bump on back of heel? Achilles tendonitis? (Read 99 times)

scmirob

HI! After asking around and not getting answers ive found you guys!! Help! First let me start with I have been running for 12 years with no problems.  The other morning I was laying in bed and felt a tiny burning sensation that felt like a bug bite.  Wasn't anything and didn't bother me anymore.  Continued running daily with no problems but today as I got out of shower I noticed a dime size bump on back of heel.  Not sure if it was there before.  I have little one on right foot too. it doesn't hurt to touch or even when I walk but now im concerned that it could  lead to something.  Hubby says stop running as it could be Achilles tendonitis but I really was working hard toward my goal of losing weight and really don't want to stop... any advice? should I see a dr?  Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Most likely Pump Bump, or Haglunds Deformity

http://haglundsdeformity.net/

The good news is, as I was told by a foot Dr. when I was experiencing pain from this, is that nearly everyone has it to some degree.  Depending on the severity, the treatment is different.  Moreover, it mainly becomes a problem when the bursa becomes inflammed.

What I had to do to "fix" the problem is this:

1st - eliminate the inflammed bursa. Rest, ICE, NSAIDs did the trick .

2nd - make sure that I thoroughly stretch the calf and achilles before running. This is because what lead to the problem was tight achilles that would pull at the base of the heel. This constant pulling caused bone to start to grow in the direction of the pull, and it grows into a point. That point starts poking at and irritating the bursa.

scmirob

I found that while researching too! I will have to look into how to treat that.  How much rest etc... I really don't want to lose my momentum but I don't want a worse injury either! Wink Thanks for your reply!

I found that while researching too! I will have to look into how to treat that.  How much rest etc... I really don't want to lose my momentum but I don't want a worse injury either! Wink Thanks for your reply!

I only rested a coupld days until the pain went away (your mileage may vary). When I resumed running, I did the achilles/calf stretching before and after each run, and I also used heel inserts to further reduce the amount of pulling at the base of the heel.

If you run in shoes with a small amount of heel drop, you might consider a higher heel, or get heel inserts. if there's no pain when running, or other activity, I see no reason to stop running.

scmirob

Thanks... really no pain... maybe ill take off tomorrow and work on stretching and ice then back to running. I can work on other workouts till fully back into it.  There really is no pain at all only maybe a slight ache every now an then but not much at all.

ulikunkel

One thing about stretching....do not....and I mean DO NOT stretch your calves or achilles without a proper warm-up, even if it's just a 1-2km or equivalent mile jog.  You will only make it worse.  If you don't want to run, walk for about 10 minutes.  I screwed up my soleus royally by doing dynamic stretches before being warmed up.

Thanks... really no pain... maybe ill take off tomorrow and work on stretching and ice then back to running. I can work on other workouts till fully back into it.  There really is no pain at all only maybe a slight ache every now an then but not much at all.