RIP Dreadmill (Read 1054 times)

It finally happened. My treadmill died. Now my true training begins. Now I have the battle of trying to find the time to run outside when it doesn't impact my family...and... now I'll be forcing my body to cope with hills better...AND now I have to really deal with the weather and all the elements that go with running in the great outdoors. It is gonna be a long winter. My treadmill has spoiled me the past years. I'm curious to see what this does to my body, and how/if I'll improve better without the treadmill. I'm a bit worried that my mileage will suffer. Time to HTFU. What a way to start out the new year. Roll eyes

Michelle

I am curious to see how you do outside..making the switch to the outside.. I run outside for every run. Hubby has done his training runs on the treadmill, and the long runs (1 x per week)outside.
      Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
      Timbodeener

I would gladly sell you mine but my 13 yr old daughter has decided to start usinig it recently... For some reason I just have a terrible time running on a treadmill. I can cover 4 miles outdoors in the time it takes me to run 3 miles on the TM and I feel less fatigued running outside.... I just can't figure it out...I only use it if its raining pretty hard out or there is a lightning storm happening....other than that it's out the door I go. Good luck and I know you'll love being out in the fresh air more!
          I am curious to see how you do outside..making the switch to the outside..
          I like running outside, and I do a fair amount outside, but it's always a matter of "ideal" conditions. I was very quick to rule out the outdoor running with my trusty treadmill inside calling me. Roll eyes I'm going to view this in a very positive way - there are things I need to work on and running outside is the only way I will get better at these things (hills for one...). I'm thinking that over time my body will adjust to running outside all the time. Until now I've run outside, knowing that those runs were easy runs for the most part and that my faster pace runs or medium to tempo runs would be on the treadmill where I could run non-stop and on a softer surface. WAY back in HS I was always dealing with shin splints and stress fractures. I fear those will start to be an issue for me with more outside running. But, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe with more outside running my body will adapt better than I think it will. Mostly I'm concerned about the time factor. The treadmill allowed me to be inside with my youngest son when/if nobody else was home to watch him. It also allowed me to be in the house to ensure that my older kids were up when they were supposed to be. Now I may talk to my boss about taking up some more time during my lunch and just having me stay a little later. Since I don't get home from work until 5:30 (on the average) it's too dark to run then. A lunch run would be nice but having a little more time than an hour would be very helpful.
          I would gladly sell you mine but my 13 yr old daughter has decided to start usinig it recently... For some reason I just have a terrible time running on a treadmill. I can cover 4 miles outdoors in the time it takes me to run 3 miles on the TM and I feel less fatigued running outside.... I just can't figure it out...I only use it if its raining pretty hard out or there is a lightning storm happening....other than that it's out the door I go. Good luck and I know you'll love being out in the fresh air more!
          Thank you. I find that I run more on the treadmill because it's easier for one, and it's non-stop for another. Where I live there are so many streets that I have slow to cross and depending on when I go there is a lot of traffic. The only developments that are more continuous running are the ones that are super hilly. Which is fine for some workouts, but when I'm looking for a nice easy long run, local is not the way to go. I'll be heading to my favorite park to run for my long runs, which is about a 12 minute drive from my house (not too bad at all for the weekends). I think that I'll enjoy the fresh air but I have a feeling I'll be facing some very frustrating moments along the way. And now that I'm saving up to have spending money for my trip to Ireland I won't be able to save up for a new treadmill any time soon. Oh well. My husband is happy that the treadmill finally died. He hated how I ran inside. Tim - Do you still ref and where? Is that you in your avatar?

Michelle

Durring the fall time I was running on campus outdoors. Now that the winter break has come, I'm running at the gym on the treadmill. I can't wait to get back outdoors, cold or not. I think the transition is not as hard as you imagine. Good Luck. Jonathan
            I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
            Timbodeener

Tim - Do you still ref and where? Is that you in your avatar?
              Michelle, Yep I still ref and I work various rinks around central PA (I live in Altoona, Pa). That is me in my avatar but it was a pic my daughter took last year....I'm about 22 lbs lighter now thanks in part to getting back into running again! Wow, a trip to Ireland?? That is something I hope to do one day....I'm jealous.... Happy New Year! Tim

Me and my RP

I recently sold mine. When I first started running, I would ONLY use the treadmill. I spent the first 18 months on the hamster wheel and swore I would NEVER run outside (except for the occasional 5k). Late winter/early spring of '07 I wanted to start running with a partner. We started running outside and it was amazing. When I was doing the treadmill, I couldn't imagine running outside. I thought it would be horrible, too taxing and completely kill my desire to run. It took me about 2 or 3 runs to get 'used' to running outside and found I did *much* better on outdoor runs. About 3 weeks ago, I had a 5 mile scheduled run to do but the weather was horrible so I thought I'd just run it on the treadmill and watch Pushing Daisies. My outdoor runs can range anywhere from 8 min/mile to 9min/mile. On the treadmill? 11 min/mile!!!!!!! And I didn't like I couldn't change my pace naturally. I had to either speed the thing up or slow it down. I never have to pay attention to that outside. I just do what my body tells me. I ended up hurting my foot on that run as well. That put a bad taste in my mouth so I put it in the paper the next day. LOL Thankfully, I live in SC so we don't have harsh winters. Having said that, this is my first winter running outside and it has taken some adjustmentsSmile Oh and new running gear!!Smile But I'm much happier running outside and hopefully, you will be too!
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Michelle, good luck with the outdoor running! I don't like treadmills at all. This was the third snowiest December on record in southern Maine, and I had to resort to the treadmill only one time. But Thursday will be my next time, because it's going to be around 1 degree F with a wind chill of -14. Too much for me!! I might like the TM more if I had one at home, but I don't, so I have to drive 8 minutes to the Y. Teresa
                  dfffff

