What...is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? (Read 1423 times)

Yeah, and when you think about it, the measuring of distance is always going to have a margin of error, and this is just accepted because there's no way to get around it..... When you're running an 800 on the track, if you're in lane 8, when you start on the 2-turn stagger you run 300m to the cut in-point at the beginning of the front straightaway, so the stagger makes it accurate enough. But to get to the inside lane for lap two you have to take the hypoteneuse of the straightaway lane, which is going to be about 103 meters to the 100 meters of the guy who started in lane one. That's assuming you don't cut in immediately, which is a stupid move that many poorly-coached distance runners do.... In lane 8, you also don't get to see any of the other runners until they come up on you, which is a decided disadvantage even more than the cut-in...... I once ran an 800 on a 10-lane track, starting in lane 10, the stagger for which put me 2/3 of the way around the first turn at the start! I recall not doing very well.
    vicentefrijole

In lane 8, you also don't get to see any of the other runners until they come up on you, which is a decided disadvantage even more than the cut-in......
      Ah yes.. I remember that... sucks don't it? Tongue
      DeepSixx

My friends always said I looked like the guy on the cover.
        No one ever said that, Sean
        Res severa verum gaudia --Gustav Mahler
          Actually, Bierman thought it was a photoshopped picture of me when it was on our door. Go back to running-log.com.

Imminent Catastrophe

I have the Polar shoepod. It's generally better than 1%, which is certainly good enough for me.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

va

I have the Polar shoepod. It's generally better than 1%, which is certainly good enough for me.
              Hi PerfesserR, Have you take many accuracy measurements of the Polar shoepod? How did you take these measurements? Do you know what the manufacturer stated accuracy is? Regards,