People think I'm a Marine (Read 1171 times)

I ran the MCM this weekend and the shirt is awesome.  It's a nice red mock-neck, little logo on front, bigger on back, and (the reason for this post) says Marines down the right arm.  I had the shirt on as I was out and about today and twice people I passed on the street gave me an "ohh rah".  I am not a Marine, and have never been in any branch of the armed forces.  I have too much respect for the people that serve our country to want to be mistaken for one.  It is an honor I don't deserve.  

That said, it is the Marines that wrote "Marines" down the arm of my race shirt.  In the end I probably will wear the shirt, and just let people know I am not one if it comes up.  I am just curious what others think.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Don't pretend to be, but don't worry about it if folks mistake you for one. Nothing you can do about it, and the MCM does give out a nice shirt and you should be able to enjoy wearing it.

I had a similar experience 7 or 8 years ago when I ran the San Antonio Marathon, except for me it was because I wear a road ID dog tag everywhere I go and had gotten a flat top right before the race and there were a lot of marines in town that had just come back from overseas. It was embarrassing for a little while but then I just stopped worrying about it. (And then I got really sick the next day and spent 8 of my 10 days in San Antonio huddled in a corner of my brother's house feeling sorry for myself. Totally unrelated to being mistaken for a marine though.)

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Not really the same thing, but... at one point in my life, I spent six weeks wearing a foreign army uniform every day.  Not only was I not in that army, I was not even a citizen of the country, and my grasp of their language was fairly basic.  I spent the time living and working on an army base and thankfully did not go out in public much.  But when my group did go out for some excursions, the folks we were working for insisted pretty strongly we wear the uniform.  I actually think they thought we'd be psyched by getting to play dress up and choose to immigrate and volunteer.  In a way this bugged me less than it would have to be mistaken for a US service person --- I have several relatives who are veterans of the US armed forces, and I have way more respect for our (US) armed forces than theirs --- but the experience was pretty uncomfortable.

The thing with the MCM shirt is different, because it's a race t-shirt and the marines gave thousands of them away, but I totally sympathize with your feelings, and don't know if I'd wear the shirt.

ymmv

Not really the same thing, but... at one point in my life, I spent six weeks wearing a foreign army uniform every day.  Not only was I not in that army, I was not even a citizen of the country, and my grasp of their language was fairly basic.  I spent the time living and working on an army base and thankfully did not go out in public much.  But when my group did go out for some excursions, the folks we were working for insisted pretty strongly we wear the uniform. 

..so the local government wanted a handy excuse to shoot you as a spy if they suddenly felt like it!? :-o

Imminent Catastrophe

I get that a lot. I have the MCM jacket and a buzz-cut.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

That said, it is the Marines that wrote "Marines" down the arm of my race shirt.  In the end I probably will wear the shirt, and just let people know I am not one if it comes up.  I am just curious what others think.

I would definitively wear the shirt, and if it comes up, let people know you earned it by running the MCM 

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes, of course wear it!  

steph  

xor

I never wore mine, but only because they were FUGLY the years I ran the race :-).

Scout7

As someone who was in the military, I can assure you that we are not offended by you wearing the shirt, or having you mistaken for a member of a service.  It happens.  You paid your money, ran the race, the shirt is a perk.

I've seen and heard of dumber/worse things.

Imminent Catastrophe

The Marines gave it to you! Of course you should wear it. The red ones this year are nice.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zonykel

Gain about 50 lbs, and there will be no confusion (but the shirt may not fit you any more) :-)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gain about 50 lbs, and there will be no confusion (but the shirt may not fit you any more) :-)

And quit hanging out smoking outside the back doorway with the other guys with flat tops.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.