Need help diagnosing! (Read 565 times)

AleXC94

Hi everyone, i've been getting some pain near where my achilles attaches to my heel. I feel nothing when I pinch my achilles tendon until i get really low right where it attaches to my heel. It's basically a typical injury that hurts the most in the morning and loosens up as I walk. It hurts the most when I've been sitting for a long period of time and try to walk. It feels better while i'm running on grass. I use my thumb to massage the lower part of the achilles by pressing the tendon onto the upper parts of my calcaneus. 

Some possible diagnosis's are achilles tendonitis, retrocalcaneal bursitis and plantar fascitis. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys!

Where you are describing is attachment point of achilles to the calcaneous. Sounds like a some mild tendonitis or just as stress reaction. Just be smart with it. Before runs, try to get it warm with hot soak, half calf raises (not full range).

Do you feel it when you stretch your calves with knee straight and knee bent or not so much?    How long have you had this discomfort and has it gotten worse?

Be sure to ice after activity and watch intensity for a while.  Also, do some negatives. Go on a step and slowly lower your heel until you feel a mild stretch and repeat many times.

Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, succeed!!

AleXC94

Well its been bothering me for around 2 weeks now. It really started hurting after I did a time trial. I feel it when I stretch with my knee straight and its not so bad when i stretch with my knee bent. If it is tendonitis will cutting back on my mileage & intensity do the trick? or would I most likely have to take days off.

I think right now, you should cut intensity as you felt it or tweaked during a time trial so this is a starting point. I am not sure about rest. You may not need to take time off if you manage it correctly. This means, warming it up before a run - heat, massage, active warm up. Run comfortable pace and then ice. Some negatives and mild stretching is ok. Try this for 2 weeks and see how you feel. You will not lose any major fitness by by not doing quality or speed work for 2 weeks. If no improvement or if it worsens. You may need a week off. You need to get this corrected before it becomes chronic. Play it by ear.

Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, succeed!!

AleXC94

Is there any ointment I could apply or anything proactive I can do? I really hate not being able to do anything except rest it. Are massages effective because I heard that achilles injuries are hard to heal because they dont get enough blood supply. So anything that can facilitate blood circulation would be good right?