proof phone wouldn't last more. But these are more expensive and I don't know if I really need these features.

I don't listen to music while running or cycling, I run and cycle on the street and I like to pay attention to traffic.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would not purchase a waterproof phone.  I would get a waterproof case (or zip lock bag) to put the phone in while I ran.

For my next iPhone (likely this Fall/Winter...whenever the next version becomes available) I'm most likely going to invest in a Lifeproof case.  I've done the various ziplock solutions on top of my shock-protective case...and it's a PITA.  At least one person on RA has one of the Lifeproof cases and I regret not going that route at least a year ago.  At this point it's not worth the investment for a phone that's >1.5.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TJoseph

I'm really on a budget and trying to save on buying the smartphone only. I've been looking to Huawei y300 and alcatel one touch star. Then I started thinking if the water, dust and shock proof phone wouldn't last more. But these are more expensive and I don't know if I really need these features.

I don't listen to music while running or cycling, I run and cycle on the street and I like to pay attention to traffic.

Read the reviews on the phones then and get the best you can for your budget.  The only experience I have with a budget Android phone was a Samsung Ace my employer bought me to use while I am travelling to Guam for work.  It had so little memory, that I could only run a few apps and I still kept missing text messages because it was out of memory.  I got so frustrated with it, I recently bought the Nexus 4 to use there out of my own pocket.

I don't use a case on my phones.  They feel too bulky that way and I am careful with them.  If you are prone to dropping it, you can get cases for well under $20.  If it is going to rain, leave the phone home or cover it with a ziplock bag.

Mysecondnewname

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first smartphone.

I don't want to buy anything expensive but the fact that I run or ride my bike no matter the weather got me wondering if I need the Xperia Go or if any other android will cope with running and cycling.

I'll be using the phone to map my runs/rides, also.

Thank you!

I was in the same boat.   The problem I found was that several of the newest smart phones were just too big for me to run with.   I ended up deciding that any phone I got would have to fit into a water resistant spibelt while encased in a tough case.

An iphone 5 with this case http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-5-Olo-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-5-Tough-Xtreme-Cases.asp fit the bill nicely.

Rahul raj

*sings* Lovely Spam, wonderful Spam...
                  Rahul raj

Spam
                    Rahul raj

Dude...give it up, already.