SO Close... (Read 639 times)

Another Passion

I just got my wife's and my official times from our Race for the Cure 5k we ran yesterday in Toledo, OH. And the results are: My wife's goal was to "not come in last" (the eternal optimist) or break 30 minutes without breaking anything physically... she came in at 29:49!! This was her first race! She hadn't even really been running much prior to this race. Way to go, Honey!! I am SO proud of her! Big grin As for me, this was my second 5k race, the first of which I ran last year in 26:02. My goal for this race was 24:48 and I came in at 25:03!!! Ughhh! I actually would have been thrilled at breaking 25:00 so I missed that by just 4 seconds!! I am happy with my time though as I ran hard and it was only my second race and I did PR by nearly a full minute and got much closer to my race goal than I thought I might. Surprised Races are addictive though and I am looking forward to running a longer race, most likely a HM, in the future. Probably the Glass City Marathon as a two person team in spring '08. My wife and I had planned on that last spring when she had IT band issues from training for the race which dashed that goal. Perhaps next year is the year. After reading some of the other race reports of the talented runners that hang out here, I was almost embarrassed posting this under "Racing", but after reading a lot of your posts I have noted the majority of you are as kind (and tolerant of amatures) and helpful as you are gifted and talented in your running. Smile

Rick
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

WTG!!! That is great progress! Congrats to both of you and I think it's awesome that you guys will be training to run a half together Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Good job in your race! 4 seconds is very attainable and you'll get it next time. Races do become addicting. Try finding some kind of running series. I ran a spring and summer 5k series and it was a great and fun experience, I cant wait for next year! Thanks for the report! Smile
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Keep running, Rick, you'll set a new 5k PR in no time! Kudos to your wife in surpassing her goal, too. And I love the Marathon relay idea for a married couple. Wish I could get DH to run. We joke about doing a triathlon relay with him biking, me running...we just need to find a swimmer! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Excellent job Rick and wife (make sure you tell her good job from all of us here). That's so great that you did the race together. Congrats on the PR and best of luck in your upcoming training! Keep us updated on the progress. Sara

Another Passion

We joke about doing a triathlon relay with him biking, me running...we just need to find a swimmer! Wink k
              Thanks, Zoomie. I would love to help you out with the swimming, but even my black lab is a horrible swimmer and... that runs in the family!

Rick

Another Passion

Excellent job Rick and wife (make sure you tell her good job from all of us here). Sara
                Thank you, Sara. Oh, and wife's (that sounds so antiseptic) name is, Tammy, and I will certainly pass the back-patting on to her. Maybe some front as well. Embarrassed Thank you as well Chenille and trent for the encouragement. The peeps (that's about the extent of my "hipness" which actually shows how truly LAME I really am!!) on this site are truly awesome.

Rick

Good work by both of you! A 59 second PR is certainly nothing to be ashamed of! Now the trick will be to keep dropping 30 or 40 seconds per race for the next year or so...

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Hey there. I also run the Toledo RftC, and having done so the past couple years, I'll tell you it isn't the best course to set a PR on. My times and the times of several of my friends who run it are always a little high, due to the initial congestion and the course layout. So be happy with your improved time! If you run another race in the area, you'll probably meet your goal in no time at all. Keep improving!

Another Passion

Thanks Blaine and s.crissman. I saw you and Mishka in the race results posted. You are certainly right about the congestion of that race at the beginning, s.crissman. I spent the first 3/4 - mile just picking my way through people (and kids, ugh) trying to get on pace and stay there. Hard to do when you're hopping left to right, accelerating and decelerating, and hopping left to right again. It was fun though and I'm happy how it turned out. BTW, crissman, my daughter runs at Wildwood with the Bedford XC team very frequently.

Rick