New to site, have a question (Read 580 times)

bcallen42

Im new to the site and love it already. I used to run a lot playing sports and staying active. Since college ended I haven't been running as much as I should but have just started to get back into the swing of things. Right now I say I run about 2 miles a day, but here is the thing. Thanksgiving day, thanks to my older brother, I am running a 5 mile race. My question is what is the best way for me to get there. I have less than 2 months until race day. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to get from my 2 miles now to 5 miles in 2 months? Thanks in advance

Another Passion

There will be many better and more seasoned runners to chime in on this, but I would say just increase your mileage slowly. You have plenty of time to build up your mileage on any given run. Make sure you have good shoes, be consistent in your running (I am terrible at that), and increase your mileage as your body allows you. I know that last statement sounds overly simplified, but if you feel like you can do an additional mile on a run, you probably can. If it felt good and no pain, good, if not, back off. Slow and steady is best at increasing mileage though and again, you have plenty of time to do that.

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

If you are running 2 miles per day (even if only 3 or 4 times per week), and you have 2 months until your 5 mile race, then you have plenty of time to build up to being able to run 5 miles. The question is whether you want to run 5 miles as a jog, or as a race. You say that you ran in college; how much and how long ago? I'd recommend just gently easing back into longer runs each week, and maybe towards the end of October cut back a little before easing back up again. Do a 2.5 or 3 mile run on the weekend, and then work that up a little each week.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

bcallen42

I was on a soccer team in college that had practice almost daily (3 years ago) and since then I have been running every now and the but with no consistency until a few weeks ago when I found out I'll be in a 5 mile race. And I would like to run this 5 mile as a race not a jog. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to push myself a little further each week. Feel free to give more suggestions or advice for me. I am thinking right now 2.5 miles to me feels like 5!!! It's hard to belive that I can get there in less than 2 months

Another Passion

You'll be surprised at how quickly your mileage will progress as you are consistent with getting out on your runs. The converse will be true shortly in that your 2.5 mile run will feel like 1 mile. Just be patient. You also have youth and prior athletics on your side. Wink

Rick

Why is it sideways?

You'll be surprised at how quickly your mileage will progress as you are consistent with getting out on your runs.
              That's it. Just get out the door every day. The mileage will take care of itself. A little reflection about how to make running a part of your daily routine will go a long way. You might also try slowing down--particularly in the first mile of your run. A mistake that a lot of beginning runners make is that they start out too hard. This makes the whole run painful (and shorter than it needs to be). Ease into the run, and then when (if) you feel like the pace is too slow, then speed up--but not until then. Find a training partner. Friendly competition is always helpful. Every now and then, take off your watch/Garmin/HRM. Don't plan your route, and run in a new direction. Just go out the door without a plan, a distance, or pace in mind. Without expectations. As if it were a pick-up game of soccer. You might surprise yourself.
              bcallen42

thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. With all this running I will be doing and my healthy eating, I am expecting to buy a new wardrobe eventually. My only problem will be getting home from a hard days work and putting on my shorts and shoes and get going!
                  Just wanted to say welcome to RA! Cool This is by far one of the friendliest running sites out there, good luck and happy running!
                  ---- Cynthia
                  va

...My only problem will be getting home from a hard days work and putting on my shorts and shoes and get going!
                    This won't be a problem, once you start running on the morning, before work. Smile

Another Passion

That's it. Just get out the door every day. The mileage will take care of itself. A little reflection about how to make running a part of your daily routine will go a long way. You might also try slowing down--particularly in the first mile of your run. A mistake that a lot of beginning runners make is that they start out too hard. This makes the whole run painful (and shorter than it needs to be). Ease into the run, and then when (if) you feel like the pace is too slow, then speed up--but not until then. Find a training partner. Friendly competition is always helpful. Every now and then, take off your watch/Garmin/HRM. Don't plan your route, and run in a new direction. Just go out the door without a plan, a distance, or pace in mind. Without expectations. As if it were a pick-up game of soccer. You might surprise yourself.
                      See, I told you you'd be getting some excellent advice from some awesome seasoned runners like Jeff and Blaine! Big grin In the end, try and apply what makes sense to you, your schedule, your body type, present conditioning, and see what works best. It's trial and error, but be smart and err on the side of caution because you don't want an injury to set your progress back. Starting out slowly is key. My first mile today I think was a 10 minute-ish pace and then I gradually picked up. Happy running, my friend! Wink

Rick