Garmin 610 battery % goes down on charger??? (Read 59 times)

I did a quick search of this forum and didn't see this problem but if someone can point me to a thread with some solutions, I'd be grateful!

I have a Garmin forerunner 610 that I bought last fall.  It's worked great for close to a year but just yesterday I put it on the charger and the battery % went down instead of up.  I googled and found some suggestions on the Garmin forum (cleaning contacts and applying olive oil to contacts) which didn't solve things for me.  I haven't done a hard reset yet, that's my next step.  In the meantime, I'm hopeful that one of you smart people will have a solution : )

Thanks!

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

I've had this problem too. I think it was caused by a sloppy connection with that magnetic and spring loaded cradle. (I did find others on the net reporting a similar problem). I purchased a  new charging cradle. Haven't had a problem since.

JML

I had the same problem.  The design of the cradle is the issue.  I purchased one of these from my local hardware store and it fixed the problem (I bought the $2 dollar knockoff version).

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Wing

Joggaholic

I had the 405 and for the past year I have had a thick rubber band wrapped around the charging clip in order for the garmin to charge. Could be a similar loose-connection issue with your 610.

FSBD

I have this same problem all the time and it drives me crazy.

The best way I have found to deal with it is by cleaning the contacts on both the watch and the charger with wet wipes before every charge and using a clothes pin to hold the watch on to the cradle.

Then I check it to make sure the charge is going up instead of down if it is going down I pull it off and re-seat it on the charger a few times and that tends to do the trick.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

bluerun

Super B****

I have this same problem all the time and it drives me crazy.

The best way I have found to deal with it is by cleaning the contacts on both the watch and the charger with wet wipes before every charge and using a clothes pin to hold the watch on to the cradle.

Then I check it to make sure the charge is going up instead of down if it is going down I pull it off and re-seat it on the charger a few times and that tends to do the trick.

I do something similar with my 620 -- it used to charge down instead of up, and I tried a few different things before I found what seems to work for me.  It's more of a problem when it's hot out and the watch gets sweaty (as opposed to when I'm wearing it over a long sleeved top), so I dry the contacts right away, and if I see that it starts to look like it's corroding, I dab them with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.  Did the trick for me so far.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Sorry to hear I'm not the only one but thanks for the ideas!

I cleaned the contacts with windex and a toothbrush (didn't help) and tried putting a small drop of olive oil on the contacts (google leads to weird ideas sometimes; also didn't work).  I'll try clipping or rubber banding the charging cradle to the watch before I try the hard reset : )

I think Garmin wants me to do a firmware upgrade on the watch (a message popped up the last time I downloaded data) but I don't want to do that as I'm concerned it will make uploading to RA harder.  It took me a couple of weeks to get back to where I could upload to RA after I installed new drivers or whatever to put new maps on my Garmin Nuvi.

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April