Stretching Before and After Running (Read 603 times)

The Runner Life

I recently wrote up an article about stretching before and after running, mostly about the importance of dynamic stretching rather than static stretching before heading out to run.  I'm still a believer in static stretching after running, especially at nights to help loosen up a bit.  What are your thoughts on stretching?

I do very little static stretching before my runs. The only exception is my achilles and calves. I have to do those or I'm in big trouble.

I would do more dynamic stretching if I had time. But, I normally just start my runs slow and let my body warm up on it's own.

Afterwards, I statics stretch my calves, quads and hamstrings. 

The Runner Life

Usually if I am headed out for a really easy run I do minimal dynamic stretching also

Feeling the growl again

I do very little static stretching before my runs. The only exception is my achilles and calves. I have to do those or I'm in big trouble.

I would do more dynamic stretching if I had time. But, I normally just start my runs slow and let my body warm up on it's own.

Afterwards, I statics stretch my calves, quads and hamstrings. 

Yes.

Extremely rare to stretch before a run, unless I am coming off a really brutal workout (typically a fast long run) where I am sore and tight from the get-go.  I run as slow as I need to in order to get moving and warm up, and let the pace come on its own.

The past few months I have had absolutely terrible tightness issues in my hips/abs.  Long story short I have come to believe that  a lack of faster paced running and a lack of flexibility are, at least in part, at fault.  So now immediately after a run I stretch the hell out of everything involves.  Often painful but, slowly, the issues are receding as a result.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Black-Toe-Nailed

I personally never stretch.

The studies regarding the benefits of both types of stretching, static and dynamic, are inconclusive. I am of course speaking about running and more or less "advanced" runners.

I do recommend stretching to the beginners I am training with (we have a little group in my company and I as the most experienced runner act as trainer, sorta). The reason is that the extra exercise is beneficial just as extra exercise. And people starting with sport are by definition extremely inelastic. Besides, dynamic stretching is a good warm up.

The best approach that I have read about stretching is that some individuals may not need it while others may benefit from it. IMHO this would shed light on the fact that some people swear on stretching while others (like me) steer clear from it.

It's an extremely interesting topic though and a good article. I will definitely recommend it to my "pupils".    

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
            then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
            I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

The Runner Life

Yes.

Extremely rare to stretch before a run, unless I am coming off a really brutal workout (typically a fast long run) where I am sore and tight from the get-go.  I run as slow as I need to in order to get moving and warm up, and let the pace come on its own.

The past few months I have had absolutely terrible tightness issues in my hips/abs.  Long story short I have come to believe that  a lack of faster paced running and a lack of flexibility are, at least in part, at fault.  So now immediately after a run I stretch the hell out of everything involves.  Often painful but, slowly, the issues are receding as a result.

I definitely start out much slower in the beginning as well after very hard workouts.  Most times my first mile is 1-2 minutes slower than my average ends up being, especially after a long run.

How do you go about stretching your abs?  I've tried some of the yoga type stretches but I haven't really found any other way to stretch them.

The Runner Life

I personally never stretch.

The studies regarding the benefits of both types of stretching, static and dynamic, are inconclusive. I am of course speaking about running and more or less "advanced" runners.

I do recommend stretching to the beginners I am training with (we have a little group in my company and I as the most experienced runner act as trainer, sorta). The reason is that the extra exercise is beneficial just as extra exercise. And people starting with sport are by definition extremely inelastic. Besides, dynamic stretching is a good warm up.

The best approach that I have read about stretching is that some individuals may not need it while others may benefit from it. IMHO this would shed light on the fact that some people swear on stretching while others (like me) steer clear from it.

It's an extremely interesting topic though and a good article. I will definitely recommend it to my "pupils".    

My college roommate never stretched at all, and he is a 15 minute 5k, 25:00 5 miler, and 1:13 half marathoner.  I believe he has also never been injured as well.  It certainly makes me wonder at times if there's something to less stretching.

For more beginning runners, I completely agree with you that stretching should be more important.  Especially so for those who have not been as active as others.

I dont stretch before or after (sometimes a little bit after but not usually).

About 1 1/2 years ago, I started going to YOGA classes once or twice per week and then doing my YOGA most days but away from my runs.    Like I might run during lunch time and then do YOGA in the evening.  That worked very well for me because after a few months the YOGA really limbered me up.  I couldn't quantify that it actually helped my running, but it seemed to me like it did.

When stretching just before or after runs, I have often ended up with pulled muscles or injuries.....probably because I over stretched and hurt something so I dont think it was stretching that caused the problem, rather my lack of technique that caused the problem...

Champions are made when no one is watching

The Runner Life

I have heard so many people say how yoga has benefitted their running.  Apparently there is all kinds of different strength and flexibility benefits that can help make one a better and stronger runner.