Boston 2014 registration date - care to speculate? (Read 141 times)

hairshirt knitter

baa.org still says "REGISTRATION FOR THE 2014 BOSTON MARATHON, SCHEDULED TO BE HELD ON MONDAY, APRIL 21, 2014 WILL BEGIN IN EARLY SEPTEMBER, 2013.". So, it would seem that excluding the fall marathons is a done deal once again.

Given that registration for this year opened on 10th, how safe a bet do you think it is that registration will open on Monday 9th September, 2013? I'm trying to piece my season together and judging how late I can leave a BQ attempt...

Do you think there is any chance that they will change their minds and push registration back to early winter?!

Do you think there is any chance that they will change their minds and push registration back to early winter?!

No, I think the extra 2-3 months of having that $4 million in entree fees in the bank is more valuable to the BAA than whatever goodwill they would generate with those of us who either want to wait until fall to qualify or like having the option of waiting until we're into our training to decide whether to sign up. I can't say I blame them.

Runners run

hairshirt knitter

Fair enough. Likelihood is Monday 9th then? Unfortunately, there are no local races Sunday 8th!

xhristopher

It won't sell out with BQ-20 and BQ-10 runners that first week.

Yeah it filled in early October (like the 12th maybe?) last year so with the rolling registration you probably have about a month from when registration opens.

Runners run

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

2014 registration should fill up a lot sooner than the 2013 registration, last year had a lot of special circumstances with a lot of hot races and lower qualifying rates.

10374 had their ticket punched through the 2011 Boston Marathon itself; due to warmer temps in 2012, only 2705 qualified that way for 2013.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Strict WTF adherent

A shit-ton of people qualified at Chicago too, and they'll be double dipping for 2013/2014

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

3776 qualifiers from the Chicago Marathon, 1132 qualifiers from the Twin Cities Marathon and 1015 qualifiers from the St George Marathon were eligible to double-dip, no?

A shit-ton of people qualified at Chicago too, and they'll be double dipping for 2013/2014

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

bhearn

2014 registration should fill up a lot sooner than the 2013 registration, last year had a lot of special circumstances with a lot of hot races and lower qualifying rates.

2013 also had the Boston weather deferrals from 2012. And who's to say we won't have a lot if hot races this year too? That may be the new norm.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Very valid point - I don't think I'd want to bank on that though if I was on the cusp, a nice, early BQ with a few minutes to spare is just good planning. Or just go for the BQ-20, BQ-10 or BQ-5 and guarantee it ahead of time, right? Cool

2013 also had the Boston weather deferrals from 2012. And who's to say we won't have a lot if hot races this year too? That may be the new norm.

2015 Goals and PRs:

hairshirt knitter

Well, Cunning Plan, Plan A is to run BQ-10 on August 25th, but the other option is to wait for the next available race here which is September 14th, which would give me three extra weeks. Risky perhaps, unless they don't open registration until Monday 16th...

Any idea when they are likely to announce the registration date?

runlikeagirI

I actually wrote BAA in December asking about this and was told that while the registration dates hadn't been set yet, they would most likely be the second and third weeks of September.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, Cunning Plan, Plan A is to run BQ-10 on August 25th, but the other option is to wait for the next available race here which is September 14th, which would give me three extra weeks. Risky perhaps, unless they don't open registration until Monday 16th...

Any idea when they are likely to announce the registration date?

From the baa.org site:

Registration for the 2014 Boston Marathon is scheduled to open in September. The exact date will be published by July 1

hairshirt knitter

From the baa.org site:

Registration for the 2014 Boston Marathon is scheduled to open in September. The exact date will be published by July 1

Aah, missed that - thanks. And now we wait...

hairshirt knitter

I actually wrote BAA in December asking about this and was told that while the registration dates hadn't been set yet, they would most likely be the second and third weeks of September.

Yep, I'm betting on things kicking off on Monday 9th September, it would be nice if it turns out to be the week after though.