Post Race Headache part II (Read 1196 times)

Hi there, I saw there was a topic about this a while back but wanted to see if we could talk about this topic some more. It seems that whenever I train very hard or compete in a race (usually 5K). I get a post race headache for the rest of the day. I'm not burning up the track, I average a 8:45 mile pace but I do push myself pretty good at the end. I've only been consistently training for the last 6 months so I do know that is a factor too. As I am writing this I competed in a 7K race this morning, but right afterward drank 1 Liter of Gatorade. My headache is still there, but it's livable and is not even close to what it has been in the past. So I guess to all sufferers out there try drinking Gatorade or a sports drink with salt in it. I'm going to drink it before and after to see if it helps out even more... Thoughts, comments, hatemail welcome... Theron
    Hannibal Granite

My first thought would be dehydration, which may be at least part of the cause as you said the pain lessened after you drank some Gatorade. Also, the stress both mentally and physically of hard training and racing could also play a part, to that I just say relax dude its just running! (not to mention you'll probably run faster if you're relaxed than if you're straining and tense)

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

nah not really training too hard. totally relaxed during the race but I do push myself last 1/2 mile or so of a race and some workouts. dehydration, beginners growing pains, and genetics is what i attribute it to... R&R TD
          You wouldn't have dehydration from a race as short as a 5k or 7k. Simply drinking 8-10 oz. of water after a race of this length should be enough. Like the previous poster, my guess is that you may be nervous and anxious about the race, and that may cause a headache. You may also simply be hungry if you were too nervous to eat breakfast.

Despite what another poster said, you certainly *can* get dehydrated in a 5K race. I have also had severe headaches following races; one of my worst was after a Chase Challenge (3.5 mi) race that wiped me out for the next 36 hours. After the 2007 race, I drank about 2 liters of sports drink and ate three bananas. The headache started to surface, but it got tamped down in time.
              I suppose it's possible to get dehydrated to the point of a painful headache from 25-30 minutes of exercise, but it would be fairly unusual. Of course, if one is dehydrated to begin with, any exercise at all could exacerbate the situation.

Lazy idiot

Despite what another poster said, you certainly *can* get dehydrated in a 5K race. I have also had severe headaches following races; one of my worst was after a Chase Challenge (3.5 mi) race that wiped me out for the next 36 hours. After the 2007 race, I drank about 2 liters of sports drink and ate three bananas. The headache started to surface, but it got tamped down in time.
                But were you properly hydrated before the race? This, to me, would seem to be more important information for a race of this length. Everyone is different and there will be odd cases for all types of things like this, but I would think in general that Tanya is likely to be correct: if you're properly prepared for a race of this length, dehydration likely is not a big issue. My $0.02

Tick tock

Lazy idiot

Of course, if one is dehydrated to begin with, any exercise at all could exacerbate the situation.
                  I'm too slow. Big grin

Tick tock

Scout7

Willing to bet it has absolutely nothing to do with dehydration. Here. And here. Even more More possible causes. Note none of them attribute it to dehydration.
                      thanks for the input, I'll talk with my doc about it but it's not going to keep me from running. I really believe it's a combination of things. Genetically I'm not a athlete by any stretch (more of a musician), i remember getting sick as shit when I was younger playing out in the sun, while all my friends and brothers were ok. My face would turn blush red (still does) most every time I exercise. (my mother has the same thing too). Anyhow no biggie, I'm not trying to set any records, hey, somebody has to lead the back of the pack! peace Theron

A Saucy Wench

My husband gets migraines sometimes during bike rides. He finds that gu/gatorade is the only way to head it off, but he hates that he has to take in sooo much gu that he feels the calorie burn is a wash. He is getting pretty sick of the sweet stuff. Intensity seems to play a role for him (docs have not been much help except to say that it couldnt POSSIBLY be low blood sugar and here are some fabulous drugs for which he is really grateful. ) We are currently experimenting with intensity/hr to see if there is a connection.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7