Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Obesity Ads (Read 1741 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

the hydrogenated lard is often also bleached.  You could always just buy yourself a big ol side o pork and render your own lard.  That's what Trent would do you know.  Well except for the pig part.  And the animal part.  But otherwise if Trent ate lard, I am sure he would render it himself. 

I can see how it would appeal to Trent on some levels.  And not on others.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I can see how it would appeal to Trent on some levels.  And not on others.

You know what really appeals to me?  Helping you to help the SWOF.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A healthy eating challenge to any of you willing to take it:

Food stamps provide $200/month for an individual at poverty. $50/week. Take a week, any week, and see if you can eat healthy and spend ONLY $50 on food in that week, without using anything you bought prior to this week (such as condiments, etc). And you have to do it while also working, running, and whatever else you would do in a regular week. It can be done, but it is not easy. And it is much easier just to buy some fast food or cheap junky snacks to get by.

If there are others in your house, you get a few more dollars, but not many.

AND, take the money you save in this week and donate it to the SWOF while you are at it.

A Saucy Wench

Food stamps provide $200/month for an individual at poverty. $50/week. Take a week, any week, and see if you can eat healthy and spend ONLY $50 on food in that week, without using anything you bought prior to this week (such as condiments, etc). And you have to do it while also working, running, and whatever else you would do in a regular week. It can be done, but it is not easy. And it is much easier just to buy some fast food or cheap junky snacks to get by.

AND, take the money you save in this week and donate it to the SWOF while you are at it.

I was impressed by my friend.  When her husband went on unemployment they qualified for foodstamps.  Her food budget went UP significantly for the month they were on them. 

Although I dont know about not using condiments or spices that you bought prior....even families on foodstamps tend to get pantry of things like that before long.  Who buys salt 1 week at a time. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Although I dont know about not using condiments or spices that you bought prior....even families on foodstamps tend to get pantry of things like that before long.  Who buys salt 1 week at a time. 

Where do you draw the line? What condiments are allowed and which ones are not allowed? Catsup? Salsa? Spag sauce? It is a slippery slope. Try the experiment pure.

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I have done this.  It resulted in me basically taking on a Mediterranean diet.  Lots of rice, beans, lentils, veggies and water rather than juices/milk.  I also went with generic mini-wheats.  I added one spice a week.  I also went with lots of chicken and turkey.  I probably ate healthier for those three months than the rest of the year.  It was a pain in the ass on those nights when I didn't want to cook or didn't want to package everything up for lunch the next day.  It was inconvenient at times.  It would be much, much harder if i didn't have the nice knives and pans that i have which making cooking twice as fast than would be the case if you had lower quality tools.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Feeling the growl again

Where do you draw the line? What condiments are allowed and which ones are not allowed? Catsup? Salsa? Spag sauce? It is a slippery slope. Try the experiment pure.

Why allow anything?  Go to a restaurant, buy a cup of coffee.  Mix the ketchup and saltine crackers on the table together and voila, free soup. 

Yes, I've seen this.  More than once.

BTW, I am not THAT old and I ate pretty healthy on under $100/mo throughout college and most of grad school.  Adjusting for inflation and food price inflation it would still stay well under $200.  

MTA:  Your friends are rice and pasta.  Meat gets hard (unless like me you just shoot and process a ton of it yourself).  Somehow, though, in my hometown grocery store the day food stamps went out they all came in and blew them on steaks.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why allow anything?  Go to a restaurant, buy a cup of coffee.  Mix the ketchup and saltine crackers on the table together and voila, free soup.

Agreed.  You want it, you buy it. Out of your budget.

Your friends are rice and pasta.

Well, except that long term, a diet consisting just of this is not healthy.

Feeling the growl again

Well, except that long term, a diet consisting just of this is not healthy.

Who said "only"?  You use cheap sources of calories to reduce the quantity of more expensive food needed to meet your daily intake requirements.  The added foods provide the balance of nutrients required.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Beer isn't food, right?, meaning this isn't part of my beer budget, right?

But seriously, I agree that it would probably stretch the $50 more if you bought crap food.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

It is not so expensive to eat healthy. Seems like spaniel and I both learned the same thing from grad school.

$50 per person per week? Of course there are economies of scale in preparing food - if you have $200 for 4 people for a week I reckon you could have a pretty good go at preparing nutritious healthy food.

3 meals a day is basically $10 per meal for 4 people.  I'm pretty confident that I can make a good meal for 4 people with $10 worth of ingredients. Breakfast can often be oatmeal and milk, which works out less than that, so you have more for other meals...

One thing to point out is is that you don't really need much meat in your diet - which is quite expensive. And you need to be smart about how you shop - don't decide in advance what you're buying - look at what's cheap because it's in season, or the shop has overstocked, or because of various promotions.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

$50 per person per week? Of course there are economies of scale in preparing food - if you have $200 for 4 people for a week I reckon you could have a pretty good go at preparing nutritious healthy food.

Nope.  For a family of four, you get $668 per month, maximum (I believe). That's $167/week for two adults and two growing kiddos. Or two growing and eating teens.

Nope.  For a family of four, you get $668 per month, maximum (I believe). That's $167/week for two adults and two growing kiddos. Or two growing and eating teens.

Right, which isa bit less. But I'm still not sold on the idea that it's more expensive to eat healthy food. For example - last night I made pasta and a vegetable sauce for the family. The ingredients were: an onion, a couple of carrots, a few mushrooms, a few garlic cloves, a red pepper, a tin of chopped tomatoes, a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil, a few handfuls of dried pasta, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs, a little bit of grated cheddar over the top to serve. I'm not sure what the total cost is - but not very much.