Garmin Battery Replacement Service (Read 293 times)

Mysecondnewname

Not sure if this has been posted before (it didn't turn up in a search)--if so, I apologize for the repost.

I know the Garmin 410 is not liked by many, but mine has served me very well through several marathon training cycles.

As per usual, the battery started to go out after about 3 years of constant use.  Garmin was pretty expensive to replace the battery, and I was leery about doing the work myself.

I found this service on ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/200834361889?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNXBlushT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I was a little skeptical, but it was a whole lot cheaper than Garmin and promised improved performance.  Since my watch wouldn't hold a decent charge, I figured I didn't have much to lose.

I'm pretty impressed with the service.  Great communication, really fast service (got it back the same week I sent it in), and the battery now lasts a good 6.5 hours in training mode with continuous pace on.  I think he does other Garmin models as well.

I'm not connected to this service, financially or otherwise, but I thought I'd pass it along.

aplodder

Susan

Thanks for posting this.  I have a 305 that's dead and one that's going to die soon.  $35 is a lot cheaper than what Garmin charges.

Thanks for posting this.  I have a 305 that's dead and one that's going to die soon.  $35 is a lot cheaper than what Garmin charges.

Wondered why no one had offered up this service yet. Not as much market as the broken screen apple products, so not much money to be made.

Get off my porch

Mysecondnewname

You're most welcome. Smile

Please post back and let us know how it goes.   (Mine has worked out very well through a couple charging cycles now.)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

I am really glad you posted this as I was going to send my 405 in after next weeks marathon.  I was going to get one of the premium batteries that he says will last up to 10 hours.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

aplodder

Susan

I ended up going another direction.  My DH is fairly mechanically inclined and found some instructions online for replacing the battery in a 305.  We bought 2 ipod  mini batteries for around $8 on eBay, and some liquid electrical tape.  I think he used some glue or other sealant as well to help with water resistance.  He was able to replace the battery in my oldest/deadest 305, (it had about 4,000 miles on it when it died, so I didn't think twice about replacing it.) and it is working like new.  I never would have attempted it myself, as there was a little soldering involved.  However, if you are able to DIY, it's a cheap fix, and the iPod battery is supposed to be stronger and have a longer life than the Garmin batteries that you can also get on eBay.  The second battery will go into DH's 305, so both of them will be fixed for under $10.

That said, this post still helped out another friend with whom I shared the link.  He was very happy with the results, so thanks again.

Mysecondnewname

Hey, that's awesome!  Pretty cool, and nice work!

I'm glad your friend found the link helpful.

Chantilly75

a jewelry shop with a qualified repair person will change Garmin batteries for about $15.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Mysecondnewname

Chantilly75:

That's interesting and exciting news--have you had yours changed?  Were there any problems doing the soldering, etc?  What replacement battery did you use?

Chantilly75

It is just like a watch. They open it and change the battery.  I don't think they have to solder anything, but they have to unscrew something on the inside to get the battery out.

Maybe Garmin F60 and F70 are different on the inside than a 410?

Sonata Arctica

zonykel

It is just like a watch. They open it and change the battery.  I don't think they have to solder anything, but they have to unscrew something on the inside to get the battery out.

Maybe Garmin F60 and F70 are different on the inside than a 410?

Yes, it requires soldering.

Chantilly75

any good watch repairman has a soldering kit.

You could always ask if they are familiar with your model.

Sonata Arctica

Mysecondnewname

Yes, it requires soldering.

1+

I wish Garmin had seen fit to make the battery easily user replaceable.  (But then again, this way they can try to make you buy a new watch when it stops holding a charge).

Parenthetically, this "feature" also bugs me in the iphone.

Mysecondnewname

any good watch repairman has a soldering kit.

Perhaps, although I wonder if they charge more when soldering is involved.