Personal best, inclusive of each run type (Read 162 times)

Ari D

Is there a way to enable Personal Best to show the PR of my easy runs, or hill runs, vs only race PRs?

an amazing likeness

No, the log only considers activities logged as races for PR.

Out of curiosity, what would a PR for easy PR be?  Slowest or fastest run logged as easy? Longest run? How would that work...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I was a little confused too on how a PR could be set on an "easy" run.   On "Hill" or "XC" or other types of alternate terrain runs one can definitely set a PR on that kind of run, but I imagine the PR's are left to "races" only because the PR list might get quite cluttered and overcomplicated otherwise.

On a similar note, how about if below all of your timed PR's on the PR list, there was a little separation, then a a few more boxes for categories like a PR for "most weekly Mileage",  "Most miles in a single month" "most miles in a year", "most miles on a single long run"?   Maybe a few other select categories that folks can think of that could be listed there?  Could be autofilled from the data already entered in the log.

Since the weekly and monthly text totals on how many miles achieved falls off after 6 months, having a few separate boxes on the bottom of the PR page for lock in such items as most miles achieved in a week/month might be neat to have.     I can live without it, but just a thought.... Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

The question reminds me of an old thread ... which did at least produce this gem:

I can't speak for anyone else, but at a certain point the experience of running surpassed in value, and by a pretty wide margin, my desire to make sense out of it. 

I don't know why I run. I don't know why I race. I don't know why I compete. I don't need to know. Because running means more to me than curiosity. It goes deeper than knowledge. I run. I compete. I move on down the line. I'm a runner. 

For us runners, the question of “why” is pretty moot. Not because it may not be interesting, or important, from a certain point of view, but because we’ve left the question of the meaning of running behind. After all the questions have been asked, and all the answers given, in spite of the disagreement on essences, physiology, rationales, training strategies, trail running, road racing, i-pod wearing, mid-foot striking, turnover cadences, arm carriages, Jack Daniels, Arthur Lydiard, 20 miles a week or 100, 5k or the 50k, whether it's really the Miles of Trials or the Trial of Miles, after all the words have been spoken and keyboards have been pounded, meanings given and ideologies subverted... After all this, we runners bend down and tighten the laces, open the door, brace for the cold and are renewed: another godawful, glorious, and meaningless 8 miler.

Runners run

I like that guy.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Yeah, that's deep.  I think I am going to drink a couple beers and read it again for a different interpretation.

Yeah, that's deep.  I think I am going to drink a couple beers and read it again for a different interpretation.

You should time how long it takes to drink those two beers. The result is an instant PR.

npaden

On a similar note, how about if below all of your timed PR's on the PR list, there was a little separation, then a a few more boxes for categories like a PR for "most weekly Mileage",  "Most miles in a single month" "most miles in a year", "most miles on a single long run"?   Maybe a few other select categories that folks can think of that could be listed there?  Could be autofilled from the data already entered in the log.

Since the weekly and monthly text totals on how many miles achieved falls off after 6 months, having a few separate boxes on the bottom of the PR page for lock in such items as most miles achieved in a week/month might be neat to have.     I can live without it, but just a thought.... Smile

Something like this?

Runkeeper PR

That's from runkeeper.  You can filter it by the type of activity so you get your best hiking, cycling, etc.  I think you could get all of the above information from running a report here on RunningAHEAD, it would just need to be customized and saved.  Not sure how useful the numbers are, but some are interesting.  It's kind of funny that your "PR for duration could end up being a race that you actually bombed on, not your fastest race at a particular distance.  If I went out and ran a 5 hour marathon that would become my new PR for duration instead of when I covered the same distance in 3:48.  It would be a record for duration though.

I'm still waiting to break an average pace of 10:00 per mile on my 6 mile route that I run pretty frequently at an avg HR of 136 or less so I can go back and update my "Fastest Easy Run Ever" post from last year with some updated thoughts of my own.  I ran a 10:00 pace on that route at a 137 avg HR earlier this week so I'm pretty close.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The question reminds me of an old thread ... 

Nice pull, Mikey.  Legen-wait for it-dary thread.  My personal favorite:

I dunno man, for a guy that doesn't care what other people think and who only competes with himself, you sure have put a lot of thought into what other people think about their running. Interpret your running how you like. For those of us who do not PR in random workouts and whose PRs represent one triumph that stands out over a lifetime of struggle, failure, half-successes, and heartbreaking injuries most of your questions are pretty moot.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I do like this idea of a PR box.  Kind of interesting to look back at.  Although I could care less about Calories burned, Elevation Climb and Activities but would be a cool thing to have on the PR page.

Something like this?

Runkeeper PR

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

joescott

Although I could care less about Calories burned, Elevation Climb and Activities ....

Yeah, I for one will be disappointed if we go all cheesy here on RA with personal records tallying up all kinds of stupid stuff.  I rather like things the way they are where this website feels a little (or a lot) more like it belongs to serious runners as compared to cartoon-ish places like DailyMile and RunKeeper.  PRs are for racing.  This is not an impossibly high bar for people to achieve PRs.  Run a race.  Voila.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

You should time how long it takes to drink those two beers. The result is an instant PR.

I've been working on that beer PR for years.  I began that beer PR quest long before I ever started running, all the way back in my college days.    But since I just turned 40, and also since I don't drink as often now that I am a regular runner, that PR has not improved in quite some time.  Sad

Spouse says that since the beer times are increasing but the run times are decreasing still, that it is a good thing, so I'll roll with that opinion. Approve

PS.  Concerning adding things, on second thought I have to agree with JoeScotts point as well.  When I found RunningAhead, its logs and graphs were almost exactly what I was looking for.  Simple.  Clean.  Not too "cutsie", you know.  Straightforward.   Just about Perfect.   That said, if no additional PR info gets added for various things, I can agree with that.  For it does seem that once you start adding all of folks' suggestions, it can become a pandoras box + too much stuff would clutter it up.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Although I could care less about Calories burned...

Interesting. Your level of caring on this issue has apparently not bottomed out.   I, on the other hand, could not care less about calories burned.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

TJoseph

My wife decided to start running today.  She is technically challenged and asked me to setup the treadmill for her.  The only thing she wanted on the display was calories burned.  She ran/walked until she got to 325 calories and then stopped.  She doesn't know or care how many miles or minutes she exercised.  She also signed up for a 5K in about three weeks.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My wife decided to start running today.  She is technically challenged and asked me to setup the treadmill for her.  The only thing she wanted on the display was calories burned.  She ran/walked until she got to 325 calories and then stopped.  She doesn't know or care how many miles or minutes she exercised.  She also signed up for a 5K in about three weeks.

That could be an interesting idea for races:  The first person to 500 (1000, 10000...) calories wins.  The technology isn't ready yet, but picture the race.

And congrats to your wife!