Jogging Stroller (Read 179 times)

superspike113

Honorary Old

Jfellers- As I said before, I have a chariot, it handles ok on bumps and stuff but just for ease of running I run in the shoulder to avoid all the on/off/up/down with the curbs on the sidewalk.   My son is now 19 mos and getting heavier to push, he is also a little less content in the stroller since we took his binky away, but he usually has patience for a 45 minute run if I bring books and talk to him about our surroundings.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

AlexaCT

For those with kids:

~Did/do you use a jogging stroller? Yes

~Which brand/model? Baby Jogger Summit Double

~What did you like/dislike about it? I like that its comfortable for the kids.  I hate that I feel like I'm pushing a Buick with its parking brake on.

~Did/Can you run with a "non running stroller" assuming it's something pretty sturdy and not an umbrella stroller (City Select or Britax B-Ready maybe)? I have a City Select w/ second seat as well.  There is no way I could run with it where I live because as soon as the sidewalk pitches to one side, the stroller pulls badly.  I did run with my son in my single City mini but that was more of a post-pardum trot than a run

~What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)? I started when my youngest was 5 months, maybe?

~Is it worth getting a double (I have twins) or should I get a single and just plan to take one kid out at a time. TOTALLY take one kid at a time if you can.  (and if you can, God bless you.  I'm jealous)

In theory I guess I could get a longer run --take one out for a run, bring her home, pop him in, go on more of a run. In reality, I bet I'd still get just one run in and my wife would make me come home but maybe then she could go on a run with the second kid.

I can and I will!

DukeDB

For those with kids:

~Did/do you use a jogging stroller?  Yes.

~Which brand/model? Now, Baby Jogger (old-style, simple).  Past: Baby Jogger City Elite, InStep 10K

~What did you like/dislike about it?  I like the simplicity of the old style Baby Jogger and the big wheels with metal spokes. The InStep was generic but got the job done.  The City Elite was good as both a jogger and an everyday stroller.  Some suspension is nice for little one and pusher alike (springing the mass makes the effort easier)

~Did/Can you run with a "non running stroller" assuming it's something pretty sturdy and not an umbrella stroller (City Select or Britax B-Ready maybe)?  In a particularly obsessive training cycle I once ran five miles with a 50 lbs. child in a Britax Spitfire (big umbrella stroller) but I wouldn't recommend it.  The City Elite was fine for both purposes, ran a 5K race with it, but all strollers take a lot of abuse and it's worthwhile to share the burden between 2.

~What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)?  Depends how smooth the ground is and how fast and smooth you are.  6 months at the latest, I'd say.

~Is it worth getting a double (I have twins) or should I get a single and just plan to take one kid out at a time. In theory I guess I could get a longer run --take one out for a run, bring her home, pop him in, go on more of a run. In reality, I bet I'd still get just one run in and my wife would make me come home but maybe then she could go on a run with the second kid.  *** Get the double.  The weight isn't much of a penalty over the single.  My youngest son still likes the stroller at 65 lbs. / 4 years and we still roll 10+ on occasion.  I don't know your particular situation, but getting both children out of the house for an hour or two should earn you points while leaving one at home might cost you!

Buy on Craigslist and see how you and your children like it.  Some of my sons never did, but mercifully my little one actually asks for it.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Great advice everyone, thanks!

I should add that I plan to almost all of my running where I currently do, which is a nice paved 3.3 mile loop of Prospect Park in Brooklyn.  2 blocks from where I live now.  So, there won't be any curbs or bumps or cars to navigate. Should be smooth sailing!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

xhristopher

ultramarathon/triathlete

I don't think it would fit both of my twins :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

Dave:

I have a jogging stroller. I currently have the Croozer 535 double. I usually try to get to the running trails (there's a good trail system here in Ottawa) but it seems to do fine on curbs.  It's extremely light and easy to push, but will tend to pull a little bit depending on which side the kid is on or which side the bigger kid is on. (I've got 26 mo and 8 mo). I also like that the front wheel comes off very easily to convert to either a normal (albeit very wide) stroller (small swivel wheel) or a bike trailer (nice trailer hitch system as well) It lacks suspension a little bit when we hit the bumps warning of the road crossing on the bike path.

I ran quite a bit with the older guy with the Babytrend expedition - it's a swivel jogger, and it's what we used for the bucket car seat. It was our only stroller until getting  an umbrella, then the double and double jogger when boy 2 came. The double is worth it.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks again for all the info.  I ended up going with a BOB double.  Not sure which one, but in a nutshell, they're sponsoring me -- I'll review it / write several blog posts about my experience and everyone is happy - they didn't say which one they were sending and I of course don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I'll just wait to see what arrives (sometime this week, apparently).

So, yippee!  Now I just need to train those little peeps to strengthen their neck muscles so I can start running with them!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

Now, if I could only get Cabella's to send me one of theirs...

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

Thanks again for all the info.  I ended up going with a BOB double.  Not sure which one, but in a nutshell, they're sponsoring me -- I'll review it / write several blog posts about my experience and everyone is happy - they didn't say which one they were sending and I of course don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I'll just wait to see what arrives (sometime this week, apparently).

So, yippee!  Now I just need to train those little peeps to strengthen their neck muscles so I can start running with them!

I've looked enviously at the BOB ones... they're out of my price range, and I couldn't find one on Kijiji. The suspension on them looks jammy.

Don't worry, it feels like forever until you're running with them, but I bought a sling (3-6 months on the box) for my younger boy and he was too big for it in no time.

Dream Maker

When looking at price range, look closely!  Used ones you buy on Craigslist are usually held up well AND they maintain their value better for resale than the cheap jogging strollers.   I found that it had a higher investment but actually worked out much cheaper with both the Jogger II w/ 16" wheels and the Chariot Cougar than with the cheap strollers - and way easier to run with.

I've looked enviously at the BOB ones... they're out of my price range, and I couldn't find one on Kijiji. The suspension on them looks jammy.

Don't worry, it feels like forever until you're running with them, but I bought a sling (3-6 months on the box) for my younger boy and he was too big for it in no time.

I agree it's not worth cheaping out. I didn't consider the Croozer double a cheap-out, it's very similar in construction to the Chariot. I like it better than the Chariot, myself. I do like its lower COG than the BOB, with my old Babytrend jogger (which actually did quite well for me) I had some hairy cornering experiences (My son loved them). The suspended nylon seat seems okay as suspension, but the trailing arm suspension on the BOB looks nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Croozer-Double-Bicycle-Trailer-Silver/dp/B001GAP5DA/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3

niralemma

I used manduca baby carriers for my daughter as it was very comfortable and also we don't have to keep on adjust the handle bar. You can start riding your baby when they are at the age of 3-4 months depending on your baby's growth.