why cant i increase my running distance ? (Read 2567 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

People in glass houses...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Who is talking about "misspell" and "typo"?  Yes, I'm just a stupid foreigner who misspell and make typos.  But I had worked probably 3 times harder than any of RA posters here (most of them anyways) with English that I just simply do not understand why native English speakers don't seem to give a damn about mixing up "your" and "you're" or "there" and "they're"; let alone making incorrect spelling such as "cud" or "wat" INTENTIONALLY.  Or do you think the OP is actually a non-English speaking person?  I highly doubt it.  Non-English speaking person would spell better than that.  On the contrary, non-English speaking person most probably wouldn't know "cud" or "wat".  They sure as hell would know "could" and "what" I'm sure of it.  Of course, like I said, some people may just not give a damn about it.  You may be one of those people who oooh and aaaaah with Prefontaine movies; but you most probably would never understand what Bill Bowerman meant about him being an educator even before being a coach.  And if you think just writing down some bogus numbers would make you a better runner, you are in a big surprise.  And, to me, that kind of attitude actually shows clearly in running.

Besides, so what your criticising what I said, without even fully understanding what I meant, contribute to the OP's question anyways?  I tell you, there seem to be plenty of cheerleaders here and if cheerleaders are all you want, there's no place here for me.  I'd much rather "advise" and "educate" others with what I've learnt and what I know.  Pardon my blant comment but any idiot can say; "Ooooh, you're doing a great job; keep it up.  You can do it!!"  And if that's what you want, you can just ask Eric to post that on the home page so you can look at it every day.  Good luck with becoming a better runner with that.

Your advise is great. There are  only a few people on RA as knowledgeable on running.  It is your spirit  I question. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Think before you speak/ write. If, you left RA you would be missed.  I would miss you. But, no one is irreplaceable.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

winnie85

Sorry my fellow RA members for my usage of English in a SMS style. All I thought was fellow member would get the message  which they did and thanks for that and the tips.....................and my humble request  people stop commenting about each other English........ we are here to discuss and help and motivate  our fellow runners.

THANKS

xor

winnie, you might get more help and encouragement if you NOT write your posts in "SMS" style.  In addition to the people who are now sniping at each other about English, I promise that a whole lot of people who might be helpful and encouraging simply skipped past the request.  Not just the lazy English ("cud"... cud is what a cow chews), but also the funky formatting.

Me? I can usually handle funky grammar because I write/think with funky grammar myself.  Is ok. For me.  Not for others.

Anyway, to maximize brotherhood and sisterhood from sea to shining sea, write coherently, using more actual words.  IMHO (hehehe).

As for the question: SLOW DOWN.

Not just the lazy English... 

I thought the French had that reputation.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

winnie, you might get more help and encouragement if you NOT write your posts in "SMS" style.  In addition to the people who are now sniping at each other about English, I promise that a whole lot of people who might be helpful and encouraging simply skipped past the request.  Not just the lazy English ("cud"... cud is what a cow chews), but also the funky formatting.

I skipped it, mainly because it was much to difficult to figure out what the OP was getting at.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

MrH

I promise that a whole lot of people who might be helpful and encouraging simply skipped past the request.  

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I have to chime in but don't want to kill a dead horse.  If you are not serious enough to post something as clearly as you can to make it easier for someone like me to understand, then I'm not going to waste my time responding to that message.    If you don't care then why should I?

I will agree that Nobby could have been nicer but I also see his point.  If you don't care enough to spend a little extra time to clearly write out your question or questions then it probably carries over to your running. 

Huggs and Kisses

2011 Goals:
                    Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                    Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Why is it sideways?

Who is talking about "misspell" and "typo"?  Yes, I'm just a stupid foreigner who misspell and make typos.  But I had worked probably 3 times harder than any of RA posters here (most of them anyways) with English that I just simply do not understand why native English speakers don't seem to give a damn about mixing up "your" and "you're" or "there" and "they're"; let alone making incorrect spelling such as "cud" or "wat" INTENTIONALLY.  Or do you think the OP is actually a non-English speaking person?  I highly doubt it.  Non-English speaking person would spell better than that.  On the contrary, non-English speaking person most probably wouldn't know "cud" or "wat".  They sure as hell would know "could" and "what" I'm sure of it.  Of course, like I said, some people may just not give a damn about it.  You may be one of those people who oooh and aaaaah with Prefontaine movies; but you most probably would never understand what Bill Bowerman meant about him being an educator even before being a coach.  And if you think just writing down some bogus numbers would make you a better runner, you are in a big surprise.  And, to me, that kind of attitude actually shows clearly in running.

Besides, so what your criticising what I said, without even fully understanding what I meant, contribute to the OP's question anyways?  I tell you, there seem to be plenty of cheerleaders here and if cheerleaders are all you want, there's no place here for me.  I'd much rather "advise" and "educate" others with what I've learnt and what I know.  Pardon my blant comment but any idiot can say; "Ooooh, you're doing a great job; keep it up.  You can do it!!"  And if that's what you want, you can just ask Eric to post that on the home page so you can look at it every day.  Good luck with becoming a better runner with that.

Post of the day. The style of the OP's post mirrors its content. Those who can't make a distinction between the spelling and grammar mistakes that Nobby makes and the carelessness of the OP's writing are profoundly ignorant of the effort it takes to communicate in a second language.

The style of the OP's post mirrors its content.

Wat is OP? i cud not tell from cntxt.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Why is it sideways?

Busted.

Post of the day. The style of the OP's post mirrors its content. Those who can't make a distinction between the spelling and grammar mistakes that Nobby makes and the carelessness of the OP's writing are profoundly ignorant of the effort it takes to communicate in a second language.

I have never had a problem understanding Nobby's grammar. Sometimes, I cannot quite digest the substance of his advice, but that's a different matter entirely.

A Peruvian student in a class I teach is painfully shy and embarrassed about his accent.  Partly because the mono-lingual students snicker. I made a public point: A person who speaks your language well, but with an accent, is probably smarter than you are. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I look my best blurry!

I just want to add that I've sent a few PMs to Winnie. She wasn't offended by Nobby's comment. She appreciated all the info and her follow up post shows that she can handle a little criticism with grace. She is a good sport and didn't dwell on the negative. Kudos to her. She also got the meat of the message and appreciated it. You all know how I feel about Nobby. He has been more than generous and I greatly appreciate it. The thread that started our friendship was one where he disagreed with me and told me so. He was right. We discussed it and moved on from there. He has a high standard of quality and content in his posts. He expressed his opinion about the way Winnie relayed her question but he also took the time to give her a good reponse to her question. You know where you stand with Nobby. He isn't holding much back. He is honest and sincere. I respect those qualities. mta- fixed typos! Lol! :-D
                            xor

You know where you stand with Nobby.

I'm not sure yet.  Could you please clarify?

xor

A person who speaks your language well, but with an accent, is probably smarter than you are. 

But what if I use a very bad fake accent?