Calf cramp during race (Read 114 times)

I ran my first marathon a week ago, and experienced awful leg cramping during it. I have never experienced it at all in all my training and build up and would really like to know how to avoid it in the future.

About 5 days before i was preparing for a 5k run when i noticed soreness in my calf. it was localised, and while not severe it was noticable, so i didnt run that day.  i had a massage the next day and worked on RICEing it and doing what i could to ease it up.  On race day it was still noticable but not as bad, so i felt confident to go ahead - i had had worse aches during training that soothed out so i was confident i could work through it.

About 17k into the race my leg (the same one that was affected) started to cramp, it was awful!  and this continued on, with it then moving into the other leg, i surmise because i was not running freely so that leg was carrying some strain.  the cramp was front, and back, and ankle, of both lower legs, and would ease off if i walked, and start back about 100 metres after i started running again.

at this stage i thought it was environmental, i dont like to run in the sun as i get sunburned so i tend to run in the early mornings or evenings, and have done most of my training through winter, so the temperature has been cold.  race day was sunny, warm, and no wind so i was sweating twice as much as normal.

at around 28k i got my support team to head away and get me bananas and magnesium tablets, and stuffed myself for the rest of the way.  i made it, got the medal but it was not pleasant, and i feel cheated of the race i wanted to run - time was out the window, i just needed to finish by that stage!

I would love some feedback on what i can try to avoid, what i can try to manage it, or what will work to prevent it from being an issue at all.  as awful as it was i loved the feeling of achieving it, and want to do more, but realistically i won't put my body through that if it is going to happen again.

i welcome your thoughts, thank you so much!

I do if for the bananas.  They are really good bananas.

MorisetteStevens

spam
      beat

Break on through

How did your training go for your first marathon?  Did you do any running at marathon pace up to 17 K during your training?  Weekly mileage? Longer runs?  Were you well hydrated at the start of the marathon and during the early part of the race?  Was your marathon pace too fast for your fitness?

These are some questions to ask yourself to try and figure out how to avoid your calf locking up.

When it has happened to me, it was towards the end of the marathon, when I had been running with a lot of effort to keep at a certain pace - which was maybe a bit too fast for my ability.

Since you were sweating a lot, it may have helped to have some salty food or drink before the race.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Congrats on your first marathon!

Most current conventional wisdom is that cramping is simply due to muscle overexertion, i.e. trying to outrun your level of fitness, than any hydration/electrolyte issue.

As it was your first marathon, good chance your training did not support the pace you were trying to run. Making an assumption here based on no facts, as you do not have a public log, just based on what is common. If you want to run another race, share your training log here & there are a lot of experienced people who can advise you on target race pace.

Additionally, if the race temperature was substantially warmer than any of your training, you should have adjusted your pace accordingly. Heat can be a huge factor.

For the long term - a lot of people find calf strengthening exercises such as eccentric heel drops to be helpful.

Also, stretching can be a controversial subject, but this helps some people. Just don't stretch when cold - run a 10-15 min warmup, then stretch, then continue your run. And/or stretch after your run.

Good luck!

Dave

joescott

Hi! I experienced cramp during my race and it was so bad i need to stop. *shrugs* Ever heard of AntlerVelvet? I mean the supplement. I am taking it today as I go to the gym to work out. I've been active since. So far, no cramps, must be placebo effect? Dunno. You can do research regarding the Antler Velvet. It's coming in trend lately as remedy to cold and so much more.  To make it easy for you.. You can check this one out for the benefits. http://www.kinglyvelvet.com/deer-antler-velvet-benefits  Hope it helps. Good luck!

Are you for real?  I have to stop laughing in my office or someone is going to think I'm nuts (if they don't already).

BTW, how is it with stains?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sh0wr7HH8Y   

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Are you for real?  I have to stop laughing in my office or someone is going to think I'm nuts (if they don't already).

Joe, I think this is for real. If I recall, this is what Ray Lewis got in hot water for a few years ago before the Super Bowl.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golf--deer-antler-spray-gets-a-pass--so-now-what--004821402.html

WheresMyMule

Joe, I think this is for real. If I recall, this is what Ray Lewis got in hot water for a few years ago before the Super Bowl.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golf--deer-antler-spray-gets-a-pass--so-now-what--004821402.html

Ummm, No. I think that was murder.

Ummm, No. I think that was murder.

The murder was a different year.

Deer antler spray, you may remember, was at the center of a media frenzy that engulfed Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis in the week leading up to Super Bowl XLVII. Sparked by a Sports Illustrated story published during Super Bowl week, Lewis found himself at the center of a "controversy" for allegedly using a product that contained a banned growth hormone, IGF-1.

MorisetteStevens

WOW Joe. Just WOW. Well i hope you got a good laugh. I don't get the video for some reason. I think your humor was off. 
                      Oh for those who read the thread, Sorry I wasn't that specific. I don't encourage the "IGF Spray". Just sharing the benefits of Antler Velvet in a natural and organic supplement.

There was an episode of Longmire that revolved around antler velvet and how it could cause a chronic wasting disease.