Check box to confirm a PR? (Read 1629 times)

mikeymike

Eric, Is this possible/feasible? There are times, as you know, when a PR is not a PR. Like when you run an 8K and the course turns out to be 150m short (even if you just don't want to believe it because either way you know you ran a great race no matter what some guy's GPS says), or when you run a 16-miler on a hilly course in Derry, New Hampshire in January and it's zero degrees out with 35mph winds and it's the only time in your life you've "raced" that distance, etc. Not a big deal as we all know what our real PR's are, but it would be a nice to have. Thanks, Mike

Runners run

eric :)

Those GPS guys... they think they know everything. A PR is by definition the fastest time ran for a particular distance/course. The software can calculate that automatically. It probably won't be too convenient if everyone has to check a box to indicate PR. I think a better solution for the case where a PR is not a PR is by adding a check box to explicitly exclude a race from being considered. This way, everything not excluded can be tallied automatically, and require the least amount of work from users. eric Smile
      mikeymike

The "exclude" check box would be a welcome addition, thanks! I was just thinking there are some cases where you could have multiple PR's for the same distances. Abe brought up the steeple example where he would want to differentiate between a regular track 3000 and a steeple, but a runner could also have three different PR's at 5K for example for road, track and cross country. And it is possible to have a PR that is a split within a longer race, like a 10-mile PR from the 10 mile mark of a half marathon if the course and splits are certified (not sure how the check box would help with that example). A lot of these may be beyond the scope of the running log--but they are examples of when an actual PR is going to be different from what shows up. Personally, I run PR's so infrequently that the checkbox would not be inconvenient (and would be a chore I would welcome!) but I can see how I would be in the minority on that.

Runners run

I rather not click a box to indicate PR because the software can do that. I don't really remember what my PRs are, and I don't have to. The software will take care of it. It would be nice to have the ability to separate races by their type (road, xc, trail, etc). It can be done but I don't have time for that right now. Besides, I'm not really sure of the best way of doing that (allow you to pick from a list of categories, or use the route type etc). For now, we're stuck with what we got right now.
          mikeymike

Makes sense. Thanks!

Runners run

youngr

Another addition to the PR thing that would be nice is a steeplechase option. I run steeple but I can't see me steeple PR's because I have also raced the 3k flat and that time is faster. Is there anyway that you could add a feature to the PR thing so that i can see both my flat and steeple PR's?

Another addition to the PR thing that would be nice is a steeplechase option. I run steeple but I can't see me steeple PR's because I have also raced the 3k flat and that time is faster. Is there anyway that you could add a feature to the PR thing so that i can see both my flat and steeple PR's?
                Can I differentiate the race types by looking at the terrain? For example, if you mark a course as trail, then any races you do on it will be categorized separately from the rest. Would that work?

The Floor Walker

I'm not a steepler and never will be but I think there should be a way to get differentiate between the 3k steeple and the regular 3k. I've begun entering all my old collegiate races in RA and has got me to thinking about having seperate PRs for Track, Road, and Trail/X-C but I'm not sure that I want my PR list to be that cluttered. So, since you already have the option of checking of a course as track, road, trail, etc, perhaps this could be an added column in the race distance list , for example here would be my modified 10k race list: Date Event Course Type Surface Distance Time Pace 4/29/2007 Run Groton Road Race Race Road 10 km 37:57 6:07 9/17/2006 Run Portland Trails 10k Race Trail/XC 10 km 36:57 5:57 6/25/2006 Run Whirlaway 10k Race Road 10 km 34:43 5:36 8/13/2005 Run Bridge of Flowers 10K Race Road 10 km 37:29 6:02 4/8/2000 Run Tufts Invitational 10,000m Race Track 10 km 33:59 5:29 11/13/1999 Run NCAA District 1 - XC Race Trail/XC 10 km 34:28 5:33 This could be nit-picking and not sure if it'd even be useful. It could get even messier if you go even further by differentiating between Indoor and Outdoor track. Eh, just throwing some ideas out there, not necessarily something that is really needed. Matt [edit: apparently the spacing of my example table didn't show up in the post but I think you get the idea]

Matt, That is my concern too. It'll be too cluttered for most people. The solution would be to add more options to allow you to switch between the views. That too would clutter up some other page, and would definitely make the site harder to use. I'll worry about this when I overhaul the log pages.

The Floor Walker

Yea, forget I even asked. I actually like it the way it is right now.

Marquess of Utopia

I would also like to see at least a steeple or hurdle option. Currently my only PR for 3000 is my steeple race, but I've thought about running a 3000 meter race sometime. On the PR script: script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.runningahead.com/scripts/64cf3fe91ca547dbbadf40dc463ba1c2/records" Why did you choose 5 miles as a default distance over 8K? In my area there are very few 5 mile races and 8K races are almost as common as 5Ks. Which race is more common overall?
                          I'd like to have a separation of road races, cross country races, and track races. Occasionally I run into the same distances that are different times based on the different surfaces... Especially a track 5k vs. a CC 5k thanks as always!

Shut up and run.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd just like to be able to clear PRs from a year ago, because I'm old enough that competing against my younger self is a losing game, and will continue to be a losing game...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Lazy idiot

I'd just like to be able to clear PRs from a year ago, because I'm old enough that competing against my younger self is a losing game, and will continue to be a losing game...
                              This you should actually be able to do. Go to the workout that contains the PR, and check the box that says "Exclude from PR list".

Tick tock