New NYC Marathon No-Baggage Policy (Read 1079 times)

BeeRunB

No more drop bags at NYCM:

http://www.nycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/no_baggage_policy.htm

I'm not sure if this is old news or not---just heard about this today.

jfa

Yup, we're all over that

#artbydmcbride

Ryan Hall has announced that he will not run the NYC marathon after all.   Something about his hamstring bothering him, but I bet it was the 'no drop bag' rule!

Runners run

jfa

I bet you're right Ilene.

Now I'm torn. Do I take the early exit (no baggage option) , along with the fleece lined poncho and the limited edition long sleeve shirt, or do I wait in line for my checked bag? Hmmm.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm going to mug a homeless guy for his urban Ghillie suit the night before the race.  I'll let him know he can pick it up on the starting line or wait for it to be delivered to his soup kitchen.

I mean, those guys are outside the entire NYC winter -- those gotta be warm.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

Now I'm torn. Do I take the early exit (no baggage option) , along with the fleece lined poncho and the limited edition long sleeve shirt, or do I wait in line for my checked bag? Hmmm.

I was torn too.  I went back and forth and finally decided to go with the baggage option.  Since we can't change our choice once we make it, I decided this far ahead of time I'd rather opt in than out...  I find this all very annoying.  I'm so glad they're giving us the option but I want to be focusing on my training right now and not trying to figure out what I might want to have with me 8 weeks from now.  So, no fleece lined poncho for me!  That hurts.  (I figured the shirt won't fit me since it's one size fits all.  I'm guessing they won't choose women's small as the size for everyone).

jfa

Now I have it all figured out. I went with the no baggage option. I also signed up with the local running club who is providing buses to the start and finish. Sooo, I can have my baggage on the bus, which will be somewhere around 86th St after I finish.

The bus picks up at the Red Bank and Cheesequake rest areas on the GSP . If anyone is interested, there's still seats available as of yesterday.

BostonRnr

I went with the no baggage option. I don't mind bringing disposable clothes to the start and I like the early exit.

How do you know if you are starting on the top vs. bottom bridge? I'm Green Wave #2, Corral #32. Just a bit concerned about the peeing factor if I'm on the bottom bridge.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I went with the baggage option because I like to keep my own stuff.

Plus, from the looks of it, if all ya'all are goin no-baggage, it will be a quicker exit for me ;-P

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

How do you know if you are starting on the top vs. bottom bridge? I'm Green Wave #2, Corral #32. Just a bit concerned about the peeing factor if I'm on the bottom bridge.

Don't worry about the pee factor, you won't get peed on.  Most people peeing do so while waiting at the foot of the bridge where everyone waits before the cannon.  There's a lot of squat-peeing going on by men and women.  Watch your shoes.  A small hanfull of people pee on the bridge but I have no idea how anyone thinks that will get on them.  It's a solid bridge from what I remember running over it for the last six years.

As for which level based on your info so far, I believe Green is bottom, Orange and Blue are top.   I've run both levels and had a great time either way. 

I'm corral 1, Blue, Wave 1.  Though I'm still waiting to hear if I got the local competitive start so that might change things, I can't recall.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

#artbydmcbride

Maybe a plastic disposable rain poncho wouldn't hurt for that first mile...........Big grin

Runners run

ultramarathon/triathlete

Also, remember this from the FAQs page of the marathon:

"Runners who are assigned to different corrals but wish to start together may do so by going to the corral and wave corresponding to the higher number."

So, if you want to start on the top, maybe you can just switch?  I'm fairly certain I've done this in years past to start with various friends (though I can't seem to recall if they joined mine or I joined theirs).  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I was in the green wave last year -- lower level. Did not notice any pee raining down. I actually preferred it because we had shade and I was trying to avoid getting too hot.

Decided on the no baggage, free poncho route.  I had planned this when they 1st announced it, and didn't have a strong reason for not doing it.  Maybe it will make the entire process faster if enough people opt for this option. 

I'm in wave 2, orange.  Battling my first case of plantar fascitis, so hopefully I can get to the start!

Thanks for the info Mendeldave.  

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

seanster

ME

Went no bag, though I have only checked a bag once before at a race, so it wasn't a hard choice. 

Ended up in Blue Wave 2, Corral 20.  So a nice wait from my 5:45 ferry to 10:05 start will dictate a few extra throw away clothes.

§ SIGNATURE§