Stress Fracture - Help!! (Read 813 times)

I had a third metatarsal stress fracture one year ago. Now that I am starting to train for a marathon, my stress fracture site is incredibly sore. I am so afraid it is going to crack again and ruin my trip to the Country Music Marathon. Does anyone have this problem? I've seen a podiatrist, who was definately not a runner, that really didn't offer much help.
    Richard21142

Go see an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sport's medicine.
        I'd second Richard. There are other things you COULD do meanwhile. If you've had a stress fructure at the same spot, it is possible that you still do have a "hot spot". Icing is always help for any type of soreness (though not much you can do once you get a full-blown stress fructure; so start icing!). Fill up a paper cup with water and freeze it; once frozen, peel off about a half an inch of paper from the top. This way, you can hold a cup without freezing your fingers. Apply the ice in a circular motion so you are actually ice-massaging, not just simply putting the ice pack on the area. Do this after the run (or any other exercise) and a couple of more times throughout the day (don't get too obsessed about it; once I had a sciatica and I was icing the spot--well, my glute--a little too much and I actually got frost-bite on my butt!). This might be a bit scarey thing to do but cut off a hole of about a size of quarter where the sore spot is on your insole. If "nothing there" feels weird, place something softer than regular insole--maybe you can fill in the spot with Dr. Schule's whilte insole (usually softer) to protect the area. But the best bet for you would be stay off your feet for a while--not to stop running completely; but maybe try eliptical machine or pool running if you have an access to it. Even stationary bike to stay in condition for the marathon. Sometimes metatarsal can be caused by tying the shoe lace too tight. I swear by Lydiard lacing which is a bit complicated and takes a bit of getting used to but you can try that as well. We have a diagram here: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/lacingthelydiardway.html This seems to take pressure off your metatarsals. But if in doubt, see the professional who understand runners. Good luck!
          Thank you so much for your help! I did schedule an appointment with an orthopedic, but of course I have to wait a month. I did do so icing and the pain has subsided for now, so I am going to try the lacing thing tonight! Thanks again!
            Amylynn: I'd have to give you a warning; the lacing is rather complicated. If the shoe has one of those D-ring type of lacing eye-lets, it's even worse. Wouldn't work too well if you have an odd-number eye-lets on one side. If the material out of which the shoe is made is very soft, it may wrinkle up... So, yeah, it could be a mess! What I usually doif you have issues #1 or 2 is; I'd cut off those D-ring thingies and punch holes; or punch an extra hole to make it even-number... For an issue #3, I just do a "regular" lacing. The thing is; I used to have a trouble with a pain on the top of my feet. It took me a while to switch to this lacing system--I was in New Zealand and Arthur himself harrassed me with this for quite some time. But once I switched to this lacing, I hadn't had the pain on the top of my shoes ever since. There are quite a few people still down there (as well as Australia) who do this lacing. Certainly not a main-stream lacing; but Dick Quax did it; Pricilla Weltch did it; I believe Rob de Castella did it too. I got to know this coach in Japan whose runner was doing this lacing system. She was a 2:26 marathon runner in the 80s. Takes a bit of getting used to. But play around with it.

Sandi Sue

I was experiencing some problems with my foot recently in the second metatarsal area and went to see a podiatrist. He recommended custom orthotics because my pronation (arches collapsing) issues were getting worse with age. In the meantime, he sold me a set of gray superfeet to use until I got the custom orthotics. The problem was corrected with the superfeet insoles but I still had him make the custom orthotics. Long story long, I wonder if you are having some pronation issues and that is causing your feet problems. My feet are better now.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever