Whats the average cost out of pocket to run Marathons? (Read 584 times)

De-slacking in progress

For you experienced runners, who travel all over to run these races, it seems to me that to paticipate in a big races with the hotels,etc that it costs some big money to run an out of town race. Hopefully in a few years or so I'll do something similar. Just from reading your posts, it seems to me that you have to have some wealth to be able to participate like this. I could join the local Challenger series held in our area and run 5K's and 10K races, which I think there is 25-30 of them during the season for points and a big party at the end of the year. With each run averaging around $18 that would cost me $400+ How much on average? Is there some insane amount of money you trashed just to run a certain race?

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

A Saucy Wench

The most I ever spent was my first marathon. I cant even think of the amount. I was raising money for charity for an out of town race in phoenix. They were putting us up in an insanely expensive resort hotel (I shudder to think of what horrendous percentage of my fundraising went to airfare and hotel) . So I paid probably $300 of being short of my fundraising goal PLUS airfare for my husband and infant daughter (we didnt do the lap child thing, experience had taught us that the only way she would sleep is in a carseat) PLUS the hideously expensive half of the double occupancy suite at the resort for dh and dd. Fundraising only covered my half. I think it was 3 nights at a make me vomit rate. Oh plus rental car. All in all I spent around $1000 I think. But - and here is the delicious irony (shut up Trent) I was a crappy undertrained runner. The whole damn training I probably ran through one pair of shoes. Now I still have crabby feet that mean frequent shoe changes and I need new shoes about every 6 weeks. I expect to spend around $700 on shoes this year to run a marathon 20 miles from my home.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Well now, it totally depends on the race. How far you go, how long you stay, etc. Whether you can stay with friends... if you go solo or with buddy/buddies. If you take family along. See how this can be complicated? Here's the thing. If you go to a big city, the airfare may (or may not) be a little cheaper and you may not rent a car. But the hotel will be most likely be spendy. If you go to a more obscure place, the hotel might be dirt cheap, but the airfare/carfare could be outrageous. But sometimes it isn't. (shrug) It is always different. The most I've ever popped down for a mainland US race weekend traveling solo was 1200, but at least I got in two races that weekend. Usually it costs significantly less. And that was too much to spend "just" for races; I did other great stuff. Incidentally, an 'average' isn't that meaningful... the costs can really range.

protoplasm72

Here's the thing. If you go to a big city, the airfare may (or may not be a little cheaper) and you may not rent a car. But the hotel will be spendy. If you go to a more obscure place, the hotel might be dirt cheap, but the airfare/carfare could be outrageous. But sometimes it isn't. (shrug) It is always different.
          Only if the marathon in the obscure place is small. Grandma's marathon in Duluth cost me $200 a night at a freakin Holiday Inn Express with a 2 night minimum. Small town + twice the population of the town running the marathon = price gouging. Ironically Phoenix was the other marathon I traveled to and total it was at least 2-3 hundred less. srlopez is right though. Average doesn't mean anything cause there are to many variables.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

xor

No, I assure you that Grandmas is one of the real outliers. In the general case, you can stay cheap (super 8-ish) when you head to a small town (and yes I realize Duluth isn't exactly the same as Podunk, Ohio). Grandmas is wellllll known for hotel pain and suffering. Even when the race was a bit smaller, they did this. Missoula is a good example here. I paid 79/night to stay. And a rental car for 23 hours? The absolute cheapest was 100 bucks (not including gas). All the companies were the same... subcompact, 100 a day.

Hawt and sexy

Totally depends. My last marathon was about $1200. I stayed at the host hotel (beach front and considered in season) that was ~$300 a night then food, gas, entertainment and other various supplies added up fast. If you count shoes for training add about $200 to that. My local marathon has/will cost me $60 (race fee) plus a couple hundred again in training shoes and maybe $20-$50 for other supplies. Other supplies can be things like a new outfit or gels/gummy bears whatever. If the marathon is not local figure $200-600 for transportation depending on type, hotel can be $80 to as much as you are willing to pay a night (Plan for two nights). Food will be high priced as you usually eat out the whole time and pop/water/juice is expensive in the hotels convenience shop. I also try to have enough cash on hand to handle about any emergency. I am not wealthy, I do a big race about twice a year. Sometimes I am lucky enough to have a friend to stay with on race day. An average race might be about $600 for me but I have been lucky and been able to race on the cheep. MCM last year comes to mind. I think I paid about $200 total for that one and the majority of that was transportation. Amtrak is great out here.

I'm touching your pants.