Pain on the bottom of my feet. (Read 763 times)

Runningaround5

I got this pain when I first started running last year but it was due to old runners. It hurt for days, even when not running. The arches of my feet hurt and it goes across the bottom of my foot to the outer edge.  As soon as I got new shoes it went away.

Then I noticed it come back if I wore my Sanuk shoes the day before I ran, but it would only last a few minutes during a run and go away and never hurt when I wasn't running. I stopped wearing sanuk's and haven't had it again.

I didn't run for a month, friday I ran 3 kms, Sunday 3 kms, on Sunday's run I could feel the pain slightly. Today I did 5 kms, I had to stop and walk 3 times! I never have to. My feet both were killing me. The last km it seemed to go away, and my feet don't hurt now. The shoes I'm wearing now when not running are Toms, and my leather boots ( only 1/2" heel). I don;t know if one of those are the problem or something else. What do you think?

MrNamtor

Might be Plantar fasciitis

To put it in a stupid way, it can either be (1) running-related issue; or (2) non-running-related issue.  Anybody who runs would love to use a fancy term like Plantar Fasciitis or ITBS or compartment syndrome.  But actually I highly doubt it's PF simply because, from what you are saying, the pain seems to come and go.  If it's PF, you'll know it.  I'm actually leaning toward it's non-running-related issue.  Of course, that also includes running shoes.  Bear in mind; not every shoe is perfect.  What I mean is; sometimes a problem may occur during the construction of the shoe.  One time, I could feel the mid-sole rubber being a bit bumpy (most shoes are constructed in such way that the heel part is thicker than the forefoot and, in this particular case, I could feel the "angle" on the mid-sole).  So I had to slice off a piece of insole to make the adjustment.  These are not necessarily a "shoe-issue" but simply manufacturing issue.  It happens.  That could explain the bottom of the foot.  If it's the outer edge, it could very well be that the shoe is too straight and you're trying to shove a curved foot into a straight box and the outer edge can be pressed in.  If you feel a pain in one or more certain types of the shoe but not the other, that could very well be the cause of it.

That said, however, if you are planning on continuing running in the future, skipping for a whole month and all of a sudden get out and run 3k followed by 5k--although these are not much of a distance, if you're a beginner and if you have a long enough of a break like a whole month, that could be quite a stressful event--is not a smart move.  Particularly in the act of running, your feet would take a lot of pounding and slapping.  If you hadn't done that for a whole month and all of a sudden, you slap your feet a couple of thousands of times on a hard concrete, if you don't get some soreness in your feet, there's something wrong with your feet.  Be smart about the training approach.

I got this pain when I first started running last year but it was due to old runners. It hurt for days, even when not running. The arches of my feet hurt and it goes across the bottom of my foot to the outer edge.  As soon as I got new shoes it went away.

Then I noticed it come back if I wore my Sanuk shoes the day before I ran, but it would only last a few minutes during a run and go away and never hurt when I wasn't running. I stopped wearing sanuk's and haven't had it again.

I didn't run for a month, friday I ran 3 kms, Sunday 3 kms, on Sunday's run I could feel the pain slightly. Today I did 5 kms, I had to stop and walk 3 times! I never have to. My feet both were killing me. The last km it seemed to go away, and my feet don't hurt now. The shoes I'm wearing now when not running are Toms, and my leather boots ( only 1/2" heel). I don;t know if one of those are the problem or something else. What do you think?

Runningaround5

Lol yes I know! It was not my intent to take any time off. I'm actually signed up for a HM I. May that may not happen now. Unfortunately 5 kids and illnesses got in the mix. I'm feeling focused now!

I don't know that it'd be the shoe in that sense as it didn't bother me before and it's both feet.

I'm no doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. And I agree with Mr Namtor - sounds like plantar faciiitis. Ice, stretching, rollers, and rest.

best of luck to you.

Duke of Douchebaggery

Ok, I'm new on these forums but I am definitely NOT new to running injuries.

