2014 Gardening Thread (Read 186 times)

Prince of Fatness

It is getting to be that time.  Use this thread to ask questions, or just to relate what you have going on in your lawn, garden, flowerbeds, etc.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

After the coldest and snowiest winter in 20 or so years the snow has melted and I can see some tulips, etc., come up so spring finally is here.  There have been years when I have already cut my grass a couple of times by now but I am still a few weeks away from that.  Potatoes get planted in a week or two.

Not at it at all. 

relate what you have going on in your lawn, garden, flowerbeds, etc.

Snow, snow, snow, etc.

Dave

Joann Y

Poked around the other day after the snow melted. Hyacinths, muscari, daffodils, etc still in hiding. Noticed a few tiny buds on my roses(!). Creeping thyme looking good under all the dead leaves. Behind on getting seeds started. Poppy seeds need to go in the garden this weekend. If it warms up like it's supposed to, might have an opportunity to get some much needed garden clean up done which I neglected last year. Haven't been to the community garden plot yet.

Feeling the growl again

Last weekend a couple miniature hollyhocks were trying to put some green up; I transplanted a couple bushes and there was still frost 6 inches down.

Snow today.  Real spring is still a long ways off here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Village people

We are expecting snow tonight.

Last year I had an expected big crop of peaches. I plan on being better prepared this year. I need to do some research and see what else will grow here.

sugnim

I will be starting our tomato seeds in a week or 2.  I need to prune our apple & cherry trees.  I probably should prune our gooseberry bushes too--they're pretty wild.  I might also do some frost seeding for grass, kale, and spinach.  Other than that, it is not quite time to think about gardening yet.

#artbydmcbride

After the coldest and snowiest winter in 20 or so years the snow has melted and I can see some tulips, etc., come up so spring finally is here.  There have been years when I have already cut my grass a couple of times by now but I am still a few weeks away from that.  Potatoes get planted in a week or two.

Yay!

I plan to plant tomatoes and peppers here next weekend. 

Runners run

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Everything is still under snow in my garden.  Except for my blueberry bushes, but only because they are tall.  Normally I can see garlic shoots by now.  Not this year.

I'm at a loss at when to start my seeds.  Normally I bring the cold frames up from the garden and put them in front of the house so I can put the seedlings outside during the day and bring them in at night (I don't have indoor grow lights).  But I'm pretty sure the frames are still frozen stuck to the ground, and our daytime air temps are not above freezing yet.  I may wait until mid April.  Which will make it tougher to get my longer season crops finished, like the hot peppers.

Leah, mother of dogs

Prince of Fatness

My challenge this spring will be my surgery for a torn labrum in my hip.  I have two more weekends to get some stuff done then I will be on the shelf for several weeks,  Luckily I have neighbors and family that can help out with the outside work.  At a minimum I will get the potatoes planted and the mower tuned up and running.  Frost sensitive plants don't go in until late May so I should be able to do that myself.  Given the severe winter we are several weeks behind which should help.

Not at it at all. 

#artbydmcbride

You may be able to do gardening while recuperating...

Runners run

smcman28

What are the best things to grow in boxes or porch-top containers? My husband loves gardening and our space is limited. I would love to maximize the space we have!

Joann Y

What are the best things to grow in boxes or porch-top containers? My husband loves gardening and our space is limited. I would love to maximize the space we have!

You looking at flowers, vegetables, and/or other? How big of containers? What is the exposure - full sun, shade, wind, etc.?

(almost anything will grow in a container in the right conditions)

Feeling the growl again

Tomatoes and peppers will work, and provide worthwhile yields.  Beware tomatoes require full sun or you will get a huge plant with little or no fruit.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Joann Y

For the indoor gardeners... Christopher Walken on SNL  https://screen.yahoo.com/googly-eyes-gardener-000000217.html