First 5k in September and beyond (Read 589 times)

This is the first time I've ever run for fun or fitness in my life.  I'm a 31 year old male, 6 foot, 240 pounds.  I'm currently on week 8 of c25k.  I've run every other day since Memorial Day.  I'm planning on running my first 5k on September 24th.  Yesterday I "ran" for 28 minutes straight at just under a 15 minute mile pace.  I'm on pace to finish the c25k next week and I want to improve my 5k time. After the 5k in September I want to work on the bridge to 10k.  Then after that start training for a half marathon in May of 2012.

I've got a couple questions.  What would be the best way to improve my time over the next 2 months?  Should I even bother with my time, and just move right on to the bridge to 10k?  If I stick with the b210k and a half marathon training plan is it reasonable to be able to complete a half marathon in 2012?

Thanks in advance.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

jeffdonahue

I think the answer to all your questions is just to run more.  Given where you are in your training, just getting in more miles (safely, without injury) is going to get you faster for your 5K, and begin in the preparation for a 10K and eventually a HM if that is your plan.

I cant see your running log, so cant really offer much more detailed advice other than that right now.

Log is now public, didn't realize I had it set to private.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

The best way to improve your time is probably to lose weight.

Whether or not you want to do that is another question...

The best way to improve your time is probably to lose weight.

Whether or not you want to do that is another question...

That is part of the plan too.  I'm down about 10 pounds in the last month and a half.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

your plan & timing is perfect!!   5k,  10k & then May 2012  easily doable by just continuing to run consistently, build mileage/time slowly & don't worry about your pace.  do that & "fine tune" your diet & you will be fine.   By "fine tuning" I mean that you do not have to do anything drastic to your diet.    eat regular small meals, cut out the crappy stuff (eliminate whipped cream in your mochas, use non-fat milk, no late night bowls of ice-cream, drink water & no dessert when you go out to eat, use smaller plates at meals at home-forces you to have smaller portions-no 2nds etc etc...blah, blah, blah) as you go along & eat the bulk of your carbs during the day when you are most active.

sincerely silly

Just wanted to say keep up the good work! I guess there's no single answer to your questions and I'm no expert. But I'd personally advise to just run more like others have said, bring up your time/mileage a bit more and then at some point you can start doing shorter interval run workouts. Sometimes you just need to shock your body into understanding what it's like to swing those hips and use your muscles to go faster. I think that's how it works in my head anyway. :-) But I wouldn't be worried about pace just yet. Also running 5k races is so much different than a workout. You'll probably go faster, and it'll be very encouraging. :-)

shin splints are my nemesis

You're on the right track and finishing a HM is definitely achievable by May '12.

My journey started last August about the same place you are, so I'll offer my perspective, FWIW:

* don't worry about speed or even distance.  Go by time.  If you can jog 25 minutes 3x-4x per week now, next week go for 30, eventually 35, and so on.

* walking is great too and can help you transition into running longer.  I found it useful to build walk breaks into my early running to help me build my conditioning and strength.  For me, my knees and feet complained a lot at first...and walking helped me get ready for longer running.

* build slowly and listen to your body.  Having a plan is a great tool, but don't be a slave to the plan (or the log).  Taking days off or go a little longer when your body lets you.  Be careful not to add in too much effort too quickly.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.