Running After the Flu (Read 1191 times)

hittingstride

Good Evening: I need some advice as to how to return to running after a 3 day bout with the flu. I typically run 25-30 miles per week and have not missed doing so for the past two years. I have missed running for the last three days, the longest break I have had in that period. Any advice as to how and when to start back? Should I run the first day I feel better? Thanks
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, are we talking influenza flu or gastroenteritis "flu?" If you had the upper type it probably depends upon how it affected your lungs. I got over a flu bug that was in my lungs and I was out for a solid week (ended up on antibiotics for subsequent sinus infection). Intestinal bug...I guess once you are not having issues and have re-hydrated that you'd be good for an easier week.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

hittingstride

Hi Kirsten: It is the influenza type and not the intestinal type. Lot's of sinus junk and coughing. I noticed that our goals for 2K8 are almost identical. I have not yet found my way around the forum to post them on my profile. I have run 2 HMs in the past two years and finished in 2:03 & 2:01. It was a cross-country marathon so I think I have a shot at under two with more of a road course. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Phil