First, your injury does sound like PF.  The real test for that though is whether or not it hurts first thing in the morning.  Almost all cases of PF hurt first thing in the morning.

Second, you DO NOT have to stop training.  I ran two marathons including getting 3rd overall in a trail marathon with full blown PF.

Here's how you get PF into "maintenance mode" so that you can still train.

1. Go see a Podiatrist and get a night boot.  Yes, you can get them yourself but getting it through the pod might help get it covered by insurance and the pod can adjust it for you right there.  (some need adjustments)  Do not bother with the damn strassburg sock.  That thing works on very few people.  Probably just the genius who invented it.

2. Put two cans of frozen veggies in the freezer.  Now, after every training run you are going to take the can out of the freezer and roll your foot over it for 25 minutes.  This will reduce inflammation, help with the micro tears and improve healing.

3. Learn the "daffy" taping method.  Really, you only need to do this for long runs or any really impact heavy runs like intervals or something like that but you can do this for every run if the pain is a little much and more importantly you can do this for the event you're training for.

Note: you may have to adjust the tape lengths if your feet are Shaq vs. Munchkin sized.

a. Cut about 3 lengths about 5 inches each and then with your foot at about the same angle it would be standing, run them from just behind the ball of your foot back across your arch to your heal.  Be sure to spread them across the foot somewhat evenly.

b. Now start adding one strip at a time, overlapping them slightly across the foot from outside to inside.  Continue adding strips starting from just behind the ball of your foot and continuing to add them until you reach the front side of your heel.  It is important that you keep these strips pretty tight.

The result is a taping that will mimic the support your arches should have probably had in the first place.  When you first start to run with the taping it will feel awkward but you'll adjust to it.  If you feel pain though stop and either adjust or remove the tape.  Awkward = good, pain = bad.

Obviously if you can stop you should but if you want to train through PF it is an option.  And yes, eventually my PF healed up but it took me being diligent with the above steps to get there.  Skipping them at any point set me back days or weeks of recovery each time.

Good luck.

Village people

That is great stuff Floppage! I have been dealing with what I guess is PF for several months.

A question about the tape. Shouldn't shoes have the support you need or are you saying extra support. What about non-running shoes? I think these are my problem.

Duke of Douchebaggery

That is great stuff Floppage! I have been dealing with what I guess is PF for several months.

A question about the tape. Shouldn't shoes have the support you need or are you saying extra support. What about non-running shoes? I think these are my problem.

This is extra support.  Your shoes may very well have the support you need but the fascia is damaged at this point and isn't going to stretch and respond like it would normally.  By adding the taping you are essentially letting the tape do the work of the fascia.

Village people

Thanks. I'll just wear it all day.

Duke of Douchebaggery

Thanks. I'll just wear it all day.

Yeah...um...I wouldn't do that.  I wouldn't leave tape on my feet all day every day for weeks at a time.  I don't think that will go well for you.

Stick to just taping for your training runs.

Runningaround5

My feet aren't sore in the morning, or at all, other then during my runs. When this happened when I first started running, yes it did hurt in the mornings and during the day off and on. But it went away as soon I replaced my shoes so I never thought it was an injury.

Runningaround5

I need a visual Smile Is this it?

http://www.nismat.org/traincor/pl_fasciitis.html

Duke of Douchebaggery

I need a visual Smile Is this it?

http://www.nismat.org/traincor/pl_fasciitis.html

No, definitely not.  That's way overkill.  Try searching for "daffy taping method" on the RWOL forums and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of threads about it.  Somewhere in there I think someone posted pictures.

Runningaround5

Ok I've got it figured out, now stupid question. What kind of tape do I use? It looks like hockey tape LOL

Duke of Douchebaggery

Ok I've got it figured out, now stupid question. What kind of tape do I use? It looks like hockey tape LOL

Just standard athletic tape.  You can buy it at most sporting good stores or pharmacies.