Running with PF? (Read 1755 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Recovering from PF is far less complicated than all that.

To allow the plantar fascia time to heal, you have to stop using it.  Just pick your feet up.  Stop pushing off with your toes.  And after you recover, don't go back to pushing off with your toes.

Zombie thread, however I disagree with this.

Keep running, baby.

dennrunner

au contraire

julz24

Been looking for this thread for a minute. Thanks everyone.

I look my best blurry!

Knock on wood-I'm just getting over it myself and I tried almost everything. After a bunch of modalities, iontophoesis, anti-inflammatories, running, not running, ice, stretching, yoga, massage, strengthening, night splints, Strassburg socks, ASTYM myofascial therapy, a sports psychologist, Dawson treatment, going barefoot, wearing supportive shoes with orthotics and running on the Alter-G, I'm finally getting some relief. I can only hope it lasts.

What worked??? It's hard to say what will work for you, because it seems like everyone is different, but after 3 months of struggling and hitting rock bottom (curled up in a ball boo hooing) I stopped running for several days, went to PT and started a slightly different stretching program(more aggressive) and ASTYM myofascial treatments, wore supportive shoes (all the time), started taking anti-inflammatories, slept in Strassburg socks (very sexy!) and lastly started running in cushioned shoes on the Alter-G. Wah lah! Everyday is a little better. My PF is almost completely gone!!! I hope this helps.

I have fought PF just about every time I train for a marathon, and at some point it gets to a point where I think I am going to be stopped by the pain, but each time, I have run thru it and out of it. I have tried ALL the treatments and remedies that are out there, and what I have found works best is... doing nothing. The less I try to remedy it, the better off I am. In fact, alot of the stuff I have tried has done nothing but make it worse, and prolonged it. So... if I wanna keep training, I deal with the pain. If I wanna get rid of the PF, I just back off the miles and it fades away.

JML

Knock on wood-I'm just getting over it myself and I tried almost everything. After a bunch of modalities, iontophoesis, anti-inflammatories, running, not running, ice, stretching, yoga, massage, strengthening, night splints, Strassburg socks, ASTYM myofascial therapy, a sports psychologist, Dawson treatment, going barefoot, wearing supportive shoes with orthotics and running on the Alter-G, I'm finally getting some relief. I can only hope it lasts.

What worked??? It's hard to say what will work for you, because it seems like everyone is different, but after 3 months of struggling and hitting rock bottom (curled up in a ball boo hooing) I stopped running for several days, went to PT and started a slightly different stretching program(more aggressive) and ASTYM myofascial treatments, wore supportive shoes (all the time), started taking anti-inflammatories, slept in Strassburg socks (very sexy!) and lastly started running in cushioned shoes on the Alter-G. Wah lah! Everyday is a little better. My PF is almost completely gone!!! I hope this helps.

+1 on "everyone is different" .  While struggling with PF and trying all the options listed above (and others), I learned that this is a VERY individualized affliction that required me to try different approaches until I found what works for me. 

The secret sauce that tamed my PF:  Slightly different shoes and keeping a golf ball under my desk at work that I use to stretch my foot multiple times each day. 

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

What worked??? It's hard to say what will work for you, because it seems like everyone is different,

+1

I would agree that when PF is severe, some time off is necessary, particularly if you do speedwork or like to race moderately regularly. On the other hand, I imagine you can run through mild PF, particularly if you're not doing any kind of speed that re-injures it.

Glad to hear you're doing better!

+1  on everyone is different  & added to that is the difficulty of sticking to any one or more treatments individualized for you.  i.e. most everyone tries several different things for a few days & when it does not feel like its getting better, we switch things around looking for a quick fix.  makes it even more difficult to figure out what if anything is working.  I've been dealing with this PF for about 2 mths now & have tried most everything that has been suggested.  slightly improving last 2 1/2 wks but still a daily issue & each day is different, some better some no improvement.   light stretching especially before getting out of bed, icing, aleve seem to help.  tried taping & night brace, both made it worse.  the 3 things that I feel have been most beneficial:  1. still running 6 days/wk but 1/2 of what I was doing.  mostly all easy, cut way back on hills/speedwork,LR's. walk for a few minutes before starting run as well  2. alternating shoes for wo's & at work- wear racing flats for 1/2 of my shifts & wearing the flats couple times/wk for shorter days of running. also not wearing shoes during gym wo's (until they say something)  3. since I work on cement floors all day, been allowing longer time between runs & work.  i.e. on early shifts either take day off from running or run later at night few hours after coming home.  before PF quite often would do 45-60 mn trail runs just before work or sometimes on way home, but not doing that now.  working later in day closing shifts mostly this week which is working perfect since it gives feet several hours after moring run.

all in all I believe that continuing running daily but easier/shorter & focusing on proper form has been most beneficial. 

good luck to all out there, very frustrating & mysterous thing, this PF

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

+1

I would agree that when PF is severe, some time off is necessary, particularly if you do speedwork or like to race moderately regularly. On the other hand, I imagine you can run through mild PF, particularly if you're not doing any kind of speed that re-injures it.

Glad to hear you're doing better!

Gosh Tonya, you should write about PF. 

LaurenThuman

Two solutions that have worked for me with plantar fasciitis is deep stretching and heel support. I have personally used the ProStretch Plus and Tuli's Heavy Duty Heel Cups. The ProStretch provides an amazing stretch that I have not been able to replicate anywhere. The heel cups also provide great support for everyday wear and tear as well as running long distances. Check out their website www.Medi-Dyne.com ! Hope you find relief !

-Lauren

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

3.5 miles on grass. HR 120 /126**14:40 AV pace.

New shoes. New Balance* M730GO *minimalist.

On the half mile C/D I could a little twitch in the hips.The goal is to see if the minimalist approach will help the PF.

Will keep you posted.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

keeponrunning

I'm battling it right now, and some days are better than others, but it's definitely better than it was.  

I cut back my mileage a bit in the summer for it.  However, in the summer I run on rock/dirt paths (can't really call them 'roads') which I found was a lot worse.  Also walking on the rocks on the shoreline was HORRIBLY painful.  So I guess what I'm trying to say is avoid really hard surfaces.  

What I have noticed is I often tense up my feet when I'm stressed or wearing badly fitting footwear (aka I borrowed some too big skis today and that hurt).  That can be helped by stretching out.  Also, wearing too stiff of shoes would trigger it.  Even now my hockey skates often hurt (but being Canadian I ain't giving up my hockey for nothing!!)

As people have said, we're all an experiment of one.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022