Quick poll-- Old running shoes (Read 1128 times)

gpsrunner10

Quick question what does everyone do with all their old running shoes once they do not want them anymore?

gpsrunner10

Anyone? Do you throw them out?

I take them back to the running store; most stores have a drop box for them. What happens next depends on the sore. Some get ground up to make artificial turf, some get sent to Africa and handed out and I'm sure there are a lot of different things that can happen to them.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is there a point to creating 4 similar threads or do you not understand how message boards work?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh, snap!

Anyway, to answer the OP: same thing you do with clothes you want to give away - Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

Keep a pair for lawn mowing/ yard work.

Dave

Zoom-zoom be cranky.

Anyway...I have found that a lot of running stores WANT to take old shoes, but then they don't have anything to do with them once they get them, so they change their mind.

Nike used to have a program where they would take old shoes and send them overseas to Africa, or, grind them up and use them for tracks, but, it turned out that they got overwhelmed, and there were way too few places to take them.

So, you have to do a little research on what to do with the old shoes.

Until I find something definitive, I'm going to just drop them in the used clothing box.  Because no one around here will take them.

Jeff

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom-zoom be cranky.

4.5 weeks of 0 activity can have that effect on a person. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Usually races have a drop for old running shoes and they distribute them to the needy.

kaleidoscopeEyes

I keep a couple pairs in my car trunk for emergencies.  You never know when your car is going to sputter and die on a dark country road in the middle of meth country, and your cell phone is dead, and you have to get out and hoof it 5 miles to the nearest gas station, but you're wearing heels, so you have no choice but to hobble your way down Haunted Lane, and you're teetering so slowly in your dumb broad heels that you are easy pickins for the murderer skulking behind the tree, and it's over before it ever even began.  And as I fade out in a haze of chloroform, all I can think is, "If only I had had a pair of sensible old running shoes in the trunk...I could have easily run away..."

I also keep a couple pairs in the garage for general mud shoes.

And I give some away to my mom, who gives some to my aunt, and they use them to go work in their community garden.

And, I throw some in those clothing donation boxes, too.  But if it's a pair of NB with those bubble/waffle laces, or if it's a pair with laces that I just like the color (like silver/grey), I save them to keep for myself, and replace them with the plain, flat laces from another pair of shoes, before throwing them in the donation box.  I have also swapped out and saved the inserts to put in my walking around "fashion" sneakers because they have better support/cushioning than the "fashion" shoe inserts.

Bruno

+1 on the keeping a pair in the car trunk. I'll keep another pair for mowing the lawn/yard work. Any others either get sold at a yard sale or dropped off at a local running store-"Striders" that participates in Soles for Souls.

sugnim

If they are completely trashed, I toss them.  But I generally find that they make very comfy, casual walking shoes, so I keep them & wear them around the house & on weekends.

phred_qz

my podiatrist's office has a "soles for souls" donation box - they send the shoes to Africa so the pairs once I'm done running in I donate there. The pairs I'm done running in that become yard shoes/mud shoes I generally just keep in the garage until I hear of some collection that is recycling them for turf or stuff - seems like enough races do this over the year you don't have too much trouble finding one eventually.

50 Miles - done

41.6 Miles - done

26.2 Miles - done

...now it's time to get faster. 

Coastal

I donated some shoes which had a lot of use left in them to a high school.  A lot of schools have a "clothes closet" with used clothes.  These are collected mainly to give to needy students, but they often sell them for pennies to just any student who wants them.  The closet I gave them to uses the little money raised to buy school supplies which they then do the same thing with.  Some kids use the closet pretty heavily.  Shoes are a big one.  It's pretty common to see kids with blown out or ruined shoes.

As an aside, Prom type dresses are usually appreciated greatly by girls who otherwise would never have anything like that.

Walk-Jogger

I keep a couple pairs in my car trunk for emergencies.  You never know when your car is going to sputter and die on a dark country road in the middle of meth country, and your cell phone is dead, and you have to get out and hoof it 5 miles to the nearest gas station, but you're wearing heels, so you have no choice but to hobble your way down Haunted Lane, and you're teetering so slowly in your dumb broad heels that you are easy pickins for the murderer skulking behind the tree, and it's over before it ever even began.  And as I fade out in a haze of chloroform, all I can think is, "If only I had had a pair of sensible old running shoes in the trunk...I could have easily run away..." ...

That right there made this whole thread worth reading. Approve

(And why won't it let me write anything outside of this quotation box? Like down below, in the "normal" fashion?) 

Retired &  Loving It

Buelligan

I throw all my old shoes in my neighbor's tree.