2.5K!! 1.5 Mi!! (Read 1211 times)

You Are Beautiful.

Yeah, so it's only a ....2.5K but still! I have now gotten up to 1.5 mi. I'm training for my first spring triathlon, end-of-July. I'm also swimming 1/4 mi without too much gruff. Anyway, I have to say I feel great and I can't wait to get to the point where three miles feels like nothing. I'm still trying to build on the 10% increase *about* every week. I only work out about 4x a week (about 30-45 minutes at a time) so sometimes it takes a little longer or shorter. I haven't really been pushing for a record time yet. I'm still just happy that I can do it without stopping. I think my best time so far has been 17:05 (which is just about a 12:00/mile, I think). I look forward to picking up my speed a little and lengthening the run to the 2 mi, 3 mi mark. I read somewhere that you're supposed to be able to do 150% of your competition run (in case you run into some trouble) so my goal remains 4.5 mi without stopping. For the race, I would love to be able to do the 5k in 30 minutes but really I'll just be happy to finish. But July is still far enough away to ramp up the distance and the speed. The swim in my triathlon is downstream but that doesn't make me any happier about running those 3+ miles at the end. So I just wanted to share my (mini) achievement: 1.5 mile run!

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
    Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Great job! Im still working up small distances too. Keep it up!
      2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.

Gotta TRI

Kudos and congratulations to both of you. Keep it up. Big grin
        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
          We have the same shoes too! XD
          2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Eventually you'll get to where 1.5 mile is your warm-up. I was where you are almost 3 years ago. It won't be long before you're running for a solid hour or more. Enjoy this early time. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TammyinGP

Congratulations! Every milestone is exciting! I remember when I decided to start running because I wanted to run a St. Patty's Day 5K with some co-workers. I started running 4 wks prior to the race and the most i ever got up to was 1.5 miles. That was such a huge milestone for me! I figured I'd have to take a walk break during the 5K but that was okay. I started out only able to run about a minute and now was up to about 17 minutes to run that 1.5 miles. That was progress! Well, I ran that 5K in about 36 minutes and never had to stop. In fact, when I saw the finish line, I couldn't believe it! It was so much fun! So, I understand your excitement at reaching this milestone - you are doing GREAT!!

Tammy

You Are Beautiful.

Smile thank you everyone for being kind! i know it's no 5-minute mile or a 10 mile run but i feel really good about it. i hated running in high school. this week, i have moved from the treadmill to outside. so wish me luck on the next batch of running!

My Storygraph

Queen of 3rd Place

Oooh...I think you're really going to like getting outside! Take it especially easy as you will be changing to a different surface; some people think the road is harder on their bodies than the treadmill, others say vice-versa, so you'll have to find out for yourself.

Ex runner

You Are Beautiful.

I think the road is WAY harder for the simple fact I don't have an odometer in front of me. On the tm I can say, "No I'm not tired, I've only run 1/2 mile." On the road, it's like, "I've been running for MILES!" I am now sort of loosely following the C25k program. I started at "week 5". . .I did 1.75 (on the tm) the other day... it took me 20 minutes even, which made it an 11:42 mile, ok for me. Not too fast, not too slow I'm well on my way towards 2 miles. That will be my next mini-milestone! Also, I think this week I'm registering for my first sprint triathlon (July 26th). Thanks for all the positive feedback. I know it's not fast or long but it helps me stick with it to get a little encouragement. Smile

My Storygraph

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

You're a rockstar! I just started running in Feb and when I ran that first continuous mile I was ecstatic! I seriously had never run a mile in my life. It IS a huge milestone - I am so happy for you! It sounds like you are making great progress and will be doing those 3 milers with no probs soon Big grin Keep us posted on your progress!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!