Not good race strategy leads to a new PR (Read 888 times)

So today I had a meet at my highschool and I was running in the 1600m/anchor leg of a distance medly (1200m-400m-800m-1600m). Once I got the baton I was WAY to hyped up and started in a almost a sprint. When a senior on my team caught up to me(I was on the B team so I got the baton later) he told me to draft off of him. Trying to keep up with him was a BAD idea. By the 800m split I was wicked tired but still wanted to PR but I heard as I crossed the 800m marker my time was 2:59. I literally freaked out and turned in to turbo mode. I managed to finish the race with a PR of 3 seconds at 5:52. But a quick question which do you guys think is better: consistancy or fast and slow laps?
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm no expert, but I generally assume even splits are more optimal. But I've PR'd off of fast starts myself -- my guess is that I'm afraid to go out fast enough to PR unless I'm caught up in adrenalin with other people.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

keeponrunning

I personally feel consistency is important- saying that, though, my first 200m is almost always faster than the 200-400m point...

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I personally feel consistency is important- saying that, though, my first 200m is almost always faster than the 200-400m point...

Yeah thats usually the deal with me too. Good to know.

mikeymike

In a race that short, going out fast is not a bad strategy.  If you analyze well run mile races, the first and last 200 are usually the fastest.

Runners run

bblack

Consistency probably what your suppose to do, but yesterday i got suckered into a 70 second first lap in the 2 mile and went through the first half in 2:29 when i was aiming for under 10:50. I ended running 10:55 with a 5:17 mile then a 5:38.
              joescott

That's the beauty of racing.  Once in a while you can do something seemingly stupid and end up with a surprisingly wonderful result.  Run without fear.  

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.