WOW - Man charged with trying to run down jogger (Read 1232 times)

Kalsarikännit

Last year while running on the left side of the road in Indiana, I spotted a horse and buggy coming my direction (I was in Mennonite-land).  I had no idea what to do.  If I keep running straight would I spook the horses?  Would the guy in the hat decide to run me over once he spotted my enormous wrist mounted laptop?  I realized then that RA had failed me for all possible encounters.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well, you hardly give us sufficient information here. Was the rider in spandex? Was the horse in spandex? Was he, or she, doing an easy pace, or a tempo pace?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Feeling the growl again

Some interesting stats in the citations:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/05/20/136462246/when-bikes-and-cars-collide-whos-more-likely-to-be-at-fault

Interesting.  In the link to the 5 most common accident types, their solution to avoid type 2 ("Right Hook") is exactly what I do...so it seems they don't find it discourteous.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

"If you're in the lane, the driver will slow down and stay behind you and wait to make the turn," <-- Don't count on it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"If you're in the lane, the driver will slow down and stay behind you and wait to make the turn," <-- Don't count on it.

Yeah, I took the lane at a T to make a left turn.  Jackass behind me actually pulled into the oncoming lane to also make a left turn and get ahead of me.  It was a blind intersection.  Had someone been coming from either direction (cross traffic had no stop) to turn into the lane that he was illegally occupying he would have caused a potentially deadly situation.  Odds are he was heading to the beach or to his vacation cottage on Lake MI.  Guy was of retirement age and this is in a touristy/vacation area, so I'm not certain what his hurry was, but he couldn't wait an extra 5-10 seconds to take his turn legally.  He rolled-down the passenger window of his vehicle to hurl obscenities at me for daring to ride my ROAD bike on the road. Roll eyes

That's not the only time I've had someone attempt to pass me as I'm signaling a left turn within 100 feet of a T-interestection where cross traffic has right-of-way in such a manner, either.

~ Sarah Kay

Some interesting stats in the citations:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/05/20/136462246/when-bikes-and-cars-collide-whos-more-likely-to-be-at-fault

Again, these numbers reflect who is guilty based solely on the law. Many state laws are outdated or simply don't give enough precedence to the safety of runners and cyclists. I'm sure individual analysis of those cases could find a few incidents where cyclists were operating outside the law in the interest of safety.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Speaking of signalling, do you cyclists signal your turns?  If so, do you signal with the left arm straight out for a left turn, and left arm bent upwards at the elbow for a right turn?  That's what I was taught in elementary school, but I really don't think most drivers even know what that means.

Anyway, I confess to rarely signalling my turns.  I usually want to have both hands on the handlebars.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Speaking of signalling, do you cyclists signal your turns?  If so, do you signal with the left arm straight out for a left turn, and left arm bent upwards at the elbow for a right turn?  That's what I was taught in elementary school, but I really don't think most drivers even know what that means.

Anyway, I confess to rarely signalling my turns.  I usually want to have both hands on the handlebars.

I haven't biked in a while but would signal if there was traffic. I enjoyed all the folks who would wave at me thinking my right turn signal was a wave to them. 

TRUST THE PROCESS

Always. I've become quite good at riding with one or no hands so it is no problem for me.

Last summer I was riding a fairly high traffic highway when I had to pull of to wait for a friend. I had an SUV behind me who didn't seem too happy that I was holding up the lane of traffic. As I was putting up my right turn signal I looked back to see what the SUV was doing and the driver angrily shouted "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!" As if this is something that only cyclists use. I had a good laugh. 

Best Present Ever

I was taught that while that  style of signaling makes sense for drivers  it doesn't for cyclists and we should signal by pointing to where we're going.  That's what I do, and what I see other cyclists doing. 

I was taught that while that  style of signaling makes sense for drivers  it doesn't for cyclists and we should signal by pointing to where we're going.  That's what I do, and what I see other cyclists doing. 

+1.  Point left with left arm, right with right arm.  Hard to misinterpret.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The left-hand signals are because the left arm is most apparent to drives, since the cyclists typically ride closer to the side-walk, while the driver is closer to the middle of the road.  Sometimes the right arm is hard for drivers to notice -- especially since black is a popular color for long-sleeve shirts and gloves.

But yes, I've had a few drivers *cough* ask me *cough* what the hell the left-hand right-turn signal meant.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But yes, I've had a few drivers *cough* ask me *cough* what the hell the left-hand right-turn signal meant.

Which clearly means that they didn't pay attention in driver's ed and shouldn't even legally have a license if they are ignorant of basic operation.  In the event of a broken signal light on their vehicle all drivers are SUPPOSED to know appropriate hand signals so that they can signal to other road users...and be aware of what those signals mean when they see others use them.

Today's incident of the day while on a run.  I'm on a street with right of way, biddy in a monster SUV is ahead of me approaching a stop sign at a cross-street and planning to turn right.  Of course she doesn't look right, just to the left to see what traffic is oncoming, but sees that she has room to GO if she doesn't come to a complete and legal stop.  I slow down because I assume (correctly) that she is going to simply roll right over me if I don't change my course.  I assumed correctly.  I also shouted "HEY!!!" and waved my arms around.  Her eyes went like this Shocked as she suddenly slams on the brakes...I hope I caused her to have a grabber and/or shit her pants moments later, hee hee. Evil

~ Sarah Kay