prescription sunglasses (Read 1360 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Does anyone know of a good website or place to get prescription sunglasses? They only ones my eye doctor has are like ray bans or googles. I want some cool sunglasses that look cool, are good for running and that are prescription. It would also be nice if we could take advantage of our insurance. Also it would be cool to check out a local big chain that might have these so that I could try on some and find what I like. Then order them on a website at a cheaper price. Cool
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

I'm planning to do the same as you, BearCat. A running buddy got a new pair of trifocals w/ transition (darkening) lenses in Oakley frames from her eye doctor. They definitely pass the Lookin' Cool test. I've looked at all the frames available at the Oakley website but haven't investigated further how to get them made elsewhere using my eye dr's rx. So I'll follow your thread....

Jeanne

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Oakleys huh. I will check that out. I am sure some other people will chime in with more information. We can't be the first people looking for RX sunglasses.
          2011 Goals:
          It will depend on your prescription. When I looked at getting some prescription sunglasses earlier this year, they told me my prescription was too strong to go into almost all of the "cool factor" sunglasses. By the time I found a pair I liked - that would also work with my prescription - the bill was going to be $450. I eventually went with my wife's wonderful idea to go with disposable contacts and just buy some regular sunglasses. Now I don't have to worry about losing or breaking a $450 pair of "sunglasses".

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I don't have to wear mine very often but it would be nice to have a pair of sunglasses that I could actually see the street signs a little easier while driving and running. I'm not big on contacts and my eye doctor says I don't need contacts. I do worry about breaking a pair of expensive sunglasses though. Especially since I just had my old sunglasses out to take a look at what my other two pair look like so I could find some similiar ones. Next thing I know my son has a pair of them on his head. Now these are only the $25 sunglasses but if he had on say Oakleys I would have had to lay the smack down on the boy to get those glasses back. 4 year old boys can hold on to things pretty well when they don't want to give them back. Only a 10% chance I would have had to do that, but if I did it wouldn't have been pretty. We would have had to thrown down Clowning around
              2011 Goals:
              My glasses are pretty expensive, but I wear them all the time so I ended up getting the transition type lenses (they darken up when exposed to UV light). I would be Cry if I lost my glasses. Sites you might want to look at http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/ http://zennioptical.com/ http://www.43folders.com/2007/11/29/adventures-40-eyeglasses Walmart and Sam's Club Costco http://www.Goggles4u.com http://www.39dollarglasses.com Prescription sunglasses are something I should be looking into. Friend of mine gets awesome sunglasses at swapmeets. modal (who tried contacts, and decided he liked spectacles)

Vim

I've got pair of Maxx-30's from RX-Specs... Cool looking (I think) and durable -- also cheaper than others I've had. Here's a link to my frames: http://www.libertyoptical.com/products_maxx30.asp You can search their site for a dealer near you, I think.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

zer0vector

I'm going to agree with modal, check out some of the online eyeglass sellers like Zenni or Goggles4u. They might not be the most stylish frames, but when you can get a pair of prescription sunglasses for less than $30 shipped, it's tough to argue.

De-slacking in progress

Went to eye doctor today to buy me a pair of 1/2 jacket style of Oakleys- had all the info on the exact pair I wanted. But once i got there she told me that the 1/2 jacket types don't have the entire lense as a prescript. It's more like an insert thats added onto the lense. She is a runner and she basically said they look like crap with the prescript in and discouraged me from buying them. I guess the full frames models (which are cheaper) have the entire lense prescript'd but I don't like being able to see the frame on the bottom- I'm always dogging potholes,etc. Plus I'd think they fog up even more. Does anyone have an Oakley 1/2 jacket style sunglass with the prescript in it? Do they really look bad like she says? Help- this money is burning a hole in my pocket and the sun is burning my eyes. Currently I'm running with regular glasses and clip ons- dorky and doesn't do the job

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Queen of 3rd Place

I have the Oakley half jackets with my prescription and they look just fine. Find another eyeglass shop. Arla

Ex runner

De-slacking in progress

I have the Oakley half jackets with my prescription and they look just fine. Find another eyeglass shop. Arla
                        I called Oakely Friday night- he said my eye doctor was incorrect, that Oakley only has about 3 models thats are inserts (unless your prescript too strong) I went back in today with print out of glasses and dealt with another employee who knew more about Oakelys and ordered them with no problem (Oakley Flak Jacket poloarized XLJ). Can't wait to get them

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I bought the oakleys flak jacket and they are awesome sunglasses. I love them and wear them all the time. It is amazing how great they are. The only thing I was a little disappointed in was that during a cold run the seemed to fog up every now and then. Really kind of annoying but I still love them and you will too.
                            2011 Goals:

Marquess of Utopia

I got a pair of prescription sunglasses three months ago, I didn't have very many options but I found a pair a Ray Ban's that work well for running and driving.

De-slacking in progress

I called Oakely Friday night- he said my eye doctor was incorrect, that Oakley only has about 3 models thats are inserts (unless your prescript too strong) I went back in today with print out of glasses and dealt with another employee who knew more about Oakelys and ordered them with no problem (Oakley Flak Jacket poloarized XLJ). Can't wait to get them
                              CRAP- my prescript is 1/2 point too much- can't get Oakely unless it's full framed lense- grrr. Oh well- saved myself $350 for now- will just have to do without and explore other options- I really don't want full frames but I might have to bend on that. MTA: bent- got the Full Jackets- polarized- don't even notice the frame when I'm running and it keeps out ALL the sunlight from all sides- crystal clear

TJR

I have a pair of prescription Oakley Half-Jacket XLJs. I love them. I got both the clear lenses (for trail running in low light conditions and playing softball) and the black polarized lenses for sunny days. I also have a pair of prescription Oakly Juliets I use for non-sports activities.