NY times article on marathoning (Read 723 times)

vicentefrijole

Here's an interesting article on strategies athletes and trainers are using to cope with running in hot conditions or polluted cities (like the Olympics in China). It's pretty interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/18/health/nutrition/18mara.html?ex=1153886400&en=c7f701673a9081d5&ei=5070&emc=eta1
    Wingz

Professional Noob

My step-dad sent me that article earlier today (he used to be a marathoner). It's pretty interesting. I'd never thought of smog as a running condition before just like humidity and heat... I wonder what they're doing for that - high altitude training? Running with heads wrapped in a plastic bag? Taking up smoking? Ah, I know. Setting up an exercise bike inside a garage, closing the door, and starting the car. Workout's over when you pass out... And anyone else every hear of glycerin loading?

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When it is humid, sweat does not easily evaporate, so the body sweats even more. Blood volume drops, and the body has to make a choice: divert blood to the skin for cooling or divert it to the muscles for performance. It sends blood to the skin. That would certainly explain why I was so slow last night...it was so warm and humid (between two big storms). I felt like I could grab handfulls of the air and toss them around. By the time I was done I was soaked like I had been swimming in my clothes.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

And anyone else every hear of glycerin loading?
          I hadn't ever heard of it before this article... the principles make sense, but I'm not about to go swig a bottle... seems like a pretty sketchy idea unless you've got three trainers and a bio-mechanical-feedback engineer watching your every move. Wink It was also interesting how they were saying that any layer that you put on your skin (sunscreen for example) will prevent your sweat from evaporating as well and lead to decreased performance! It makes sense, I guess, but it's sort of alarming for me to think about running without SPF30 on... I think i'd burn terribly and then how would THAT effect my training/health? And I have read that skin cancer is a real big problem for life-long distance runners. Dead