Where do I begin? (Read 823 times)

I'm back to runningahead and back to running in general. I was running about 35 miles a week and broke my foot. After it was healed I had a surprised but welcomed pregnancy (doc didn't want me to run). So, now my daughter is 3 months old, and I have been running 4 miles twice a week. I did a 5k last weekend and was 11 places from last place. Blush I would love some advice on how to train for a better run and better body. I'm at a healthy weight not but would love to see some better changes in my body and want my runs to have more guality. I'm a little hesitant of speed work because of past injuries, (broken foot, torn ACL, torn cartlidge (sp) ) Is there some ideas, or websites that would be a good starting place for improvement. I also really do not want to run 35 miles weekly again-I was consumed with fitting in runs. I would love to be around 10-15 miles weekly. Oh, and because of my children I do most of my running on my treadmill, which I surprisingly love. Any help from you experts would be great. Thanks!
    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
      Not an expert here but what about Hal Higdon's Spring Training for Novices. I know you aren't a novice but it sounds like it is about the right mileage perhaps and would be better, I think, than too much too soon. here is a link to the plan http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springnovice.htm it involves running 4 days a week and working up from 9 to 15 miles a week over a 12 week period. Good luck.
      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
      • Complete a 10K fun run
        Generally, this program can give you some baselines how to increase your mileage. From MAFfers. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/Forum/c21e0b76511b453aa3c35f605402ba93
          thanks guys! The problem has always been increasing the quality of the run. Maybe faster, and or better form. The endurance issue has never been a problem. As long as I run 10 min miles I could run forever (I realize that's not fast but it's fast enough for me. I don't know if I want more miles, just better ones. Does that make sense?
          Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
          JakeKnight

thanks guys! The problem has always been increasing the quality of the run. Maybe faster, and or better form. The endurance issue has never been a problem. As long as I run 10 min miles I could run forever (I realize that's not fast but it's fast enough for me. I don't know if I want more miles, just better ones. Does that make sense?
            Nope. Not really. Because if you want better miles, you need more miles. Run enough, consistently, and you'll get better and faster. If you try to run too much "quality" stuff now, especially without that base, you won't improve much - and you'll probably just break your dumb foot again. That doesn't necessarily mean 35 miles. But 10 probably won't do it. How about 25? At your speed, that's around an hour, 4 times a week. After a few months of that, maybe add in a little faster work once a week. If you're consistent and patient, you'll get where you want to be soon enough.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

What Jake said.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)