Is there an equation to figure this out? (Read 792 times)

arotrame

I'm a run/walker preparing for a half marathon this spring. I'm using a training plan from Marathoning for Mortals designed to run/walk the half at a ratio of 4 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking. My question is this... During some runs I run 3 and walk 2 and others I run 3 and walk 1. I'm wondering how much faster I should be doing the 3:1 after 40 minutes compared to the 3:2 for 40 minutes? I thought I would cover more distance during the 3:1 than I did during 3:2 and I do....but it's pretty insignificant. Like maybe a quarter mile. Does that sound right or am I being a total slacker when I do the 3:2 and not pushing myself hard enough?
      You need to supply your walking pace and your running pace to figure out how much faster the 3:1 ratio is than the 3:2 ratio. After that it's all algebra. Tom
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

It's all a question of training pace. When you run your training runs, what's your pace? If you keep track of your walking pace, what is it? When all is said and done, distance is speed x time. Here are some arbitrary numbers for example Let's say you're running 6 MPH (10MM) and walking 3.5MPH (16:48MM) In a 60 min workout, run/walking a 3:1 ratio you’re going to spend 45 min running and 15 min walking. 45 min of running at that pace will cover 4.5 miles and 15 minutes of walking will cover about .9 miles, totaling 5.4 miles. In the same 60 minutes using a 3:2 ratio, you’ll run for 36 minutes, covering 3.6 miles and walk for 12 minutes covering about .71 miles, totaling 4.3 miles. If you’re running for an hour, there’s a 1.1 mile difference, a 40 min workout will have a difference of just under ¾ of a mile. The bigger the difference is between your running pace and your walking pace, the bigger the difference will be between your 3:1 distance and 3:2 distance.
        jeffdonahue

Well, it could also be that after 2:00 of rest instead of 1:00 you are just more rested so that your running pace for the 3 minutes is a bit faster. I remember reading somewhere (Jeff Galloway maybe) that taking walk breaks for one minute, you really only would lose about 15 seconds off if ran for that minute. Granted, You cant just be strolling during that minute, but it's really not that significant when you think about it - assuming it is true, I havent tested it.
            that taking walk breaks for one minute, you really only would lose about 15 seconds off if ran for that minute. Granted, You cant just be strolling during that minute, but it's really not that significant when you think about it - assuming it is true, I havent tested it.
            That would be true if your running pace and walking paces were closer together than most. If you ran at 9 MPM and walked at 18MPM, you would lose 30 seconds for each 1 minute walk break. Its the difference in pace as a % of the slower pace,,with that % applied to a minute. If you ran at 10 MPM and walked at 15 MPM,, you would only lose about 20 seconds per minute walk break.
            arotrame

Thanks for all the replies... Mr. Inertia made things pretty clear in his example. Smart guy. For anyone who is curious. I usually run the first of the three minutes at 6.0 on the treadmill, the second minute at 5.5, and the third minute at 5.0...or some assemblance of that. Later in runs I might go 5.5, 5.0 and then 5.5 again. And then I usually walk at 3.7 or 3.5. I guess I was surprised at little time I lost...and again, you're right, over a longer distance the difference is distance would increase.
              C-R

Well done Mr. inertia. This is a link (copy and paste into your browser) from a CR Galloway discussion which provides you with a couple of pace calculators. I've used these with friends and UncleSteve59 from CR seemed happy to share so I will pass along. I donwloaded to my computer at home a few weeks ago and it appears ok per my security software. Hope this is helpful - ftp://ftp2.rediker.com/updates/Steve/RunCalcs/RunCalcsSetup.exe

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/