Bob Costas Gun Control Statement (Read 1054 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I just got an ad for a firearms training school. Heh, gotta keep these ads turned on.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

npaden

Stolen from another forum that I post on.

"If Jevon Belcher didn't have a gun he and his girlfriend would still be alive." Bob Costas. "I respectfully disagree." OJ Simpson.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Are you all refugees from gunningahead.com?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Tiefsa

Are you all refugees from gunningahead.com?

Damn it!

Oh, about the guns.  They scare me.  That's why I don't own one.  Less guns would equal less death, but this country loves their guns.  That's how we became a country in the first place.  We are supposed to have the means to rise up against our own government.   I'm sure a mob of us with guns could totally take down the US military.  Umm, wait a minute.  I just played some Black Ops 2.  I think the government has better weapons than us.

Why on earth are we talking about Gun Control on Runningahead.com?!

Well, if we must, my opinion on this after years of listening to both sides of the argument comes up to the following:

1)  America loves its' guns. 

2)  Any attempt to 'ban' guns is merely a utopian idea.  As impossible to implement as Prohibition was or banning drugs was.

3)  Any attempt by any political group to ban guns completely would result in that political parties' demise. (And record gun sales...)

4)  Even if the USA did ban a type of gun completely, Russia, China, some other nation would fill in the production gap.

5)  When the USA tries to ban guns completely in a region (Washington DC for example) it results in three things:   One:  All Law abiders do not purchase guns.  Two: All Law abiders who keep their guns have to violate the law to keep 'em!  Three:  All crooks KEEP their guns so you end up with a situation where only the non-law abiders are armed!   And note also, even though handguns are illegal in DC, it has the highest death by gun rate per capita in the USA.    -- Laws passed with good intentions oftentimes have the opposite effect that was intended.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-death-rate-per-100-000

Those are the cold, hard facts, folks!.  Guns are here to stay!  (And no, I don't own one currently.  Not 'till the kids move out :-) ). 

---As to Bob Costas, or any sports commentator,their job is sports only.  They should not be talking about opinions on gun control, opinions on global warming, or anything else.  Yes, both of those things are important issues, but not during sports event commentary. 

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

This thread sucks.

Runners run

Damn it!

Oh, about the guns.  They scare me.  That's why I don't own one.  Less guns would equal less death, but this country loves their guns.  That's how we became a country in the first place.  We are supposed to have the means to rise up against our own government.   I'm sure a mob of us with guns could totally take down the US military.  Umm, wait a minute.  I just played some Black Ops 2.  I think the government has better weapons than us.

Yes, the government has better weapons.  And Armor. (And these were our 'light' weapons, I can provide .50 cal images if needed  :-)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=102303716490041&set=t.1028482786&type=3&theater

Duke_Afghan_Trng  

EDIT:  Well crap, that didn't work... Was an image of me in 2010 headed to Afghanistan with an M-9 and M-16...  I need more "picture posting" training... :-)  Methods that work on RWOL are different here..

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

xor

The thing you link, if you want the picture to appear, has to be specifically an URL to an image (ending in gif, jpg, png, etc).  The thing you are linking is facebook's goofy photo viewer, and that won't work.  There used to be an f-key you could hit that would dump you out of the facebook photoviewer.  Then you would right click the image and "view image".  That would give you the raw url you need.

facebook doesn't make this easy.  Intentionally.

MrNamtor

if you're using windows, i think you can right-mouse-click on facebook's photoviewer  and select "copy image location" and then just paste it to the "insert link" dialogue here. Unless you're talking about something else here.

MrNamtor

yeah and what's kind of messed up is that if your photos are private, a friend can still link and post your private photos anywhere. i just did this to a facebook friend of mine to test it.

Costas has his right to voice his opinion, so I have no problem with him expressing it. I also agree with those (even the gun owner) who says that guns make it easier to kill. In the irrational heat of an argument I would rather get punched than shot.

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

But what about Bob?

Oh yeah right Costas took lessons from the following.....

Bob Costas like Barrymore, Robbins and Sarandon is an actor, performer, media darling but he is about qualified to speak out on some issues as Mr. Barrack H. Obama is to perform brain surgery. And yes, I purposely loaded unflatering photos. The vacuous blond and crazy looks sort of help stress the point of Bill Murray from the movie 'What about Bob' of Bob Costas being crazy in my opinion.

Handguns and rifles, like hatchets and axes are tools. They are not inherently evil although they can be dangerous when misused or used when emotions flair. Costas should only stay on script and with what he is qualified to speak about (not much out side of sports). Society as a whole is too complex to neatly break down, label, sort, pigeon hole, qualify and quantify by some lame ass commentator. Or would we allow the dreamers not grounded in the realities of daily life to set up a personal Utopia unprotected by people who are realistic?

The genie is out of the bottle, Pandora has opened her box and no amount of railing about guns and people who use them illegally or unsafely will ever push the issues back into the containers. We accept that our world is violatile and we are not always safe; we adapt, we mourn when we must and we move on.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

It's really very simple...gun control is being able to hit what you're shooting at.

For a couple of you who question why I posted this thread on "Off the Beaten Path" is because this for anything and everything.  I can see you complaining if I posted this on Running 101 or General Running.  It's a different subject like all of the other topics posted in this section that's not about running.

I'm also a member on a firearm forum and they have a section on health and fitness so guess what I talked about....the benefits of running.

Purdey

Self anointed title

This thread sucks.

Not all MM. Americans arguing about gun control is a great spectator sport for the rest of the world. Better even than the great health care "debates". Carry on.