10 % rule is it really important with low distances? (Read 785 times)

Sorry about what might seem like ignorant questions but I'm trying to be as educated about running as I can get. I fell that I am ready to increase my distances but when I think of only adding 10% to 3 miles then I get 3.25 miles. Not really that much of an increase. Is it safe at these short distances to add say 1 mile to the run at a slower pace? That would be 33% but 1/4 mile just doesn't sound like it would be worth it.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think you can ignore 10% rule under 10 miles a week. If you are totally beginning running, maybe still keep to it, but if you have some experience and are just restarting after a break, I don't think it's a big deal.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I can't remember whether it was Pfitzinger or Daniels that suggested adding 1 mile per workout per week - so if you run 4 times a week then you can "safely" add 4 miles a week to your previous week's total. I think this makes a lot more sense, especially at lower mileage levels. Remember that the 10% Rule is a suggestion to help prevent injury. Having said that, I did not pay too much attention to it when ramping up my mileage - instead I would keep adding distance until I developed soreness/tiredness that I didn't have previously and then back off. Worked for me, but YMMV.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Thanks guys that is what I thought. I will add about a mile a week for a while.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

madness baby

I'd think about the 10% as being more of a weekly guideline than a per run guideline. Smile deb
            deb
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'd think about the 10% as being more of a weekly guideline than a per run guideline.
              Good point Deb. I don't know whether the original poster was talking about 1 run of 3 miles or 3 miles in a week, but yes, it's definitely a weekly guide. And to clarify, unless you're starting from scratch, I don't think it's really meaningful under 10 miles/week. I like the Bonkin/Pfitzinger guide.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.