New Marathon with Boston +30 qualifying standard (Seacoast NH) (Read 224 times)

Just curious what y'all think about this new* marathon being set up as a specialty race for folks close to BQing .  You must have a qualifying time within 30 minutes of your BQ time, or an equivalent half time, to register for the full. Must complete 13.1 in 2:15 to continue (with an exception for senior masters, if any, with qualifying times over 4:30)

http://locomarathon.com/qualifying-standards-loco-marathon/

The half** doesn't have qualifying requirements, but will have a "strict 2:15 cut off."  Given it's a double loop marathon course with a single start/finish, anyone know how that would be enforced?  Miles 10-13 of the loop are on a rail trail, so pulling folks with half bibs off the course would not be feasible until the last couple tenths, and pulling someone within sight of the finish line, well...  I guess they could just not provide an official finishing time to anyone over 2:15?

*The same company used to do a fall marathon a couple towns over in Hampton, but after a tragedy at a bike race last summer, that town has become less welcoming to running and cycling events.  So while a new event, the RDs do have an established track record for offering a fall marathon in the region.)

**I registered for the half immediately on seeing this.  My recent 10K predicts a 2:15 is within my grasp, and with 5 months to train for it, I think I can pull it off.  And the included rail trail is where I do a good portion of my running, so I couldn't resist.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I think this kind of marathon is interesting - get a group of very motivated runners who are within reach of their BQ, all trying to get their BQ. I'm within 15 minutes. I think a race like this could be fun - a small field of highly motivated runners sounds great.

But shoot. It took me to click through about four pages on this site to figure out where the heck this thing is held (Newmarket, New Hampshire).

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

I think this kind of marathon is interesting - get a group of very motivated runners who are within reach of their BQ, all trying to get their BQ. I'm within 15 minutes. I think a race like this could be fun - a small field of highly motivated runners sounds great.

But shoot. It took me to click through about four pages on this site to figure out where the heck this thing is held (Newmarket, New Hampshire).

Sorry, meant to include that in my description.

There already is a really good October marathon for New Englanders looking for a Boston Qualifier--one with a solid track record of turning out a really high percentage of Boston qualifiers year after year. It's called Baystate.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to limit the field to people who've proven, "they're capable of attempting to qualify for Boston." Plenty of people qualify for Boston in their first marathon, for example.

Basically the Loco guys are using Boston as a hook when there's no real connection to Boston, other than like any other certified marathon, you could use it to qualify.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

There is another marathon in RI with the same sort of idea...the Exeter (old name?) / Gansett marathon.  Here's the qualifying info page.

When I read the Loco race announcement, my reaction was they were using the BQ hook to deal with the course time limits (4.5 hours for the marathon) imposed by the area they are in (can't close road crossings or block rt 108)  as well as adding a marketing "hook".

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

If I lived close, i'd likely be interested in it. But I wouldn't travel to it. I think the Indianapolis Monumental is a good race for a BQ attempt that is relatively close to Columbus. I'm attempting a BQ at that race this fall.

Opps - modified as I mixed up granite_running with Duckworth as to where they live.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

xhristopher

The last I looked at Gansett it seemed like it was going dormant. They tried moving to the fall and now I don't think they are running it at all this year.

If I were Loco I'd have looked at how well it worked out for Gansett. Of course Gansett had more restrictive qualifying times.

I think the whole concept is a little wierd. My take on the Loco event is that they want to have the course closed in 4:30. It would be much more interesting if they pulled a school bus along at 4:30 pace, like a grim marathon reaper, that scoops people up who fall off pace.

L Train

If I were running a fall marathon in New England, and I wanted a qualifier, it would be Baystate 10 out of 10 times.  And they have a half as well.

Feeling the growl again

It appears they simply want the course clear in 4:30 and a 2:15 HM cutoff keeps it clean so full marathoners don't start catching the back of the HM pack on the second time around.

As for the within 30 minutes of Boston angle, A) it's an established set of standards so they don't have to figure out and manage their own, and b) being within 30 minutes of a BQ is >1min/mile away, that's not really close.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jfa

If I were running a fall marathon in New England, and I wanted a qualifier, it would be Baystate 10 out of 10 times.  And they have a half as well.

You sold me.

I'm there.

The LOCO guys do put on a good race - I've run a few and really enjoyed them all.

Being from Massachusetts if I wanted to run a fast (what ever that means in a Marathon) and wanted a well organized race, I'd probably stick with BayState.     The BayState marathons is very well organized and has great BQ success.........Good group that puts it on...

Champions are made when no one is watching

DaBurger

It would be much more interesting if they pulled a school bus along at 4:30 pace, like a grim marathon reaper, that scoops people up who fall off pace.

I wouldn't want to be driving that bus.

Know thyself.

Not sure why they'd want to limit participation rather than get more people and $. It seems like a strange marketing gimmick, I can't see how it would really attract people. I fall into the target group of being within BQ+30. But towards the high end of that, so I don't actually consider myself close. But if I was close, I would pick a race primarily on convenience of location/timing and speed of the course. I couldn't care less whether other runners there are faster or slower.

Dave

It appears they simply want the course clear in 4:30 and a 2:15 HM cutoff keeps it clean so full marathoners don't start catching the back of the HM pack on the second time around.

As for the within 30 minutes of Boston angle, A) it's an established set of standards so they don't have to figure out and manage their own, and b) being within 30 minutes of a BQ is >1min/mile away, that's not really close.

Agreed.  I think 30 minutes could be close enough, if we are talking about someone new to running and/or new to marathons.  Still, it's pretty generous.

xhristopher

I wouldn't want to be driving that bus.