"Break" (Read 614 times)

Barrius

Hello everyone, new to the forum--it looks like a great site! My question is that over the past months I had started running because I wanted to lose some weight and because I had a friend who often ran marathons and he was convincing me to get out. Well, I'm in college, and midterms rolled around, and then finals, and needless to say I slipped until I stopped running. I was "too busy" or "no longer in the mood." This started about a month and a half ago. I felt like getting back into it, though, and this morning put on my shoes and went out for a 3 mile run. Two months ago I could run 3 miles fairly easily, but today I had a lot of trouble. It was a run around the neighborhood, and I found myself having to stop a few times and walk because I felt out of breath. Is it normal to slip that much over a period of a little over a month (I'm practically back to square one)? It was kind of embarassing walking with cars passing by. Thanks for any help/advice you can provide. -BC
    bas

Don't expect the ability to run a certain distance to stick by itself. You need to run on a (more or less) regular basis. More, if you are ambitious, less if you are not, but still... But don't give up! Maybe you had a false start. So what? Plan runs that don't take more time than you really can or want to spend on them. And do take short running breaks every now and then while you are studying. You will concentrate better and you will run better as well. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BC, my Nov. was a mess due mostly to the death of my FIL. And early this month I developed some pains after running on snow that have slowed me down, too. 2 months ago I ran a half-marathon without any trouble, but it didn't take much time for my fitness levels to plummet as my runs were cut to about half the weekly distances that I had been doing before the big race. Bas is right, without consistent work it seems our bodies want to go back to being pretty couch potato-y. Maybe this is different for those who have been running consistently for many years, but as a newbie (running since this past Spring) I find it's a constant struggle to keep up my fitness base. So the only solution seems to be not giving up or allowing ourselves to slack if it's at all avoidable. I couldn't do much about Nov., as I spent about half of that month in the car or otherwise busy with family events when I would have otherwise been running. So I have been doing my best to make up for it this past month. I am SLOWLY, but surely getting back where I was, but it's going to take some time to simply get back to where I was, much less improve upon my fitness from late Oct. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hi Barrius! I'm new also! Gee, it only takes me about a couple weeks to feel like that! We had family over for Christmas, etc. and my hubby and I didn't get out at all. I went out today and could definately tell! It seems like it takes a lot less time to lose your base than what it takes to build it up!! You're not alone! Smile
          Barrius

Thanks all for the advice/support. ...guess I better get back to it. Happy 2007! BC
              Zoom Zoom is right on the money! I had an injury (not running related) that side lined me for 26 days and it felt as if I had never run before!! Out of breath and shin problems as when I started in the summer. So I stopped trying to pick up where I left off, scaled back to a mile and am doing better. Yesterday was the first time 1.6 miles didn't kill my shins since the injury. Now the thing is NOT to push for more distance and time!! Best advise I ever got here and with my doctor was "Listen to your body!!"

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I start noticing a decrease in fitness if I don't run for two weeks. Everyone is right about the need to keep working at it, and perhaps that might explain why runners keep going out despite the aches and pains. We don't want to lose that fitness. On the bright side, it's not completely like you're starting from scratch. You'll regain that fitness a lot quicker than the first time you ran. You just have to ease back into it. Good luck!
                  I read somewhere (and can't remember where off the top of my head) that a good rule of thumb is to allow yourself one day for every week that you took off to get back into pre-stoppage shape.
                  The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
                  http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
                    I just jumped on my 'rents dreadmill today for the first time since Dec 23rd - which makes about 10 days off. I felt awful. Granted, running on the dreadmill is always difficult for me (and for some reason, theirs is worse than normal!), but despite all the extra red blood cells from the altitude and a week of skiing, I felt sooo slow and tired. On second thought, maybe skiing wore my muscles out - I know my legs have been pretty exhausted! So hang in there, take it easy, and be patient - it will come back faster than it came in the first place!