Ex-smoker starting a running routine - anyone else in this boat? (Read 1304 times)

I'm also a former smoker. Smoked for maybe 10 years on and off and quit a few years ago. I didn't start running right away, but did join a gym at the time. Exercise in general is a great replacement for smoking. Keep it up!
    huber

Im new here and I just quit alittle over 3 months ago. Difference between us is that I have let myself go. About 60 pounds over weight am running is straight killing me at this point. It has to be done though. Just want to get back to my old self where I can find enjoyment in running and fitness in general. Good luck to you!
        Hey there ... I just started getting into running myself after quitting smoking as well...in fact -- I've done a complete 360 in my life. I started weight lifting, yoga, and running right after quitting smoking, being negative and being an absolute downer all the time. Running, and the other training has really helped me see how great the human body is and how much more I appreciate it now. I know the choice was very good, and I know the months ahead are going to be very difficult, but I am prepared for them with the support of my girlfriend, friends, and hopefully all of you guys! So keep your head up, and stay positive and in a year we can both celebrate being clean for that time period!
        "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
        JSH II

My wife and I both (as well as a co-worker) had fantastic success with the prescription "Chantix". The cost was about that of a smoking habit - maybe a little less, for about 3 months. This drug effectively blocked the brain's receptors for nicotine in all three of us, and soon eliminated the cravings. The easiest attempt I've ever had at trying to quit by far! For anyone wanting to stop smoking, I highly recommend it (only with your doctor's permission, of course). As my co-worker described it: "It's like a miracle drug". (No, I don't own stock in the company - I wish I did! - and I don't know any drug reps). Just FYI if it helps anyone Smile.
          I agree with everything you said about Chantix. I picked a quit date about 2 months prior to quitting, started taking Chantix a week before, and never looked back. Haven't had a cigarette since January 1, 2007. It worked very well. While I still wanted a smoke, I didn't have that "panicky" feeling. It did give me weird dreams, and I still dream about smoking. I started the Couch-to-5k program about a month later. Now, I'm up to about 40-45 miles/month. I plan on running a half marathon in April. I still love the smell of cigarettes and crave them quite often, but I never doubt myself. It was both one of the hardest and most rewarding things I've ever done in my life.