I can't do treadmills at all. I'd rather run 10 miles in -20ºF than 1 mile on a treadmill. Consider yourself liberated.
                      Treadmills=super boring. I find it's also way to easy to give up and get off, where as if you've run somewhere, and you still have to run home, you have a really good reason to keep running!
                        Treadmills=super boring. I find it's also way to easy to give up and get off, where as if you've run somewhere, and you still have to run home, you have a really good reason to keep running!
                        I like your avatar Kate! I agree, the treadmill can be boring, but for me it offers a chance to run with nothing getting in my way and I can put on music and tune the world out. When I run outside, around my neighborhood, I am on guard and can't always enjoy a run as much as I'd like to, or gain the most from it. Getting to run at a park always helps me appreciate running outside more and does make the thought of running on the treadmill seem like a punishment. Smile I've used that theory of having to run home as a way to get me to run to new places. I'll start with my usual route at home and then remind myself that in order to get a long run in I really need to do an out and back with no option to cut the run short. So, I'll just start running in one direction and go until my Garmin tells me it's been half of what I want to run and then I head back. It's actually a pretty cool way to get to know all the back roads in my town, although coming across unexpected hills, suddenly ending sidewalks, one lane bridges, and creepy dead-ends isn't any fun! But in order to get home I need to keep on running! Big grin

Michelle

The Plodder

I don't know the actual breakdown (will probably get around to looking at some point), but i am pretty sure that 70%+ of my miles in 2007 were done on the treadmill. I now try to do more of my runs outdoors and must say it is more enjoyable, but unlike it seems everyone else on the thread i seem to run slower outdoors than on the treadmill - i think i am a bit worried that i might tire miles from home, and i have no idea about pace whilst outdoors - i don't look at my stopwatch between leaving home and getting back. I only started running in Jan 2007, so felt extremely self concious running in front of people (in gym its a safer environment) I did most of my training in my lunchtime from work, so need shower facilities etc - could just change at gym I suppose! I do know that in my 12 week training for my first HM I only did 4 outdoor runs
                            I don't know the actual breakdown (will probably get around to looking at some point), but i am pretty sure that 70%+ of my miles in 2007 were done on the treadmill. I now try to do more of my runs outdoors and must say it is more enjoyable, but unlike it seems everyone else on the thread i seem to run slower outdoors than on the treadmill - i think i am a bit worried that i might tire miles from home, and i have no idea about pace whilst outdoors - i don't look at my stopwatch between leaving home and getting back. I only started running in Jan 2007, so felt extremely self concious running in front of people (in gym its a safer environment) I did most of my training in my lunchtime from work, so need shower facilities etc - could just change at gym I suppose! I do know that in my 12 week training for my first HM I only did 4 outdoor runs
                            I'll have to check out my percentage of treadmill miles for last year, I'm curious about that now. I'm sure it's a high number! Last winter I pretty much didn't step foot outside (to run) from November till March! I run faster on the treadmill because (in my opinion) it is easier (no hills, no turns etc). Before having a Garmin to run with I always had to run the same mapped out courses and felt limited. I'm also not very good at pacing myself so running without a partner or my watch I would tend to run too fast to start and get tired too quickly. The treadmill helped to pace me and in that way, I gained some endurance. One of my weaknesses are hills, and the treadmill certainly doesn't help me with that. Running outside I feel will help me become a better runner, provided I am able to find enough time to run miles that are worth the while. I can understand your thought of not wantint to run in front of others at first. When I first got back into running and headed outside to attempt running a mile, I felt silly. I didn't view myself as a runner and felt silly for being out there. But, over time that feeling went away. Now I'm at the point where I like when people see me out there running (just for the sake of how I'm out there doing something healthy!). With winter being here and now with no treadmill, I have to figure out how to dress and accept that sometimes I'll just end up looking silly with all those layers and my hat and maybe even a headlamp at some point (my husband will have a good laugh at that thought).

Michelle

Kenotic Runner

I actually now have two treadmills. I got a new one last year which I really like. I have space (in a dedicated exercise room) and didn't get rid of the old one. I really hate running on the old one but the kids will join me sometimes. I'll be getting my gear on and the conversation goes like this... Kid: Where ya going? Me: Running. Kid: Why don't you run in the basement? Me: I suppose I could. Would you join me. Kid: Sure. Me: What are you going to do? Bike? Run? Lift weights? Kid: Dunno. Me: Well let me change quick. [Changing for running inside instead of a winter run.] And we go downstairs and we turn on Hanna Montana (ugh) or Sponge Bob (more ugh) depending upon which kid is joining me for the workout. I generally don't like running on a treadmill but it is worth it just to have a kid join me and to have them workout too. I'm looking forward to it warming up and having one or more of the kids bike beside me outside.
                                The motor is dead, it's an easy fix. I like to run a hilly county road because it has a huge shoulder. But I also enjoy running on the mill afterward. The mill gives a different workout that can only enhance your running overall.. Ask Alberto Salazer.